Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Regarding that post.

You recommend not to use a seperate slice for /home if the disk is smaller then 30Gb. I think having a seperate home partition is a valid option even with a 10Gb disk.

Ubuntu uses roughly (depending on your installation) 5-8GB. Excluding logs in /var/log (roughly 500MB). Having a seperate home will make sure that the rest of your disk, 22Gb can be allocated to /home (or less, if you need swap space).

What I would advise is to have a root partition around 5-10Gb, 2Gb swap, and the rest for /home.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by slakkie View Post
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Regarding that post.

You recommend not to use a seperate slice for /home if the disk is smaller then 30Gb. I think having a seperate home partition is a valid option even with a 10Gb disk.

Ubuntu uses roughly (depending on your installation) 5-8GB. Excluding logs in /var/log (roughly 500MB). Having a seperate home will make sure that the rest of your disk, 22Gb can be allocated to /home (or less, if you need swap space).

What I would advise is to have a root partition around 5-10Gb, 2Gb swap, and the rest for /home.
    It's just a personal recommendation. Obviously it's up to each user to assess what works best for her.

I appreciate that other people have other preferences, but to a new user who doesn't know any better, I think it's best to stay conservative.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, if you feel that way
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for that site. It has helped me a few times and I am sure that at some time I will need it again.

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slakkie View Post
    Ok, if you feel that way
    I don't mean to sound dismissive. What I've found over the years is that you can't make everyone happy, and the wider your audience, the more suggestions are at odds with each other. If I'd recommended people create a separate /home with a 20 GB hard drive, I'd get people suggesting that 20 GB is too small and people will run out of room. If I left out a suggestion altogether, people would suggest I put in a recommendation, since new users won't know what's a reasonable size to have a separate /home partition.

I definitely value each suggestion I get, even suggestions I do not end up implementing. It's good to know the diversity of needs and preferences out there, and my hope is that if my site can't serve particular groups of users then other sites can fill in those gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by running_rabbit07 View Post
    Thanks for that site. It has helped me a few times and I am sure that at some time I will need it again.

Thank you.
    You're welcome. Glad to be of help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I don't mean to sound dismissive. What I've found over the years is that you can't make everyone happy, and the wider your audience, the more suggestions are at odds with each other. If I'd recommended people create a separate /home with a 20 GB hard drive, I'd get people suggesting that 20 GB is too small and people will run out of room. If I left out a suggestion altogether, people would suggest I put in a recommendation, since new users won't know what's a reasonable size to have a separate /home partition.
    You don't have to explain yourself. It is your site and you decide what you want to publish. If you think recommending what you are recommending for beginning users that's fine (experienced users would probably not need that page to create a seperate homedir). I just think differently, but I'm not going to push and scream because you are not following/implementing my suggestions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No, that's totally cool.

I just don't want people to be discouraged. I do appreciate every suggestion I get.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for a gr8 'hands on' I used the methodology.

I hope you don't think that I'm being picky, but .....

With dual-boot systems spare primary partitions are getting rarer than hens teeth & chicken lips (Try going into your local 'sub' and asking for a "Chicken Lip Sandwich, with Mayo, Salad, Hold the onion"...)

I shrunk the partitions I wanted to create unallocated space, then I tried to make the partition on my extended area that had swap on it.

I'm not sure why, hence the question, but it would not allow me to create a partition within my extended area for the new /home. I had to remove my /swap and then re-add both /swap and /home.

Also, on my trawls on such matters I was advised that rsync is the better method of copying over the old home to the new home area.

Code:
    sudo rsync -aS /old/home. /new/.
    Where old & new are as per your tutorial.

I'd be grateful of any response to the above points.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This "http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/nonfree" just allowed me to upgrade my older desktop to 9.10. Awesome, I needed those drivers to run it correctly!
    * Challenges are meant to be overcome;
    so adapt, attack and overcome! *
    http://www.feralbytes.com/

Beans

Hi I was reading on the site and it was very interesting. As a recent convert to ubuntu myself it would be nice if you could add something about setting up a native dual boot (particularly from vista). I recently did this and I found it surprisingly easy but it took me a long time (and several questions in the beginners section of this forum) before I had enough knowledge and confidence to try.
    Angus

Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast