Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Excellent website, I've had it bookmarked for quite a while now.

You don't assume your readers have a high expertise, so your tutorials are very easy to follow, yet even the "experts" can learn from the tutorials.

One issue I've been researching recently is automatically mounting ntfs partitions. Your tutorial seems a little out of date. Please see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009 for the easiest, and it seems, safest way to auto-mount(a word?) ntfs partitions for all us dual booters.

This is not a complaint by any means, it is my way of trying to give something back to you.

I'd be glad to do a rewrite of this issue for your web-site(with your editorial approval of course) if you'd like.

Thanks for your efforts to educate us all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Even what you linked to I linked to at the bottom of that page, and it's a bit outdated, too.

I'll work on revising that page.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I've revised the Mount Windows page:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows

I've also renamed the old page (and it's referenced by the new page at the bottom):
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindowsfstab

Beans
    Hidden!

aysiu, this is awesome Thank you very much!

I am always glad to see that ubuntuforums supports Psychocats, CafeLinux.org, Ubuntu-Geek's blogs and other great Open Source/Linux projects, blogs, and how-tos.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I've added a new page for Wubi:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/wubi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I used your tutorial to create a new home partition in Ubuntu. It did not work for me and in the end I had to new install. I am not blaming your tutorial. I encountered three problems which complicated the matter for me.
    The first and second problem were identical and concerns the 2 commands below:

cd /old/home
    find . -depth -print0 | sudo cpio --null --sparse -pvd /new/
    sudo mv /old/home /old/home_backup
    sudo mkdir /old/home

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 nodev,nosuid 0 2

In the first command I was not sure if third word in the command namely -print0
    ended with a capitol letter "O" or a zero "0", and in the case of the second command was this a "O" or a "0" in nosuid 0 2,
    Looking at it now in this thread it is obvious that it is a zero, but on your tutorial you used a black background, that made it impossible to spot the dot inside the circle. I assumed it was an capitol O.and entered it as such.

The third problem was when I got to the nano text, your tutorial says add this line: /dev/hda7 /home ext3 nodev,nosuid 0 2
    Well as a newbie to Linux and the command line etc, I had never seen the nano texter before, and the cursor was blinking right at the top line, and here I then gave the command.I do not know if this was correct or if I should have moved the cursor down (if that was at all possible)
    Anyway if I did add it at the wrong line, I also added it wrong as I still believed the 0 was an O.
    (I know I could have done a copy/paste of the commands, but I was reading the tutorial on my laptop whilst working on my PC, and anyway I wanted to gain some experience with typing the commands myself))
    The pc crashed and would not boot again, not even with the Ubuntu live cd. I had to go in with a live GParted, delete all partitions and re-install.
    Before trying this again I would like you to confirm that it is a zero, and where/which line in the nano texter the last command should go in.
    May I further suggest that you change the background of the commands from the current black in your tutorial to some background that will show the dot inside the circle of the zero, to prevent others from making the same mistake.
    Apart from these few issues it is a good tutorial, and if it works, which unfortunately I cannot yet comment on, I will be very pleased.
    Have a nice day.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm sticking with white on black, but I would highly recommend you copy and paste commands instead of retyping them. I'll revise the tutorial to say that.

Beans

Cool Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Is it possible that your tutorial "Create a separate home partition in Ubuntu" is out of date? Does fstab require a UUID for the home partition these days? Either way I am unable to make it work. Here is my fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/sda3
    UUID=3991bd01-9cfd-4558-bed9-c8a117540658 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=734ff907-02d7-4328-aded-577107590c9b none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/sda6
    UUID=b2e0ca61-c3a0-4bad-b73d-47c952a2264c /home ext3 nodev,nosuid 0 2
    I would also like to suggest marking your posts to indicate what version of Ubuntu the tutorial is written to or has been tested on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Every tutorial is supposed to work with the latest version of Ubuntu, as I've indicated in the FAQ:
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php#howoftenupdated

And the separate /home one no longer makes no mention of UUIDs, as far as I can tell.

Beans

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates: Moving /home

Thanks aysiu for the nice post. I will post shortly about my experiment on this. I would also like to know how to mount a particular external hard disk to a particular mount point every time it is plugged in. (editing fstab is the solution, is it possible to mount by HD ID). This will be helpful to take backups.

Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast