Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 673

Thread: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

  1. #331
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Beans
    1,731
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

    Regarding that post.

    You recommend not to use a seperate slice for /home if the disk is smaller then 30Gb. I think having a seperate home partition is a valid option even with a 10Gb disk.

    Ubuntu uses roughly (depending on your installation) 5-8GB. Excluding logs in /var/log (roughly 500MB). Having a seperate home will make sure that the rest of your disk, 22Gb can be allocated to /home (or less, if you need swap space).

    What I would advise is to have a root partition around 5-10Gb, 2Gb swap, and the rest for /home.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

  2. #332
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by slakkie View Post
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

    Regarding that post.

    You recommend not to use a seperate slice for /home if the disk is smaller then 30Gb. I think having a seperate home partition is a valid option even with a 10Gb disk.

    Ubuntu uses roughly (depending on your installation) 5-8GB. Excluding logs in /var/log (roughly 500MB). Having a seperate home will make sure that the rest of your disk, 22Gb can be allocated to /home (or less, if you need swap space).

    What I would advise is to have a root partition around 5-10Gb, 2Gb swap, and the rest for /home.
    It's just a personal recommendation. Obviously it's up to each user to assess what works best for her.

    I appreciate that other people have other preferences, but to a new user who doesn't know any better, I think it's best to stay conservative.

  3. #333
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Beans
    1,731
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

    Ok, if you feel that way
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

  4. #334
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    1,934
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

    Thanks for that site. It has helped me a few times and I am sure that at some time I will need it again.

    Thank you.

  5. #335
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by slakkie View Post
    Ok, if you feel that way
    I don't mean to sound dismissive. What I've found over the years is that you can't make everyone happy, and the wider your audience, the more suggestions are at odds with each other. If I'd recommended people create a separate /home with a 20 GB hard drive, I'd get people suggesting that 20 GB is too small and people will run out of room. If I left out a suggestion altogether, people would suggest I put in a recommendation, since new users won't know what's a reasonable size to have a separate /home partition.

    I definitely value each suggestion I get, even suggestions I do not end up implementing. It's good to know the diversity of needs and preferences out there, and my hope is that if my site can't serve particular groups of users then other sites can fill in those gaps.

    Quote Originally Posted by running_rabbit07 View Post
    Thanks for that site. It has helped me a few times and I am sure that at some time I will need it again.

    Thank you.
    You're welcome. Glad to be of help.

  6. #336
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Beans
    1,731
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I don't mean to sound dismissive. What I've found over the years is that you can't make everyone happy, and the wider your audience, the more suggestions are at odds with each other. If I'd recommended people create a separate /home with a 20 GB hard drive, I'd get people suggesting that 20 GB is too small and people will run out of room. If I left out a suggestion altogether, people would suggest I put in a recommendation, since new users won't know what's a reasonable size to have a separate /home partition.
    You don't have to explain yourself. It is your site and you decide what you want to publish. If you think recommending what you are recommending for beginning users that's fine (experienced users would probably not need that page to create a seperate homedir). I just think differently, but I'm not going to push and scream because you are not following/implementing my suggestions.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

  7. #337
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

    No, that's totally cool.

    I just don't want people to be discouraged. I do appreciate every suggestion I get.

  8. #338
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North West England
    Beans
    2,654
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

    Hi,

    Firstly, thanks for a gr8 'hands on' I used the methodology.

    I hope you don't think that I'm being picky, but .....

    With dual-boot systems spare primary partitions are getting rarer than hens teeth & chicken lips (Try going into your local 'sub' and asking for a "Chicken Lip Sandwich, with Mayo, Salad, Hold the onion"...)

    I shrunk the partitions I wanted to create unallocated space, then I tried to make the partition on my extended area that had swap on it.

    I'm not sure why, hence the question, but it would not allow me to create a partition within my extended area for the new /home. I had to remove my /swap and then re-add both /swap and /home.

    Also, on my trawls on such matters I was advised that rsync is the better method of copying over the old home to the new home area.

    Code:
    sudo rsync -aS /old/home. /new/.
    Where old & new are as per your tutorial.

    I'd be grateful of any response to the above points.

    Regards,

    Phill.

  9. #339
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bitburg, Germany
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

    This "http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/nonfree" just allowed me to upgrade my older desktop to 9.10. Awesome, I needed those drivers to run it correctly!
    * Challenges are meant to be overcome;
    so adapt, attack and overcome! *
    http://www.feralbytes.com/

  10. #340
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    244

    Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

    Hi I was reading on the site and it was very interesting. As a recent convert to ubuntu myself it would be nice if you could add something about setting up a native dual boot (particularly from vista). I recently did this and I found it surprisingly easy but it took me a long time (and several questions in the beginners section of this forum) before I had enough knowledge and confidence to try.
    Angus

Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •