View Poll Results: How's Fiesty working for you?

Voters
1389. You may not vote on this poll
  • I upgraded to Feisty and everything is fine.

309 22.25%
  • I upgraded. Had a few problems (drivers, hardware, etc) but got them fixed.

169 12.17%
  • I upgraded. Had/Still having a lot of problems

205 14.76%
  • I did a clean install and everything is fine.

336 24.19%
  • Did clean install. Had a few problems (drivers, hardware, etc) but got them fixed.

152 10.94%
  • Did clean install. Had/Still having a lot of problems.

218 15.69%
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Feisty Poll

Beans

Re: Fiesty Poll

My Mp3 player is not being detected ( and it was in edgy ), everything else is fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I upgraded, and it went perfectly.

Beans

I upgraded from Edgy Eft to Feisty, just following the directions, and everything went just fine. I don't use any of the fancy desktop effects because I have an older computer. Ubuntu still works just fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Here's how i broke my Ubuntu.
    Being relatively cautious, i planned to try upgrading on the (somewhat tweaked) desktop computer first and if it goes well on the (somewhat less tweaked) notebook as well.
    Update-manager did quite well, though the download was mind-numbingly slow. A few simple questions, i'm taking notes on what to re-add into the config files after i have Fiesty running, rebooting, gasping at the beautiful artwork and then... unbelievingly staring at a complete lockup.
    Not exactly what i expected.
    A few more reboots proved, that it most likely is not a random issue. Reading the forums show that there might be a hanging problem. The LiveCD silently fails to load. Strange.
    I figure that Fiesty won't work for me and try reinstalling Edgy and remounting /home.
    The new installation immediately breaks. Hardware, users - everything messes up. Apparently, using new settings in the old system is not a healthy thing to do, huh? I wish someone mentioned that somewhere. My ideas quickly run out. Oh well. Looks like it's time to start over.

So that's what you get, trying to combine a relatively new computer with relatively new components and a constantly experimental OS?

"Could we start again, please?"

Since some of you are asked:
    Pentium 4 3 GHz w/ 1 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6200, a LevelOne (RaLink RT61) wifi card.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I tried clean install and upgrade, both failed. The new kernel doesn't like my ATA HDD, I will wait till they fix it.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Fiesty Poll

Well I have to say that I was a bit disgruntled when I found out that the Kubuntu upgrade wasn't tested thorough enough.

KDE frontend is very buggy and doesn't have proper automation. I had to manually install python-gnupginterface and atop of that, I had to apply a patch to the python update script itself, as explained here.

I have to point out that my Kubuntu 6.10 was pretty "fresh", ie. I didn't meddle with it, so that couldn't be the case... I had the feel that this KDE updater wasn't tested enough and to fetch 700+ MB of updates from the net was out of the question (I wanted to do it/did it with Feisty alternate CD's package repository and just fetched the remainder off the net).

As I said on IRC, because of this rough upgrade, Kubuntu just felt dirty hackish over Ubuntu's Gnome/GTK, where people didn't have any problems at all?

And in general, KDE community compared to Gnome community is 3:1, if not even more drastic...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

WOW, what is so amazing is that most people who posted here with issues, its their first post on Ubuntu, I wonder!!!!!!

Have fun
    LINUX Registered user # 335828

Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by siucdude View Post
    WOW, what is so amazing is that most people who posted here with issues, its their first post on Ubuntu, I wonder!!!!!!

Have fun
    Well some of us use search and Google to find solutions to problems and the post above was my 2 cents to this particular topic.

You have fun, too, and don't wonder too much.

Beans

Now I might not be your "usual" user.I wanted to try linux on my iBook G4 and thought I would be spending the weekend. fixing hardware when I installed the 6.0.1 Kubuntu image (couldn't find a fiesty image on any mirrors). But lo and behold, upon upgrading I get a pop-up telling me that a new version of Kubuntu Fiesty for ppc was available. It wanted to know if I wanted to upgrade. Huh...my screen color and size was screwy. wireless nonexistant. Hell Yeah upgrade...Let me say this. All is beautiful on the PPC Fiesty. Quick install of the wireless firmware and my wire free surfing is alive and well. Let me tell you as a PCLOS user I was not surprised. I was SHOCKED that Fiesty did all I wanted and then some. All I can say (tearing now)((really)) Thanks.

Beans

Well I decided to take the plunge. I backed up my Dapper system on an external drive and did a clean install. I have XP on my hda1 and Ubuntu on my hdb1. (I only use XP for games.) My modem wasn't recognized initially, but the instructions provided were a fast and easy fix . Initially, I couldn't access a DVD or my mp3 player, but updating the repositories (medibuntu) fixed all that. Everything appears to be working fine. Now if I can just figure out how to replace my home file with the one I backed up.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast