Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabayon V.S. Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Lightbulb Sabayon V.S. Ubuntu

What's the general opinion? I'm looking at both right now (my suitemate is experimenting w/ sabayon, i'm leaning towards ubuntu) and I'm wondering what you guys think about t, since I don't actually have any real experience in either.

So what do you guys think?

Beans

Re: Sabayon V.S. Ubuntu

I looked at Sabayon and decides Ubuntu was for me. With Linux, you have many choices and for free distros, especially live, get as many as you want.

With Feisty out, I don't see a reason to get Sabayon.

If you do get Sabayon, let me (us) know how it works.

Beans

I found Sabayon to appear really slick, it has wow factor. I also found it bloated I buggy, however others have had a better experience. If the effects/extra packages are required, don't forget that they're easily added to Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a sane install with insane repo's, Sabayon is just insane

Beans

Sabayon is nice, Ubuntu imo is nicer. If you're looking for an always bleeding edge system go with Sabayon. If you're looking for more stability Ubuntu is what to chose. Not that Sabayon is unstable, just that it tries to be as bleeding edge as possible. You'll also notice installs take longer with Sabayon because it's built on gentoo so it compiles everything from source vs. having a .deb repository. They're both good, I've used both and like Ubuntu more personally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Okay, thanks for the quick replies! I'll probably stick w/ ubuntu, just because of the great community I've found here, and also because, like you said, if I want the flashy/nifty/wow stuff, i can always just install it. I'll also let you know how it goes w/ my suitemate, since it looks like he's been sucked in by its flash

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mmikelst View Post
    Okay, thanks for the quick replies! I'll probably stick w/ ubuntu, just because of the great community I've found here, and also because, like you said, if I want the flashy/nifty/wow stuff, i can always just install it. I'll also let you know how it goes w/ my suitemate, since it looks like he's been sucked in by its flash
    Remeber where you are asking this question... had you asked on a Sabayon board the response would likely have been different. That said, for a brand new Linux user I would recommend neither Sabayon nor Ubuntu... rather check out LinuxMint, Mepis, PCLinuxOS or SAM Linux. These distros are a little more friendly to new users than the two you mentioned. I would recommend SAM because I am on the dev team there, but all the others are great choices as well. All of these have liveCDs, so why not try them all .
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Remember where you are asking this question... had you asked on a Sabayon board the response would likely have been different.
    Yes. A lot of Sabayon users seem to have a childish pet hate for Ubuntu. I wouldn't go so far as to judge a distro by its users but I sure am glad to have never been a part of that bunch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by manmower View Post
    Yes. A lot of Sabayon users seem to have a childish pet hate for Ubuntu. I wouldn't go so far as to judge a distro by its users but I sure am glad to have never been a part of that bunch.
    Don't kid yourself, go to any non-ubuntu board and you will hear rather vocal members bash Ubuntu mercilessly. This is not just Sabayon by any stretch. That said, keep in mind that it is a small but vocal minority. Ubuntu is very polarizing in the rest of the linux world, mainly because they get all the hype when other distro's might be equally or more deserving (outside of the linux world, ubuntu=beryl... but really Novell started XGL and compiz and Fedora started the AIGLX project). That was just an example, im not supporting or condoning this behavior, but rather explaining why.

My whole point above was that of course Ubuntu users will say use Ubuntu, while sabayon users will likely say use sabayon.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sabayon is baloated, it comes with kde also and i don't like that. Upgrading was a pain because every packages under the sun was installed, i downloaded over 2gb of updates. I actualy got it working thogh, took me 2 weeks and then feisty came out and i'm back with ubuntu. I was on #sabayon for awhile and talked alot with them, they plan a future release to include options such as, choosing your DE, choose what packages to install. and once that happens i will <3 sabayon long time!
    I'm in your thread, killing your stoopids!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Remeber where you are asking this question... had you asked on a Sabayon board the response would likely have been different. That said, for a brand new Linux user I would recommend neither Sabayon nor Ubuntu... rather check out LinuxMint, Mepis, PCLinuxOS or SAM Linux. These distros are a little more friendly to new users than the two you mentioned. I would recommend SAM because I am on the dev team there, but all the others are great choices as well. All of these have liveCDs, so why not try them all .
    I would still recommend Ubuntu over those others (though I am not familiar with SAM). While the others may be friendlier out of the box, Ubuntu has the large community advantage. Plus it is not as if Ubuntu is difficult for a new users. Far from it. I started with Ubuntu cold turkey (no prior Linux experience and wiped my XP partition) and it only took a single FAQ to get it up to speed. It taught me enough to move on to something more advanced like Arch in only 3 months. Nothing against Ubuntu there either. I love it and would use it again, but I feel really good with Arch right now. So in control!
    Desktop:Hardy Intel P4 2.8, 512mb ram, Geforce 4MX
    Ubuntu User #11009

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast