Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Num Lock

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    366

    Re: Num Lock

    I also have this microsfot keboards with the f-lock key. For winxp i found an utility that automatically sets the "f-lock" at boot time (so i have my real F1, F2, F... keys working.

    I wish so much i could find the same for Linux!!!! any clue anyone?

    TY!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Num Lock

    Quote Originally Posted by bdoetsch
    nonetheless, it would be real nice to have this included without having to configure stuff via scripts in /etc/init.d etc.
    Welcome to KDE. Personally, I don't mind a one-time copy and paste into the /etc/init.d or whatever. But if you want it all GUI with one click... KDE.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    91
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

    Re: Num Lock

    I'd kill myself if numlock came up on boot, because it would override half my keys on my laptop keyboard.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Num Lock

    Quote Originally Posted by etc
    I'd kill myself if numlock came up on boot, because it would override half my keys on my laptop keyboard.
    Yeah, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about adding the KDE functionality to Gnome--easy GUI configuration of what's default on boot--numlock or no numlock.

    No one's saying everyone's computer should start with numlock on. The issue is that for those of us who do want it on, it should be easy to turn on and have it stay on. You can do this easily in KDE. You have to jump through a few more hoops in Gnome to do this.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    England
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Num Lock

    Quote Originally Posted by fng
    some logitech keyboards (like mine ) also have that annoying f-lock button
    Yeah I love logitech mice, but after buying a logi keyboard with stupid f-lock (seriously cant think of a worse computing design decision except maybe a centralised windows registry) I wont buy another logi keyboard. If theres a fix somewhere great, but for the moment using a cheap keyboard, the stupid f-lock nightmare is in a box somewhere.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Beans
    947
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Num Lock

    Quote Originally Posted by HiddenWolf
    I wish I could find one of those old IBM keyboards, but with a usb-adapter.
    If you want a brand-new version, try http://www.pckeyboard.com/ . They bought the design from Lexmark, who got it from IBM. It's the latter-day version, though, not the true original Model M. On the plus side, you can get it in black, like the one I'm using now. (Hmm, actually they don't seem to have my model anymore. Oh well.) Some of their models have USB; for others, you can get an adapter cheap (about $10 at NewEgg for a dual adapter -- mouse plus keyboard).

    Also, the old ones hold up astoundingly well. If you find one, you might have to clean it, but that's probably all it'll need. I have one that lasted over a decade, until I spilled a glass of water into it. It still works, except for the Ctrl keys.
    Last edited by wmcbrine; November 12th, 2005 at 12:37 AM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Beans
    259
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Num Lock

    yup, thanx for the numlockx mister... have not rebooted yet, but set it to 'on' ... believe it will work great.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: Num Lock

    Quote Originally Posted by stimpack
    Yeah I love logitech mice, but after buying a logi keyboard with stupid f-lock (seriously cant think of a worse computing design decision except maybe a centralised windows registry) I wont buy another logi keyboard. If theres a fix somewhere great, but for the moment using a cheap keyboard, the stupid f-lock nightmare is in a box somewhere.
    Phew, other people hate f-lock too. Funnily enough, my only 2 MS products, are my keyboard and mouse.

    I hate f-lock because I use the normal shortcuts, and I still use the F keys for what they should be used for.

    Also, I can no longer prnt+screen, and ctrl+break (humor me on that one, I run dosgames in dosbox) without turning f-lock off.
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: Num Lock

    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    The issue is that for those of us who do want it on, it should be easy to turn on and have it stay on. You can do this easily in KDE. You have to jump through a few more hoops in Gnome to do this.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install numlockx
    That is all there is to it. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill on this one.

    As a side note:
    I really do not understand why anyone would consider this to be such a hassle. I fear the day one can use Linux without ever touching the command line. One of the most powerful things about Linux will be put to the side in favor of panes full of check boxes and wizards, which is arguably much less intuitive than a quick search for the right command and a copy-paste into a terminal. Then, once you know the command, you know it. It will then always be faster than going though some odd set of configuration panels in a hodgepodge GUI.

    Sure, a lot of users will be happy with a CLI-free OS, but they will know a lot less. They will also miss out on a lot of great applications that aren't going to be gui-fied any time soon. It is a shame that people are so afraid of learning, really.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    5
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: Num Lock

    Quote Originally Posted by zenwhen
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install numlockx
    That is all there is to it. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill on this one.

    As a side note:
    I really do not understand why anyone would consider this to be such a hassle. I fear the day one can use Linux without ever touching the command line. One of the most powerful things about Linux will be put to the side in favor of panes full of check boxes and wizards, which is arguably much less intuitive than a quick search for the right command and a copy-paste into a terminal. Then, once you know the command, you know it. It will then always be faster than going though some odd set of configuration panels in a hodgepodge GUI.

    Sure, a lot of users will be happy with a CLI-free OS, but they will know a lot less. They will also miss out on a lot of great applications that aren't going to be gui-fied any time soon. It is a shame that people are so afraid of learning, really.
    It's a hassle because it makes something that should be dead easy into a mutistep process. You think it's perfectly fine to have to search the forums and download a program just to get numlock to stay on? Admittedly, there are some cases where doing things the hard way is beneficial, but to go through even this minimal annoyance for numlock makes no sense at all. It's just numlock. Microsoft had it figured out back in 1995. You click the numlock key and it stays on, end of story. How hard is that to do? It's a stupid little shortcoming in an otherwise excellent product, and it should be resolved, not classified as a learning opportunity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •