Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't linux run windows programs?

Beans

Re: Why can't linux run windows programs?

It's weird how some of you guys make the whole free software thing like it's a war or something.
    There's a particular windows app I use which has the source code released, but no linux version has been written. Now I could port it myself, but I don't know anything about programming, so that won't work. So I run it using wine. Are you going to regard me as scum for that?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMay16 View Post
    It's weird how some of you guys make the whole free software thing like it's a war or something.
    There's a particular windows app I use which has the source code released, but no linux version has been written. Now I could port it myself, but I don't know anything about programming, so that won't work. So I run it using wine. Are you going to regard me as scum for that?
    Uhm, you're getting awfully defensive there Mr. peacekeeper. No one in this thread bashed windows at all (which is a small miracle in and of it self) yet you're acting like we're 'all up in your territory'.

I give your post an 7 out of 10 for creative use of irony.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
    Uhm, you're getting awfully defensive there Mr. peacekeeper. No one in this thread bashed windows at all (which is a small miracle in and of it self) yet you're acting like we're 'all up in your territory'.

I give your post an 7 out of 10 for creative use of irony.
    Yeah, I'll give you 10/10 for being ridiculous. My post was aimed at Doctormo who was saying something about 'sad pathetic people' who use proprietary software.

You've got a lot to learn before you can beat me. Try again kiddo heh heh heh heh heh

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mthakur2006 View Post
    Why? I want to know....after all its all text which can be converted to bianry code and used by the machine.....I am intrigued..
    any ideas?
    These are the questions that keep me coming back again and again........Thank you for saying this......It has made my day!
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If the source code is available how is it proprietory or what private formats does it use that isn't in the available source code? I hardly see that what I way saying applies to you; since not only is the source code available but you've never felt like whining about the availability in these forums anyway.

As for wine, you will use the tools that you can and you will also accept the risks those tools come with. I'm saying wine will never be complete and it's better to port, it seems like you can't port so you'll have to ask the original developers or get someone else interested.

At least if you push at it you'll open up a new application to everyone else on these forums.

As for scum, well I fear you've read to much into it, I don't intent to insult people who depend on windows only proprietory programs, but I feel a great deal of sorrow for them; like children who won't take their hand out of the fire, it's not their fault really.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: Why can't linux run windows programs?

Yes thanks, I know why now... a happy camper now.
    Regards,
    Windows 7 RC
    Dell Latitude D620 - C2d 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro Graphics, 120 GB HDD

Beans

Linux can't run Windows programs because its Linux. Linux and Windows do things differently and use different types of libraries to do the same thing. If you did want a program to run on all systems you would have to do a lot of "if" statements which would probably double the amount of code needed by the program and as a result probably slow it down.
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EdThaSlayer View Post
    Linux can't run Windows programs because its Linux. Linux and Windows do things differently and use different types of libraries to do the same thing. If you did want a program to run on all systems you would have to do a lot of "if" statements which would probably double the amount of code needed by the program and as a result probably slow it down.
    Umm that would not really matter as you only need 1 if / switch statement in the beginning to check for aobut 2 of the major os linux / os x / windows..

wish i could run windows apps on linux especially photoshop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

there is the system calls issues. programs need to ask the kernel to do things. (windows does actually have all the POSIX system calls)

library differences. if you want to display a window on the screen you use a GUI library (rather than trying to specify what colour each pixel should be). windows has its APIs, linux has GTK, Qt etc. same issues for sound, networking, 3d etc. you could include all this code in your program instead of using libraries, but that would waste of a lot of effort.

cross platform programming. if you assume that code will only be run on a certain type of computer you might be tempted to make assumptions out of lazyness. eg assume that the directory separator is a '/' or a '\' or a ':', that line endings are '\c\f' or '\c' or '\f', that certain files should be in certain places. it does not take to much effort to make a dir_sep variable, and use that, but people don't always.

binary executable formats. there are different types. eg ELF, a.out, PE, .com etc.

WINE does a pretty good job of dealing with all these issues. you could always donate 50% of how much you would pay if you had to buy vista to them, to help them out.
    Last edited by ssam; April 15th, 2007 at 11:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

See, everyone missed the opportunity on this thread. Nobody should have actually answered his question...we should have all just answered in analogous questions like the first few posters did...

Why can't Linux run Windows programs?!?!?!

Why can't penguins fly when other birds can?

Why do hot dog buns come in packages of 8 when hot dogs come in packages of 10? (Oh, wait, that was from Bullet Proof Monk, and I beleive the answer was, "sometimes things just work out that way...")

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast