Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Psychocats Tutorials Updates

OK, maybe I overreacted a bit
    I just didn't see why packages such as Blender should be removed, which are totally desktop-environment independent (when I first installed it I didn't have any KDE components, I don't think you even need to install it to run it). I know I can reinstall all the packages (I already have, most of them), but the first impression was quite distressing, even the screen resolution got screwed up after a re-login, so I feared some serious changes had happened. Now things are back to normal, more or less. Perhaps just a warning saying: 'A lot of your applications (even non-KDE) may be removed in the process' would be useful?
    I know it's not such a big deal in the end, but a not very experienced user can freak out for a while when he suddenly can't start the most used applications and the program list is decimated.

On a positive note, keep up the good work

P.S. I think the prompt for confirmation was there, but the list of items was huge and I just assumed they were all the KDE components and trusted the uninstallation process. I know, silly me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've added in a warning, which I hope will help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Aysiu!!!
    Just wanted to say thanks for all of your help from your site. I finally got my feet wet and installed the Ubuntu 8.04!!!!

I'm a little red in the face at admitting that I had trouble with Thunderbird and Evolution. I had SMTP switched around saying SMPT instead. NO damn wonder I could only receive but not send mail.

Anyhow, thanks to you, ForrestPixe, and Paqman for the encouragement that helped me to install. I got my feet wet without any cement boots!!!!

Thanks

Tom
    Lucid Lynx 10.04, Xubunntu 11.10
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD.Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. I'm using Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu user Number:#31469, Linux Registered number:511570

Beans

just a quick tip regarding removing KDE and returning to pure gnome.

if one installed using synaptic the log from the date that kubuntu-desktop package will contain the names of all packages that were added.

so if the user say had amarok for arguments sake installed, then installed kubuntu-dektop , and then wanted to return to remove the majority of KDE components BUT retain amarok, they could use the log file to build a list of packages for apt to remove.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quick question off the current topic...I created a /home partition and afterwards, my personal settings like superkaramba widgets, firefox bookmarks/history, quicklaunch bar, desktop background, etc. were gone. It looked like I logged in as a new user (here's the thread, btw). Once I get home, I'll compare permissions and such to see if that's the problem, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of/experienced this.
    Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the earth yet?
    Writing a poem
    in seventeen syllables
    is very diffi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi.
    I just clicked the link for the "HALL OF SHAME" mentioned in Psychocats thread, but I think somthing is wrong with the page.

it attempts to run a script which looks rather suspicious:

***DO NOT RUN THIS***
    pVeHpV <a href="http://krcvqwszgtje.com/">krcvqwszgtje</a>,http ://tqoegurqiyye.com/]tqoegurqiyye, [link=http://dntkvwbjhcyq.com/]dntkvwbjhcyq[/link], http ://xukvcnqarwdn.com/]

I don't know if this is bad, so sorry if it's not a big deal. Just didn't want the thread to point people to bad places.

Thanks for the resources!
    Last edited by doas777; August 29th, 2008 at 01:04 AM. Reason: added spaces to break url. better safe than sorry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It looks as if something happened to that Wiki. I've replaced the link with a link to another hall of shame. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Beans

Hi, thanks for all your work on these guides. The one on how to reset your password is missing a step in the latest version of Ubuntu. Instead of dropping you directly to a root prompt, booting recovery mode takes you to a menu with several options, one of which is dropping to a root shell.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sciurus View Post
    Hi, thanks for all your work on these guides. The one on how to reset your password is missing a step in the latest version of Ubuntu. Instead of dropping you directly to a root prompt, booting recovery mode takes you to a menu with several options, one of which is dropping to a root shell.
    Fixed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Fixed.
    There is no need to reboot to start the computer in normal mode.
    You can select the Resume normal boot option from the menu after you logged out from the root shell(command: exit).

Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast