Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Netatalk (AFP) with Encrypted Authentication

Talking How To: Install Netatalk (AFP) with Encrypted Authentication

These guidelines were complied from this thread. Thanks to those who came before and figured it all out. I just tried to make the instructions a little more step-by-step and put together the different suggestions.

I maintain updates to this thread at: How To: Install Netatalk (AFP) with Encrypted Authentication. Check it for new information.

Purpose of the How To: Install Netatalk (AFP) on Ubuntu with encrypted authentication (using OpenSSL), which is not enabled by default with the Ubuntu package. By default, the package installed from the Ubuntu universal repositories will allow your password to be sent via clear text (you’ll know this because Mac OS X will throw a warning saying: “You password is being sent in clear text!”). This is because, apparently, OpenSSL has a license that is incompatible with Debian’s GPL. Regardless: clear text is bad; encryption is good.

Steps to Follow
    : I originally tried to compile netatalk from the source, however, I didn’t get it to work the first time and, before troubleshooting, found nifty instructions at the Ubuntu Forums which uses the default Ubuntu package but recompiles it with the ssl option in place. I have taken what I believe to be the best of these guides and put them together in a quick and easy fashion, below. Have tested it on a couple installations myself (Dapper and Edgy, i86), and it seems to work great.

(You will need to have the Universe Repositories enabled for this to work: /etc/apt/sources.list)

Code:
    $ mkdir -p ~/src/netatalk
    $ cd ~/src/netatalk
    $ sudo aptitude install devscripts cracklib2-dev dpkg-dev libssl-dev
    $ apt-get source netatalk
    $ sudo apt-get build-dep netatalk
    $ cd netatalk-2.0.3
    $ DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=ssl sudo dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
    $ sudo debi
    The basic trend of this set of operations is to: create a directory where all the messy files can be stored, download necessary packages, get the netatalk source, compile the source with the ssl option, install the package. You can remove everything after, if you want, or leave it alone. Either way: once it is installed no more clear text error from Apple!

To connect to your AFP server on your Mac Finder, press APPLE-K (or “Go -> Connect to Server”). Enter the server’s IP address and then you will be prompted for your user name and password. After, it will mount your home directory.

Settings for the service can be found at /etc/netatalk/. There are a couple configuration files in there with instructions. Good luck.

Removing netatalk: if you would like to remove netatalk you can run:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove netatalk
    Support for this How To: I am happy to help as best as I am able if anyone has problems, however, my knowledge of the subject is very limited, therefore, this How To is being offered with no support or gaurantee. Use it at your own risk.

Finally, any updates to this process or new tips will be posted and maintained at:

http://www.damontimm.com/blog/how-to...uthentication/

Enjoy
    Last edited by thornomad; September 24th, 2007 at 09:06 PM.

Beans

Re: How To: Install Netatalk (AFP) with Encrypted Authentication

Excellent instructions!

Everything worked the first time around.

Thank you!

Beans

This is great, thanks for the info!
    Anyone know how to add kerberos support?
    looks like it requires uams_gss.so
    Last edited by SpaceBas; April 26th, 2007 at 06:23 PM.

Beans

Nice one... worked perfectly.
    Cheers.

Beans

Any ideas why I would get the error
    Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/es.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_feisty-backports_main_source_Sources - open (2 No such file or directory)

Other than that the file is missing

I edited the /etc/apt/sources.list file to uncomment the universe multiverse libraries ad restarted.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-r

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Woodfied View Post
    Any ideas why I would get the error

Code:
    Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/es.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_feisty-backports_main_source_Sources - open (2 No such file or directory)
    Other than that the file is missing

I edited the /etc/apt/sources.list file to uncomment the universe multiverse libraries ad restarted.
    Hmm ... I am not a whiz at this and I have not installed this on Feisty ... my thoughts are:

1. has anyone else successfully done this in feisty ?
    2. have you tried installing any other packages ? That is, is this the only package you have tried or the only package that doesn't work (and everything else does)
    3. it says "es.archive" ... is that the spanish version?

If this is only happening with this particular package I don't have much advice; probably one of the required dependencies isn't being loaded or maybe it doesn't exist in feisty.

Are you running all this as "sudo" where indicated?

D

Beans

Strangely, I am in Spain, although this is a US dist. The files in the source directory ar either

es.archive.xxxx or security.ubuntuxxx

The failure line produces the same error whether run as su, since the file is missing.

I'll try and get the file I think.

-r

Beans

Missing files are available at

and they are Spanish it turns out.

Thanks for helping out though

-r

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Woodfied View Post
    Strangely, I am in Spain, although this is a US dist. The files in the source directory ar either

es.archive.xxxx or security.ubuntuxxx

The failure line produces the same error whether run as su, since the file is missing.

I'll try and get the file I think.
    Let us know what happens; I am not sure how to troubleshoot it any further, to be honest. Does everything else install without a problem ?

D

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am getting the following error message:

dpkg-parsechangelog: error: cannot open debian/changelog to find format: No such file or directory
    dpkg-buildpackage: unable to determine source pakage is
    debi: cannot find readable debian/source anywhere!
    Are you in the source code tree?
    I would really appreciate some help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast