Thread: Problem with WC3 in wine..

Beans

Problem with WC3 in wine..

Hey guys, running edgy on a sony vaio laptop. I run beryl without too many problems and for the most part everything on my laptop works. I've been trying to get warcraft 3 to play here though but it doesnt work. I followed instructions in another post about this game. When I run warcraft 3 with wine my system freezes, I mean completely freezes including mouse and keyboard to the point I need to reboot. I installed it without any problems and put in the no-cd crack war3.exe. I "believe" I have a good wine install. My wine version is 0.9.30-0ubuntu2~edgy1. I have an intel integrated graphics chip. I run beryl fulltime. I dont have problems with sound or video when watching movies, although the sound settings in wine are intense and I dunno how to parse through it.

Is there a way to debug what's going on so that I can figure out what's causing the freeze?

Beans

Re: Problem with WC3 in wine..

You can always look at what output it produces when you run it in a terminal. Then again that might be a problem when the system freezes...

Beans

Off the top of my head I'm going to say remember to add -opengl to the end of your execution line. And make sure your video drivers are bleeding edge.

Wine is up to 0.9.35 now. Upgrade! It helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

DEFINITELY use -opengl if you're not.

example: wine war3.exe -opengl

Also, make sure Beryl is NOT running. I know that it can mess with a lot of 3d apps.

Another recommendation is trying CEDEGA. I had warcraft 3 running -almost- perfectly with CEDEGA.
    There were some transparency issues with building units but other than that it was perfect

Beans

Same problem here. I have Acer travelmate 2480 series with Intel graphics chip. I got warcraf 3 running 3 or 4 times, but now it freezes. I do use -opengl. Also renamed "Movies" folder. And I installed wine a week ago. I'm using 915resolution to correct to 1280x800. Any sensible explanation or fix ?

edit: this topic has same issues: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=160501
    Last edited by prowler; May 7th, 2007 at 01:02 PM.