Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creative MP3 players

Beans

Creative MP3 players

Does anyone here own a Create Vision:M or Creative Vision:W? My little brother is considering buying one, and he wanted to know how good the Linux support for it was. I think they would work with libmtp, but I haven't had a Creative player in a long time.

Most importantly, is you Creative experience with Linux positive? Is it easy to transfer songs back and forth? Any bugs?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Creative MP3 players

I have a Creative Zen MicroPhoto. It's an MTP player and I've gotten it to work with Gnomad2. I had to compile it though in order to get the MTP support. But in Feisty it works with Amarok out of the box. No need to compile anything.

There's another thing that I think is somewhat recent that I want to look into. It's called mtpfs. It allows you to view the contents of the player within any file manager.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

I have a Creative Zen Sleek Photo, which works perfect with Gnomad2 (there is a good howto on the forums to set this up properly). I haven't encountered any problems or bugs. Overall very happy, both with the player and its interaction with Ubuntu.

Beans

I have a creative vision M and love it. And it work very well with Gnomad2 or Amarok. And as FuturePilot pointed out they have to be compiled on version older than 7.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My sister has a Vision:M works fine with Gnomad2.. although I'm not sure if transferring video works.. It is however a very nice little player.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Swab View Post
    My sister has a Vision:M works fine with Gnomad2.. although I'm not sure if transferring video works.. It is however a very nice little player.
    Good point...how well does video transfer work? Is it as easy as music? Also, are there Linux-based tools to convert the video to whatever format is required by the Zen Vision?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have a Creative MuVo V100...haven't tried it with any other apps, but it works great for copying files to it with Thunar.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I sync my Vision M with Gnomad2. It works great. I just tested video though, since you asked, and the .wmv I transferred wouldn't play the video (just sound). I'm trying a .mpg now. Okay .mpg works.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    I sync my Vision M with Gnomad2. It works great. I just tested video though, since you asked, and the .wmv I transferred wouldn't play the video (just sound). I'm trying a .mpg now. Okay .mpg works.
    Good to know, thanks.

Beans

Transfert of .avi and mpeg work well with gnomad but I couldn't figure out how to do it in amarok. However, while Creative's software will tell you if a video is supported or not, gnomad will not. So some video, like avi with ac3 sound or with higher definition will not play. In those cases, any video converter will do the job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast