Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Getting Back to a Pure Gnome on Ubuntu inaccuracy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    That hasn't been my experience, but then again I haven't tested it out in a couple of releases. Can someone else verify this as the case in Ubuntu 8.04?
    yup, it removes the package, but leaves everything inside behind

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Getting Back to a Pure Gnome on Ubuntu inaccuracy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin11951 View Post
    yup, it removes the package, but leaves everything inside behind
    Well, I'll have to change those instructions, then.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

on pure gnome page, the command to remove kubuntu has a space in "apt- get install ubuntu-desktop".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    on pure gnome page, the command to remove kubuntu has a space in "apt- get install ubuntu-desktop".
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I don't know how that happened!

It was on the Pure Xfce page, too.

Beans

For New Users:
    [url=http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/]
    Thanks for the link. Was wondering what pyschocats was.
    Btw, your first link is wrong. IT has a " at the end and fails.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by airjaw View Post
    Thanks for the link. Was wondering what pyschocats was.
    Btw, your first link is wrong. IT has a " at the end and fails.
    Thanks. I've fixed it.

Beans

Thanks. I've fixed it.
    you're welcome. I'm not sure how this thread went 17 pages without anyone noticing.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

the pure xfce command for ubuntu has lots of extra spaces. I assume the kubuntu part suffers from the same problem. They are easy to find, they all follow a dash. So all "- " should be replaced with "-"

Here is the corrected command for removing ubuntu and installing xubuntu:
    ps - why dont you use the tasksel command for install xubuntu: sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop^ ?

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove alacarte bluez-gnome brltty brltty-x11 bug-buddy capplets-data cdrdao cli-common compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins compizconfig-backend-gconf contact-lookup-applet dcraw deskbar-applet diveintopython ekiga eog espeak evince evolution evolution-common evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common evolution-exchange evolution-plugins evolution-webcal example-content f-spot fast-user-switch-applet firefox-3.0-gnome-support firefox-gnome-support gconf-editor gedit gedit-common gimp-gnomevfs gimp-python gnome-about gnome-applets gnome-applets-data gnome-control-center gnome-desktop-data gnome-doc-utils gnome-media gnome-menus gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-nettool gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-session gnome-settings-daemon gnome-spell gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes gnome-user-guide gnome-utils gnome-volume-manager gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-tools gtkhtml3.14 gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse hwtest hwtest-gtk launchpad-integration libalut0 libao2 libarchive1 libart2.0-cil libcdio-cdda0 libcdio-paranoia0 libcompizconfig0 libcurl3 libdecoration0 libdeskbar-tracker libdirectfb-1.0-0 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-6 libedataserverui1.2-8 libeel2-2 libeel2-data libegroupwise1.2-13 libexchange-storage1.2-3 libexempi3 libflickrnet2.1.5-cil libgconf2.0-cil libgdata-google1.2-1 libgdata1.2-1 libglade2.0-cil libglew1.5 libglib2.0-cil libgmime-2.0-2 libgmime2.2-cil libgnome-pilot2 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2.0-cil libgnomevfs2-bin libgnomevfs2-extra libgpgme11 libgpod-common libgpod3 libgtk2.0-cil libgtkhtml3.14-19 libgtkhtml3.16-cil libgtksourceview2.0-0 libgtksourceview2.0-common libgvfscommon0 libgweather-common libgweather1 libicu38 liblpint-bonobo0 libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil libmono-addins0.2-cil libmono-cairo1.0-cil libmono-corlib1.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-data-tds1.0-cil libmono-data-tds2.0-cil libmono-security1.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip0.84-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-sqlite2.0-cil libmono-system-data1.0-cil libmono-system-data2.0-cil libmono-system-web1.0-cil libmono-system-web2.0-cil libmono-system1.0-cil libmono-system2.0-cil libmono0 libmono1.0-cil libmono2.0-cil libmtp7 libmusicbrainz4c2a libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libneon27 libopal-2.2 libopenal0a libopenobex1 libpam-gnome-keyring libpisock9 libpisync1 libpt-1.10.10 libpt-1.10.10-plugins-alsa libpt-1.10.10-plugins-v4l libpt-1.10.10-plugins-v4l2 libpth20 libpulsecore5 librarian0 libsamplerate0 libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-alsa libsgutils1 libsmbclient libsoup2.4-1 libsqlite0 libtracker-gtk0 libvorbisfile3 libwpg-0.1-1 libwps-0.1-1 libx11-xcb1 libxml2-utils mesa-utils metacity mono-common mono-gac mono-jit mono-runtime mousetweaks nautilus nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-data nautilus-sendto nautilus-share o3read obex-data-server openoffice.org-base-core openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-common openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-gnome openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-style-human openoffice.org-writer pkg-config pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-hal pulseaudio-module-x11 python-gmenu python-gtksourceview2 python-uno rdesktop rhythmbox rss-glx scim-bridge-agent scim-bridge-client-gtk seahorse sound-juicer sqlite sqlite3 ssh-askpass-gnome tangerine-icon-theme tomboy totem-mozilla tracker tracker-search-tool tsclient ttf-opensymbol ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-sounds usplash-theme-ubuntu vino whois xdg-user-dirs xdg-user-dirs-gtk xsane xsane-common xsltproc xulrunner-1.9-gnome-support yelp && sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for pointing that out. It should be fixed now.

Is there an advantage to using tasksel?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Well, I don't know if it has advantage. Its the command that I used to use to switch between kubuntu or ubuntu or xubuntu. As you know, just removing ubuntu-desktop and installing xubuntu-desktop, because that just relies on most of the metapackages of the previous installation. You know this. The tasksel command seems to go through each package, and install it one by one, that way, getting every package of the installation, and overriding the previous installation.

Personally, I would use gtkorphan to clean up afterwords. But, I tested my method, and then yours, and your method clearly got more packages. I really don't know.

Besides this question, I have a request. On your page for creating a separate /home, you use the cpio | find whatever command. My understanding is that stems from cp not being very functional, and not supporting sparse files, whatever. Today, supposedly, cp can do the copy now, but its still not that great.

The command I would like to see added as an option is rsync -aS. Very simple, use it like rsync -aS /home/. /new_home/. and it works like a champ (I hope I got the syntax right). Copies all the files, and maintains permissions and ownerships and I think timestamps even.

The benefit is that the syntax of the command is clearly, easier to see what is going on, and that you are showing a modern backup command being used in action (which is good for its teaching purposes).

Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast