View Poll Results: How's Fiesty working for you?

Voters
1389. You may not vote on this poll
  • I upgraded to Feisty and everything is fine.

309 22.25%
  • I upgraded. Had a few problems (drivers, hardware, etc) but got them fixed.

169 12.17%
  • I upgraded. Had/Still having a lot of problems

205 14.76%
  • I did a clean install and everything is fine.

336 24.19%
  • Did clean install. Had a few problems (drivers, hardware, etc) but got them fixed.

152 10.94%
  • Did clean install. Had/Still having a lot of problems.

218 15.69%
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Feisty Poll

Beans

Feisty Poll

I'm trying to find out just how good feisty is. I've never done a poll before. Hope this works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Fiesty Poll

This isn't exaclty a poll, but here goes
    I HATE FEISTY!!
    I wasn't even trying to upgrade to it, and somehow a security update for Edgy released with it completely destroyed my edgy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Feisty is great!!!, it's much faster then edgy on my box. It even works with pSX (playstation one emulator) that wouldn't work in edgy (sound underrun errors). I've had no complaints.

I don't recommend an upgrade though... I was running the Official Nvidia drivers with XGL, and during the upgrade everything related, to Nvidia and Mesa3D failed to upgrade. then after reboot, I had to title bars on any windows O_o... but after a backup, fresh install of feisty, then a restore, I couldn't be happier.

(note it's always best to partition your self, and give around 10-20 gigs just to the home directory. makes backup and restores easier.

Beans

Yeah I agree with the user above, I don't recommend an installation from the update manager if you have heavily customized your Ubuntu with stuff like Beryl and what not. But if your an average user, it's definitely an improvement. 3D desktop is standard as well as the wiggly pages....Some more surprises will surface I'm sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

One thing I've noticed is when I enabled desktop effects (compiz) it was slower in feisty then it was in edgy. I tried it with the default video driver, the restricted video driver in the repos, and the official nvidia driver. I believe compiz and feisty by default uses ALGX and not XGL, and I know in edgy I was running XGL. is ALGX slower on nvidia cards then XGL?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I'm upgraded to Feisty for more than two months, and I've never experienced any problem at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am just amazed how good 7.04 is when i think i paid £60 for Windows XP back in the day and Ubuntu is free and better then vista ever could be

BTW I voted for: I did a clean install and everything is fine.
    Last edited by wipeout140; April 20th, 2007 at 01:22 PM.

Beans

UPDATE: I guess you could move me into another column of your poll....

The grub boot issue was resolved after I did a full BIOS reset (removing the battery and resetting everything). I'm guessing it was a weird plug and play issue and had nothing to do with Feisty.

The blank screen issue can be worked around by removing the splash screen option from the Grub menu entry.

Otherwise, things are now working fairly well. Congratulations to the team, (but I hope someone looks into the video problem).

mpv

----- The previous content of this message was ------

Tried a clean, plain vanilla (all defaults) install into a Dell Celeron 2400 using a drive known to be good 40gb WD drivethat had previously been used, but was NOT being booted from, so it may have had a virgin boot sector. The install used the entire disk using guided partitioning from the released Desktop disk. Install is on SDA1. (This seems a little odd to me, since it's an IDE disk - is everything remapped to SCSI now?)

Two unusual things: There is NO floppy (but it's disabled in the bios) and there are TWO Optical drives (a DVD on the second IDE as master, and a CD burner on the same cable as secondary). There's no secondary on the first IDE.

After the install, the boot loader fails silently before the Grub menu and dumps things back to the BIOS error message.

The Dell was originally configured to use IDE 1 with a high density SINGLE DRIVE cable and the drive was set for cable select (as is usual on these machines). Switching the drive to MASTER makes no difference. The optical drives use a low density cable and Master/slave jumpering.

Grub code APPEARS to be installed correctly into MBR. (At least I can read it back using DD, and it looks like it contains a GRUB error message).

The fresh install WILL boot to HD from install disk "boot from first hard disk" option (which uses grub install on CD). HOWEVER, during the entire boot process, the screen is blank until X starts.

Note that the splash screen problem also occurs when booting from either of the released CDs, so something seems to be seriously wrong with the boot code's use of the intel video card. Changing the AGP aperture and legacy video memory size make no difference at all.

Disabling the splash screen from CD grub command line shows bootup normally.

Several attempts to reinstall GRUB from the recovery menu on Alternate startup disk succeed, but do not change the outcome.

It looks to me like the grub MBR boot code may be buggy - this code is rarely installed except on virgin disks with no partition table, since if there's code there, I believe it's left alone.

There seem to be a LOT of reports of problems in this forum that may be related to this issue - most solutions seem ot involve workarounds rather than recognizing the problem.

I'm going to try a few more things if I get time, but there's something definitely seriously wrong with the release on this very common machine. (I have two more of them and they're both currently running Debian Etch with no problems when dual booting alongside XP).

Mario
    Last edited by mpvano; April 20th, 2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: UPDATE: Booting OK - video still strange

Beans

Thanks for all the info Mario. If you haven't yet, you should report it as a bug. Thanks

Gary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@mpvano, is your problem only that you have a buggy splash screen ?

If yes just set the resolution of the splashscreen to one supported by your screen and graphic card. Open your menu.list file (it's in /boot/grub/menu.list) then find the line which start by :
    Code:
    # defoptions=quiet
    And add this at the end of the line :
    vga = 785 for standard vga
    vga = 788 for 800x600
    vga = 791 for 1024x768 *
    vga = 794 for 1280x1024

Your line will look like :
    Code:
    # defoptions=quiet splash vga=791
    Then run a "sudo update-grub" and you should be good to go.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast