Thread: DansGaurdian?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

DansGaurdian?

My ubuntuCE is going on my son's computer. However the only thing we want control over is Dansgaurdian. He's computer savy and has to have certain programs for his school and his recording studio work. So he's made his own password for his root so he could do all of it himself. Is there a way to reset just Dansgaurdian's access password? This way we will still be able to control what he views and doesn't view over the internet. We have had problems with "viewing pleasure" in the past, and he wants us to keep him accountable. SO Any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: DansGaurdian?

Quote Originally Posted by Huggy View Post
    My ubuntuCE is going on my son's computer. However the only thing we want control over is Dansgaurdian. He's computer savy and has to have certain programs for his school and his recording studio work. So he's made his own password for his root so he could do all of it himself. Is there a way to reset just Dansgaurdian's access password? This way we will still be able to control what he views and doesn't view over the internet. We have had problems with "viewing pleasure" in the past, and he wants us to keep him accountable. SO Any suggestions?
    Hi,
    Thanks for your interest in Ubuntu CE.

Unfortunately, the answer is no. The only way to keep your child from easily going around the dansguardian filtering is to setup a user account for him. If he has root access then there is no stopping him from just turning it off.

This has been discussed and so far no other solution has presented itself. Since the root user has complete control of the system it is not possible to set a password for the one program. Even if you did setup the password, the root user could easily go around it.

God Bless, Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For parental controls maybe you would want to look at a router. It might be hard finding one that does this but there are routers available that can block certain websites. Maybe there are ways around this protection but it might be worth a look. http://img146.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_1167lo.jpg

The idea behind this is you could setup a password to allow only yourself access to the router settings then allow only certain websites, or block websites by keyword. Someone could maybe reset the password by holding a hidden button down for a minute, but they would likely have to read how to do this from the company's website.

This might only work for a web browser tho. It would block access for everyone using the router. You could ask your local electronics dealer about this maybe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you went with the router solution, you would also need to be certain that your son would not have physical access to the router, so he wouldn't be able to bypass it physically.

I think and hope that the accountability software solution that is being proposed and worked on by xtheblack9x, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=398529, will be at least a partial solution to this request.

Wishing you the best,
    Randy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Thank you very much for your input and we will try the router solution.