Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Charity

Would anyone be interested in getting together to collect old computer parts, putting them together and getting them to the needy?

Something like this? Free Geek and See this post
    Last edited by daynah; April 16th, 2007 at 09:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Charity

Yeah, I'm down for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

JSVH is actually part of something similar in Athens: http://www.freeitathens.org/. I'm not sure we can do a state-wide org like that, but It would be nice to start something similar in all the metro areas in Georgia.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah, I didn't mean state wide, that would be a bit much. But I doubt Free IT Athens could help people in Atlanta (I'm near Atlanta, and it sounded like a lot of ya'll were too).

If we can get enough people for it (I like the new design, but it may be hard waving people down tucked away! ha!), then maybe we can get a branch of Free IT "Atlanta."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I would suggest joining the ALE mailing list and making the suggestion on there. They are a pretty active group and it would good to pool resources with them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm actually in the process of staring a business down in South, GA (if everything goes well.) One of my goals was to collect donated computers, patch them up with Linux, and give them away. I've already done that for some people I know. It's good to see others "functioning on the same wavelength."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Daynah, have you been able to make any movement on this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

http://freeitathens.org/services.html

FreeITAthens sounds like an exciting way to participate in spreading Ubuntu. You can even work off the bill by volunteering your time there. What a great way to get people knowledgeable about the Ubuntu operating system and to enable them to own low cost, Free Software computers.

Since they also make these computers available for non-profits, I suspect lining up a charity in Atlanta would work, especially if the transportation was provided.
    Join your a Local Linux User Group or an Ubuntu Local Community Team...
    Purchase your next computer with Ubuntu pre-installed and supported for best hardware compatibility.
    Support companies that support Ubuntu and Linux solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Shout Out to all...
    I am so glad that there is a group already doing these kinds of things. I found this thread just as I was getting into the search for a project like this. I expect to be meeting some of you soon in volunteering at least!
    _-K-_

Beans

Free IT Athens has done work in Atlanta before. We provided computers to the US Social Forum last summer, for example. Anyone who'd like to volunteer with us or just donate some hardware should send an email to freeitathens@gmail.com

Of course, there's a huge need in Atlanta that we don't have the manpower or logistics to meet. It would be wonderful if a group of Atlanta techies could organize and try to address that.

Anyone who is primarily motivated by the idea of offering low cost computers and doesn't mind a Microsoft environment should contact http://www.techcorpsga.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast