Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 LastLast

Thread: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Beans

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I know people weren't big fans of the last time I switched Psychocats over to a blog format, but the static pages are a bit difficult to maintain, and I think ultimately search engines glom onto relevant content, so for Raring Ringtail, I'll be switching back to a blog format for the Psychocats tutorials. Stay tuned! And thanks in advance for your patience and understanding. Any change can be frustrating and take some getting used to.
    You should consider using a wiki page that only you have access to edit. This has a host of advantages over a blog format, including:

• Allows you to keep a history of changes to pages, and compare revisions
    • Allows people to follow changes via RSS (blogs support RSS, but don't add a new entry to the feed when you just modify an existing article)
    • Extremely easy to make edits via web-based interface
    • Article URLs are predictable, and attractive to search engines

It may take me a couple of weeks to update, but I'm downloading Raring via torrent at home (I'm at work now), so thanks in advance for your patience (those of you who actually look at my tutorials).
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to this. I was thinking of trying some different desktop environments on one of my Linux boxes again, but was disappointed to see that your info hasn't yet been updated for Raring. Your site has been very helpful over the years

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, my updating Raring plans kind of fell through... at least a comprehensive update. Truth be told, I may not do many updates at all in the future. I had grand plans to keep this up indefinitely, but things have been getting busier at work, and I've honestly been using Ubuntu less and less. If you're "dog fooding" and using Ubuntu every day, it's a lot easier to keep up up-to-date and relevant tutorials. Most of my time these days is in Windows, Mac, Android, and ChromeOS. I'm also trying to teach myself PHP and MySQL (to use at work but also for personal enrichment). Ubuntu desktop has fallen a bit by the wayside for me. It is possible that if Ubuntu Touch gets off the ground in a real way, and I can flash it and use it every day on my Nexus phone and Nexus tablet that I'll revive the tutorials to be Ubuntually relevant. Time will tell. I'm glad the tutorials have been useful for the past eight years. Maybe they will be useful again one day.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yeah, my updating Raring plans kind of fell through... at least a comprehensive update. Truth be told, I may not do many updates at all in the future. I had grand plans to keep this up indefinitely, but things have been getting busier at work, and I've honestly been using Ubuntu less and less. If you're "dog fooding" and using Ubuntu every day, it's a lot easier to keep up up-to-date and relevant tutorials. Most of my time these days is in Windows, Mac, Android, and ChromeOS. I'm also trying to teach myself PHP and MySQL (to use at work but also for personal enrichment). Ubuntu desktop has fallen a bit by the wayside for me. It is possible that if Ubuntu Touch gets off the ground in a real way, and I can flash it and use it every day on my Nexus phone and Nexus tablet that I'll revive the tutorials to be Ubuntually relevant. Time will tell. I'm glad the tutorials have been useful for the past eight years. Maybe they will be useful again one day.
    It happens to everyone. I've been moving away from using Ubuntu daily/weekly since I got a Debian box setup at work and on my VPS. Use what works for you.

My own website is kinda in the same condition - I haven't had time to go thru and update things to make sure they work with the latest versions of Ubuntu, so there is now a disclaimer saying which versions I have tested them on.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yeah, my updating Raring plans kind of fell through... at least a comprehensive update.
    well that's too bad. i mean the way they were made was really easy for those starting with Ubuntu.

i hope that the ones already published remain. as they are still a great resource.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, I'll definitely keep the old ones on the site. They're datestamped "last modified," so people can take it or leave it in terms of how up-to-date they are (or aren't, really).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Time will tell. I'm glad the tutorials have been useful for the past eight years. Maybe they will be useful again one day.
    Would you be willing to relicense them as Creative Commons so we could move them to Ask Ubuntu or the Ubuntu Wiki so they could be community maintained?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    Would you be willing to relicense them as Creative Commons so we could move them to Ask Ubuntu or the Ubuntu Wiki so they could be community maintained?
    +1

Great idea

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. Let me get together a list of URLs and their associated images that I can license out that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

<snip> ....Time will tell. I'm glad the tutorials have been useful for the past eight years. Maybe they will be useful again one day.
    Aysiu, the tutorials took a lot of work, that's obvious. And they have been much appreciated! Life does go on, indeed. Good alternative ideas here, as long as you feel comfortable with them.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Add my voice to those expressing appreciation for your work aysiu. Your site saved me hours of heartache on more than one occasion.

Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 LastLast