Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does your email come from?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Where does your email come from?

I've been receiving email for the past 8 years from a chum of mine. He set me up a nice little account running squirrelmail on his server and I was quite happy with it.

Anyway, last week I found the server down, and when I called him this is what he said: "Oh, sorry dude. For some reason the guy I rent the server space from deleted my account and everything in it. Yeah, I don't know what his problem is, I only skipped about 6 months on my payments. Yeah, I know, I lost all my mail too. Why would I keep backups? The server did that for itself."

I said goodbye, hung up the phone, and beat my head into the wall.

So, I'm kind of in need of a place I can get free email. Preferably web based, (I love squirrelmail), but beggars can't be choosers. What are some good places besides the usual MSN-hotmail/Yahoo/Google ? I've looked around over the last few days but thought you guys might know something I don't.

Beans

Re: Where does your email come from?

I don't really know of any good ones besides gmail. what're you looking for in an email service, besides it being web based?

Beans

I must say I have been completely satisfied with gmail for about 9 months now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I use a mixture; gmail/googlemail to act as my public account (use it to log in messenger, and enter on sites where I know Im going to end up recieving newsletters and so on) and my webmail account on my server, Buffer Sledge.
    Gmail has too many advantages above the likes of Hotmail and so on, more than likely your best bet.
    I will plunge you into a nightmare world from which there is no awakening. In a lol way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Gmail's great. And you don't even have to log into the website (except for the first time to turn POP access on)!

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, free pop access is priceless!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hard to find something wrong with Gmail. The POP3 service is great, and the SPAM protection is wonderful.

I wouldn't mess with Yahoo. At one time they used to be good, but the SPAM folder in Yahoo seems to have legitimate mail, and the Inbox seems to have more SPAM than the SPAM folder does, at least for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I took to renting a virtual private server and sticking Debian Testing on it.

It runs Exim, Procmail and Courier-IMAP and does everything I need it to
    We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation - Voltaire

Beans

i currently use Gmail for ALL my mail, but i'm thinking about using some other hosting cuz Gmail is starting to have issues...and it's not as "special" as it once was

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by jdhore View Post
    i currently use Gmail for ALL my mail, but i'm thinking about using some other hosting cuz Gmail is starting to have issues... and it's not as "special" as it once was
    I admire your loyalty.
    I will plunge you into a nightmare world from which there is no awakening. In a lol way.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast