Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Beans

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

I've been working on some non-pae installation/conversion options for 12.04 and wanted to give you a heads up in case you hadn't already considered the implications for the DE conversion part of your great tutorials.

You probably know that Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and probably Edubuntu will ship with the PAE kernel in 12.04, but both Lubuntu and Xubuntu will ship with non-pae.

As I've tried to parse the conversion from a non-pae Lubuntu install to Ubuntu it's important to note that one must be sure to watch what's going on with the packages "linux-headers-<version-number>-generic-pae" and "linux-headers-generic-pae", or most importantly the removal of the non-pae versions if converting Lubuntu or Xubuntu to one of the other DE's on a machine that lacks PAE kernel support.

On a side note, probably something you've already considered, I find it's best to never remove any plymouth theme or lightdm greeter packages.

If you wish you can read more here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1951653

Hope I'm not just being a pain in your neck

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the heads-up, kansasnoob. I'll have to do a bit of experimenting when 12.04 comes out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I just want to let you know that your site has been an indispensable source of information for me from the start. I especially like the way it tries not to be an Ubuntu only resource but also mentions variants.

When I help others with support related questions, I often refer then to pages on psychocats. One of the most useful things on the site is the "Pure KDE" etc tutorials.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Thank you for all your help & guides, I have found them very useful and linked to some of them from our site - hope that's okay. I noticed that the guides on 'fix sudo' and 'forgot password' no longer work (using 11.10) because you need to select 'remount drives with read write permissions' before 'dropping to a root shell'. Here is the link to our guide : http://fernhilllinuxproject.com/guid...tpassword.html
    Hope this helps, and thanks again for the psychocats website.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll do some more testing to see if that's really the case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you for your guides, they really helped when I accidentally deleted my administrator password (I wanted it to automatically log on when I closed my laptop lid).

I have a suggestion to add to your walkthrough. I'm using 12.04 and in order to change the password i had to mount "/" with read/write privileges and the guide didn't mention that so I thought I'd let you know. Other than that the guide was perfect, thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, someone mentioned that above. I'll be updating all tutorials for the official Precise release, and I'll be sure to amend the recovery mode ones accordingly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Yes, someone mentioned that above. I'll be updating all tutorials for the official Precise release, and I'll be sure to amend the recovery mode ones accordingly.
    12.04 recovery menu here doesn't give me a mount drives option in the menu - the first 6 options ask if I want to mount drives read/write.

The root shell doesn't ...

Perhaps a bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ry/+bug/982134
    Last edited by Elfy; April 15th, 2012 at 09:17 AM.

Beans

aysiu, where do you get the time to do all this work?

I hate doing documentation and what you do just boggles my mind

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That's probably the difference--I love doing documentation. And seeing it help people also motivates me. That said, I don't like doing a ton of revisions between releases. I'm mainly taking notes now for what to look into for the official Precise release coming soon.

Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast