Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome To Connecticut

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Welcome To Connecticut

Welcome Everybody!

This forum is geared towards the Ubuntu Connecticut Local Team, though we aren't an exclusive bunch.
    • People across the border are welcome to post here as well, since chances are there's a bit of back-and-forth travel between the states.
    • People spent time here in Connecticut but have for one reason or another left the state (school, work, etc.) feel free to participate.
    • People just interested in Connecticut for it's rich history, mannerisms of it's residents or interested in the various activities are welcome to participate.
    • People who can find Connecticut on a map are welcome to participate here.

If you are interested in joining the Ubuntu Connecticut Local Team you should look at joining Launchpad and our Team there as well!

There are a lot going on in the state and this is a great location to shout-out about them whether you are personally involved or just an attendee and think other people may enjoy the activity as well!
    Last edited by Dragonbite; April 17th, 2007 at 02:58 PM.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Welcome To Connecticut

Good work Dragonbite.

Now the little state with a big heart (and HIGH gasoline prices) has it's own sig.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by garlik42 View Post
    Good work Dragonbite.

Now the little state with a big heart (and HIGH gasoline prices) has it's own sig.
    Don't forget overpriced houses and the "Land of Many McMansions"

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Thanks guys, and who's from Willimantic?

Thanks to you guys who have organized a Connecticut page. I've done plenty of time in volunteer hell, so I know how hard it can be to do free stuff for other people on your own time!

The LoCo map is showing that someone from your team (no name attached) is posting from Willimantic. I work at Eastern, so whoever that is give a yell and we can meet...
    Last edited by Razzl; April 17th, 2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: add detail

Beans
    Distro

Have you looked at our original post in the NUUbuntu Forum? Some people posted where they are located there and you may find some location(s) familiar and can ask or private message (PM) them directly.

Beans

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and to ubuntu. I've been using debian, openbsd, solaris, sgi irix, winslowz etc. for about 6 years now. I have just installed 7.04 fiesty fawn on my 400mhz ibook and am installing on my 1st gen imac as we speak. I've been waiting for a great user friendly linux like ubuntu for a while. Glad its finally here. I'm from waterbury CT. I'm a Network Admin at an auto dealership in danbury. I'm looking for others possibly interested in starting a Linux Terminal Server company selling and supporting thin clients in CT.

Thanks All,
    Jason

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchOne View Post
    Hello All,

I am new to the forum and to ubuntu. I've been using debian, openbsd, solaris, sgi irix, winslowz etc. for about 6 years now. I have just installed 7.04 fiesty fawn on my 400mhz ibook and am installing on my 1st gen imac as we speak. I've been waiting for a great user friendly linux like ubuntu for a while. Glad its finally here. I'm from waterbury CT. I'm a Network Admin at an auto dealership in danbury. I'm looking for others possibly interested in starting a Linux Terminal Server company selling and supporting thin clients in CT.

Thanks All,
    Jason
    Hey, I sent you a PM, I'm from just outside of Waterbury. We should see about getting together.

On another note, I have wondered something and you sound to be the best person I've found to ask.

Is it feasible and make sense to use older PPC iMac's as thin clients? The idea of having a stylish, silent (either passive cooling or silent fans) iMac as a thin client to a powerful server sounds like an interesting setup.

I especially like the idea of the half-basketball-base flat screen iMac (on the swivel arm) and the idea of having 1/2 to a dozen of these systems hooked up in a room and it doesn't sound like you are in an airport! Even the Dell I'm on right now only seems quiet because the AC in the office is so loud.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have Ubuntu on my old iBook as well (The clam shell one, not sure of the speed)

SSH to my server seems fine, still a bit slow due to memory but it works

Oh, and I am from Guilford...wayy down south

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Hey, I sent you a PM, I'm from just outside of Waterbury. We should see about getting together.

On another note, I have wondered something and you sound to be the best person I've found to ask.

Is it feasible and make sense to use older PPC iMac's as thin clients? The idea of having a stylish, silent (either passive cooling or silent fans) iMac as a thin client to a powerful server sounds like an interesting setup.

I especially like the idea of the half-basketball-base flat screen iMac (on the swivel arm) and the idea of having 1/2 to a dozen of these systems hooked up in a room and it doesn't sound like you are in an airport! Even the Dell I'm on right now only seems quiet because the AC in the office is so loud.
    I'm not too sure with the old ppc imacs as thin clients. Because the linux terminal server would have to be ppc also to support the ppc clients correct? I also don't know if the network cards on the imacs are pxe compatable or not... would have to research that more.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Calash View Post
    I have Ubuntu on my old iBook as well (The clam shell one, not sure of the speed)

SSH to my server seems fine, still a bit slow due to memory but it works

Oh, and I am from Guilford...wayy down south
    awesome! I also have netBSD installed on an OLD SUN SPARC IPC, though i haven't booted it in 3 years!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast