Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Illinois & Chicago Shoutouts

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Illinois & Chicago Shoutouts

Hey there everyone, this will be our shoutout area, so please introduce yourself, let us know a little about you, and how we might be able to put you to work

OK, my name is Rich Johnson, I live out in Bloomingdale, DuPage county, small town just outside of Chicago (30 minutes). I have been using Linux since about 1994 while I was in the Navy. Hey, they had super fast internet, and I bought hundreds of blank floppies In 1996 I switched to the Kool Desktop Environment, which everyone knows as KDE. I have been using it ever since. I don't use Windows for anything, I don't depend on it, and I do not support it. If it isn't free (Linux, BSD, GNU), I don't mess with it.

I have been with the Ubuntu community for almost 2 years now. I work with the Kubuntu development team doing everything from packaging, development, to testing. I am also the maintainer of the Kubuntu system documentation (KMenu -> Help -> Kubuntu System Documentation). I am currently working with KDE developers for KDE 4 and also helping out with KDE documentation. I have quite a few handbooks you may have read in KHelpCenter for KDE. I maintain the KDE documentation for projects such as Katapult, Mailody, and many others. I will be working on the new KOffice 2 docs just as soon as we have a stable build ready for KDE 4 (next month baby!!!). As you can see I do a lot of documentation work. The reason being that I love to write. If you don't believe me, check out http://fridge.ubuntu.com, yes I am a Fridge developer. To see what else I dabble in check out my Launchpad Page and my Blog.

If you ever need anything, please do not hesitate to contact me for help or whatever. If I have it, and I can help, I will be there for you! My email and other info of course is in my signature below. Welcome everyone and thanks for stopping by!
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)
    Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council
    https://launchpad.net/~nixternal
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RichardJohnson
    http://www.nixternal.com

Beans

Re: Illinois & Chicago Shoutouts

greetings.

I'm Greg Taeger, Im a student (well soon to be grad) of Eastern Illinois University. As I just mentioned, I will be graduating in 3 weeks. Eastern is a nice school, and fairly underrated as far as Computer Science programs go. We are definitely pro - linux here and all CS courses are taught in a linux environment. Anyway, college was my first contact with linux, my freshman year i installed about 8 distros on an old pentium 1, 200 mhz computer i had lying around... (gentoo was one of them, which i recommend for anyone who wants to know what every config file ever does). it took another year and a half before I gathered the courage to install on my main machine, and Ive never looked back. My first attempt was with debian, but as i was having some problems i soon switch to ubuntu and have been using that ever since.
    As im graduating, i dont know if ill be staying in Illinois as i go through the process of finding a job, but Illinois will always be close to my heart. I hope to find a career somewhere hopefully with an open source-friendly company... ah well. gotta pay the bills somehow... anyway thats me
    Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Sup. I'm RJ Marsan. Hell i don't do much work for you guys other than occasional help if you ask nicely and bug reporting once in a while.
    I Live in Elmhurst, I'm 16 and goin to york/Elmhurst college (Long story), been using linux since 04 when I made my first computer, and been using Ubuntu since 5.04 (ive been registered in ubuntuforums.org for almost as long).
    I pretty much spend my time idling on IRC and bouncing around from project to project (all open source of course)
    So yeah, i go as Red_Herring on irc.freenode.net and ya can find me in the one and only #ubuntu-chicago along with mah homie nixternal up there
    ASCII Signature?!?! Here goes:

RJ
    neat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Brian Green here. I've been doing generic IT work for a few years now (mainly MS stuff, some Cisco) and tried using Linux several times, but it finally stuck after I tried Ubuntu 5.04. Ubuntu was the first truly user friendly Linux distro (IMO), and while I've learned a ton, I still have a lot to go. I have a workstation/server at home running Linux and am a MythTV proponent as well; I also just got a Macbook Pro that I triple boot with OSX, WinXP and Ubuntu 7.04 (just because I can!!). Currently I've been supporting VMware ESX in the workplace so I've been getting my hands dirty doing some shell scripting and whatnot (ESX uses a Red Hat based admin console).

I'm trying to learn the bug reporting process during my troubleshooting adventures (though I've had fewer and fewer of those in my Ubuntu experiences!), but I'd say my biggest contribution is as a Linux evangelist to those people who have not been had any Linux/Ubuntu exposure, and frankly, just don't get it (yet!).

I try and loiter on the IRC channel when I have time, under the name billbrasky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Yo. I'm a student at Andrews University in southwest Michigan -- and I call home Fairfield, Illinois (Waay down south). The closest I've been to a Chicago LoCo meeting yet was the first day of the Flourish conference at UIC a couple weeks ago (Which doesn't count, especially since I didn't meet any of you guys if you were there), but I pop up my nose once in a blue moon on the mailing list .

I've been using Linux for about three or four years now, and have gotten several of my classmates to use Ubuntu on their laptops, which I see as a very good thing since the Intro to Computer Science classes here use Visual C++, and none of the other Freshman had any UNIX experience. Now one of them has a job making the new network security client for computers all across campus -- which, I suspect, he wouldn't have been able to do if his horizons hadn't already been widened by Linux (Most of the servers are Solaris).

I work in the dean's office of one of the schools programming a Windows-only .NET document management system, which I've convinced them to let me open source (http://sf.net/projects/aucas). Right now I'm working on integrating an OSS PDF viewer and ditching the ultra-proprietary Microsoft Office Document Imaging component, which was the easiest to implement at first (And which some of the UNIX-using professors complained about -- kudos for them!). This summer I'll probably be working with the IT department to start implementing something similar campus-wide -- there's still a lot of paper floating around in the system. I expect to learn a lot then -- I'm still a novice, though I think for an 18-year-old I'm doing pretty good (I'm no Firefox Kid, at any rate).

Oh, and of course, my home page & blog: http://www.SigmaX.org

My #1 reason for using Linux (Besides that it rocks and that it helps me learn quicker as a student) is the lack of games. Having Windows is dangerous for me -- I too easily get addicted to Halo & AoE & the like .

Siggy

PS: I also have a dual-booted Macbook (Windows on a VM so I can't game ), though it currently has Fedora, 'cuz Edgy gave me bootloader grief. Sometime after Feisty comes out I'll probably replace it with Ubuntu .
    Last edited by SigmaX; April 17th, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
    "Rational people argue both sides."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

<sinatra>My kind of town, Chicago is</sinatra>
    Congrats on the Forum Chicago/Illinois

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello,
    My name is juergen (pronounced Yuergen).
    Yep, I'm burn and raised in Germany and live since 4 years now in central Illinois.
    As an ISSS, I needed to have a lot of contact with Microsoft, pretty much since DOS 2
    I tried several times some different Linux Distros, but, all of them could not satify my needs.
    As Ubuntu was coming along 6.10 tried it LOVED IT and stuck with it.
    I'm also a gamer (City of Heroes, WOW) that's the kind of Games I really appreciate
    Since the short time I'm working with Ubuntu, no doubt there is a good learning experience, I feel
    already pretty confident with my new OS of choice.

So, I hope, I can help once in a while.
    I think, this thread is an awesome Idea, GO Illinois.

And by the way, If you have any question about German, ask me.

Peace with you

Beans

Rich Wagner here.... I am a Web / Database developer for Walgreens. I have dabbled in Linux for quite some time now but until recently have not immersed myself 100%. I'm happy to say that I no longer run any other OS at home besides Ubuntu. I am no Evil Linux genius as many of you are, but I am coming along quite well. I have a good friend a the office who is constantly helping me dig myself out of holes!

The majority of my tech career ( 10 years ) has been centered around the Microsoft server platform. During that time I had run various version of Mandrake linux running SAMBA and APACHE. It wasn't until Ubuntu that I realized I could survive my day to day operations without the need for Microsoft.

We have a convert here.....

Are there any Ubuntu users groups in Chicago that meet up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel-Being View Post
    Are there any Ubuntu users groups in Chicago that meet up?
    Yeah -- most of us are here from of the Chicago LoCo Team mailing list.

Siggy
    "Rational people argue both sides."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hey hey
    i started using ubuntu as my first ever linux distro about 2 months ago.

i realized there was nothing i needed in windows that ubuntu didn't have (native) except WoW, and since i have yet to put forth the effort to get WoW running under wine it appears i didn't need that either.
    so i went cold turkey with edgy on my media PC and feisty fawn beta on my main box.

i'm really happy with ubuntu and i even enjoy grappling with the various problems that crop up.

thanks alot for starting up this forum.
    p.s. i've lived in chicago 5 years, grew up in the suburbs, and work for an industrial supplies company, developing an ms Access app (gah!) atm.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast