Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Linux Software Raid using mdadm

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Linux Software Raid using mdadm

Question:

I have 2 disks atm which I want to make into one software raid (RAID0)

If at a later time I get a third new disk can I append this to the same raid without loosing any data in the current raid?

Beans

I have Raid5 setup with 3 250GB ATA Discs. Two of the disk are Maxtor 250GB and one is 250GB Segate. Maxtor discs are a bit bigger than Seagate.

But...

There is something wrong with my setup. Once I reboot my system, array is broken. mdadm says two off the three dics are broken? Where should I start searching for error.

Here's my system
    AMD Duron 700MHz
    512M SDRAM
    200GB System
    3x250GB RAID
    2x Promise PCI ATA controller
    Ubuntu 7.04 Server.
    mobo has its own HPT730 RAID controller. (Don't remenber model)

And sorry for my bad english.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Klingon View Post
    I have 2 disks atm which I want to make into one software raid (RAID0)

If at a later time I get a third new disk can I append this to the same raid without loosing any data in the current raid?
    Although I haven't done it myself, I think you can. Check out http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...&highlight=md0

Cocodude

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Receiving an error saying device in use when running this command?

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --chunk=4 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
    Use --verbose to be promoted to force the "device busy" error.
    Join your a Local Linux User Group or an Ubuntu Local Community Team...
    Purchase your next computer with Ubuntu pre-installed and supported for best hardware compatibility.
    Support companies that support Ubuntu and Linux solutions.

Beans

I have gutsy server version and can't get software RAID to work. mdadm isn't even installed. If I try to apt-get it, I get:

root@server:/usr/bin# apt-get install mdadm
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package mdadm is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package mdadm has no installation candidate

apt-get update works fine when I set everything to New Zealand servers (the Australian repository is always down - thanks for that Optus). I tried manually downloading mdadm and doing an install but make isn't even installed on gutsy. Installing make doesn't work either because of other dependencies, and further down the rabbit hole I go.

What am I doing wrong?

Beans

Hi All

i want to setup ubuntu 6.10 with software raid on a Sun Qube 3

is there a little howto for help?

the qube does not support virtual tty's

hope to get it alive

how can a raid be rebuild after a crash easyly?

thanks tom
    germany

Beans

Please, don't forget the all important step of adding your new md array to the fstab file. This will ensure your array is restarted at bootup. I thought this was worth mentioning again (the original post somewhat glossed over it).

here is a perfect example
    Last edited by sonofanickel; January 31st, 2008 at 06:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am going to say thank you because you have pointed me in the right direction.
    I am using an ASRock m/b and was trying to use the on board RAID. If I do that I see no drives in Ubuntu.
    Using Non-RAID settings of the m/b at lease allows Ubuntu to see the disks. I have not been able to bet installed yet but I am heading in the right direction
    I will update when I have got things working
    Mick 'n Keef rock, Chas beats time and Ronnie is the new boy
    Registered as user 466848 with the Linux Counter. Registered Ubuntu User 22858. Our company website or our new venture

Beans
    Distro

Further to my earlier comments it is an issue with Dapper.
    I was trying to use Dapper because it is the LTS version, but Dapper only sees the first SATA drive. No matter how many or where they are plugged only the first available drive is shown.
    I know I can see them all in Gutsy - trouble is at the moment I cannot get the Live CD to install. I get the first menu up but then it sits and goes nowhere.
    I am at this very moment (on another machine) downloading the alternate CD so I might update this post later.
    Bye for now!!
    Registered as user 466848 with the Linux Counter. Registered Ubuntu User 22858. Our company website or our new venture

Beans
    Distro

Once again thanks to kragen for this thread.
    However......
    I wish it were that simple. I am now on my umpteenth attempt at setting up a server with a mirrored RAID.
    My history so far.
    I want to set up a web server with a RAID so that I can have some measure of security for the sites I am going to host. So initially I thought I will use DAPPER as this is the LTS offering. Only to find that Dapper cannot cope with more than 1 SATA drive - it does not seem to recognise the others. What ho, never mind. I look at Plesk website and they offer support on Gutsy as well.
    So I download the image from the Ubuntu website for AMD64. I took the standard version. Ran the CD which gave me the option to install and it just sat there looking at me. I tried all the other options on the menu - the only one that did something was the check CD option.
    Never mind, maybe it corrupted on its way to the CD, so burnt another copy. Same - no options would go anywhere.
    Well maybe it corrupted during the download. Downloaded another copy from a different mirror. Burnt the CD - just the same. (if anyone wants a CD I have a few spare!!!)
    I found the alternate version for the AMD64 desktop on the website and downloaded. Burnt the image to disk. Ran the installer. It worked!!!
    Next I got to the partitioner to find that I had got a disk missing. Checked all connections and restated the installer. I found all my disks. Then set about partitioning.
    OK I have three disks. 1 x 80Gb which I am using to install OS and normal stuff. 2 x 500Gb which are going to be mirrored for the sites.
    This is where I differ from kragen in his (I assume his and not her - apologies if I have wrong gender) comments.
    and this is where I am going to be slightly critical. Kragen sets up how he is going to partition his disk. 1Gb for swap, 150Gb for RAID / home, 40Gb for root, some space for boot. My criticism is that for someone who has never used a partitioner there is insufficient detail.
    for example. Go to disk 1. set up partition by a) stating the format to be used, b) saying how it is to be formatted, c) giving it the mount point and so on.
    On my system I have set partitions on the disks I am using for RAID as being Physical volume for RAID and I do this on both but then I have to set a RAID partition giving the same details - or so I think.
    When I have worked out precisely what I have had to do I will create a new thread - referencing kragen .
    I have twice got past the point of partitioning the disks only to have the install fail further down the line. When I have nailed the little ...... I will wax lyrical once again.
    Bye for now

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast