Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't linux run windows programs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Why can't linux run windows programs?

Because it's not Windows. That's whats all about it. You can't make a NES run a SMS game and you can't play a PS2 game on an XBox.

To be more specific, Linux can't run Windows programs because Microsoft closes its API so that it's so hard to run or reverse-engineer Windows programs.
    Windows programs use things not available on a Linux system, and also Linux programs use things not available on a Windows system.
    Projects like Wine, Cedega and CrossOver try to create a suitable environment for a Windows program to run, but it's not that easy, because as I said before, it's all closed information.

I hope this post has been helpful.

Extreme Coder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Auria View Post
    Now ask Microsoft to release their code... ask the big corporations to release the source code to their app... when you get their answer you'll understand why its not possible
    I understand that, and in fact, when you release an executable you're releasing the source code written in binary data, the source is the executable itself. Obviously reading 1 MB of pure binary data translated to processor opcodes is really painful (is it?).

you said "all programs are made of text that can be recompiled"... only if this code is made available by its makers
    I didn't say that, what I tried to explain is that programming languages provide a common basis for application development. And as I exposed above you actually have the source code, the code goes wherever the executable goes.

there is the Wine project though, that tries to make from scratch an entirely open-source windows environment
    Yes I know Wine exists, and in fact, you're agreeing with me, that Linux is able (as any other OS) to run any program as long as anyone can provide a workaround for system-dependent issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    Square peg, meet round hole.
    What's that supposed to mean?

Regards.
    Free software, free society. - Richard M. Stallman.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't think Linux should support the windows API, windows has enough trouble with keeping backwards compatibility with it's self and all the security breaches that entails.

Any programmer can port his application to Linux; that should be enough. if a product isn't available for Linux then don't buy it.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Because it's developed for Windows. You have to have the knowledge to comprehend a certain language, the same applies for machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    I don't think Linux should support the windows API, windows has enough trouble with keeping backwards compatibility with it's self and all the security breaches that entails.

Any programmer can port his application to Linux; that should be enough. if a product isn't available for Linux then don't buy it.
    Me too, and to be honest, I only use Linux (more precisely Ubuntu v6.10 - Edgy). I've never bought Windows (and, by the way, I'm not planning to do so). I, always, recommend everyone not only to use Linux but also completely remove Windows from their computers.

I'm just saying that Linux can support windows applications as long as anyone can provide a workaround for system-dependent related issues. Don't forget that most people still need to use windows applications in their home computers.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Auria I apologize for the post, I actually thought you were saying that to me.

Regards.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleQuadword View Post
    What's that supposed to mean?
    I can't answer that without sounding pedantic, so suffice it to say:

Windows programs = square peg
    Linux = round hole

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Windows programs are not compatible with Linux because they are written with Windows in mind. They will make calls to DLLs that Windows has, make use of windows only software (DirectX anyone?), or make system calls. What Wine attempts to do is create an open-source compatibility layer that mimics a windows install and tricks applications into "thinking" they're running in a really poorly done Windows install.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    why can't a dishwaster cook bread.
    I thought this summed it up pretty well. Other possible editions include:

- Why don't my TV's rabbit ears pick up digital cable?
    - Why can't I use wood shavings to flavor my food?
    - Why doesn't my refrigerator run on diesel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm just saying that Linux can support windows applications as long as anyone can provide a workaround for system-dependent related issues.
    As someone who's programmed for both linux and windows I think this is a rather over simplification. you might as well have just said "We can win the war in Iraq as long as someone can provide a workaround for insurgent-dependant related issues."

Lets be honest, the windows API is horse manure and I wouldn't want support for it in gnu/linux by default. too dangerous. it isn't the fact that it's complex, has many bugs by design, has about 15 ways to call any of the hundreds of thousands of methods and dll functions it's that we're dealing with a moving target and a moving target that has malicious intentions against our community. we don't stand a chance of offering full support as good as we are as a community at offering the options people want.

Wait and we shall have adobe and eventually even microsoft developing for the gnu api directly.

Don't forget that most people still need to use windows applications in their home computers.
    No most people do not. Some people do; the odd, sad person who sold out on proprietory formats or programs without the will to demand proper support for their operating system of choice. what kind of sympathy should I have for them that they offer support for these products and formats (through use) and yet place all the blame for their not working on floss. I don't think there is a kind of sympathy, only sorrow.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast