Thread: SPSS help

Beans

SPSS help

I’m student at the University of Arizona. In my political science class, I need to use SPSS to calculate bivariate correlation between a categorical independent variable (Presidential or Parliamentary system) and a continuous dependent variable (various measures of democracy)

I’m using the Przeworski data set. My original independent variable in this set is called INST, which designates each state as a dictatorship 0, parliament democracy 1, mixed democracy 2, and a presidential democracy 3.

My question is: How do I recode this independent, categorical variable (INST) into two different variables (Presidential and Parliamentary), so it excludes the mixed democracies and dictatorships and allow me to run a correlation with my continuous dependent variables? So, I want to be able to recode INST into Presidential and Parliament variables and run them separately to see how each one correlates with my continuous dependent variables?

Thanks,
    Noah

Beans

Re: SPSS help

I have installed SPSS 11.5 under Linux using codeweavers cxoffice 6.1.0. (commercial version of wine). I used the same botlle (virtual windwos c: disk) that I installed office 2000 on. Everything seems to work allright except for the graph functions. I can can load data, analyze it, produce tables with output etc. Only producing graphs seems problematic. The install is going smoothly, asking for a serial etc.
    So if you can miss graphs, SPSS seems to work allright. The more people us SPSS with cxoffice, the bigger the chance that they will start support on it.
    Greetings,
    Thomas.

Beans

SPSS under Wine, or any other virtualization, is really not a good idea. I have tried crunching huge data sets and after 10 to 15 minutes, it just craps out ... Even on machines with 2GB ram and plenty of horsepower. I also use SPSS and unfortunately my department has a special "Winbloze" machine that we use for all SPSS work since there is no Mac version and we have not found any successful way to run SPSS under Linux.

You might also consider using Stata, as I hear they have a Linux version but I have never used it. I have installed several linux alternatives to SPSS (Salstat, PSPP) and these have all been crap. There is a program Macanova (I believe) which will run under Linux, but when a colleague tried this, she said the interface was not user-friendly and that it was quite limited in its functionality.

Best of luck.

I hope you don't have to run it on winbloze like my department does.
    Last edited by _Poincare; July 24th, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

Beans

Guys...cachemony is not aksing for help installing SPSS into Linux, but asking for help with performing an actual analysis. There is no mention of "install" OR "Linux" in the original post. I have never used SPSS so I can't help, but please try reading the question before posting replies that are irrelevant.