Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From SW Va.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello From SW Va.

Good Day All,
    This is Eddie from SouthWest Va. I live in Galax, Va. and if anyone knows about bluegrass music then they know Galax. Its home to the Galax Old Time Fiddlers Convention. One of the largest in the world. And we do have people from all over the world here every August. Maybe I'll see one of my fellow Ubuntu users then. Who knows?
    Thanks,
    Eddie
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Hello From SW Va.

No way! I was born and raised in Galax. I just moved to Radford a few years ago, but I'm in Galax about once a month.

Small world eh?

Yeah, the Fiddlers Convention gets people from Japan-- performing even, not just watching. It's always a good time, even if you don't like bluegrass.

EDIT: I was technically born in Martinsville but I was only a few months old when we moved to Galax

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Hey, I've been to the Rex Theatre! The August event is on my to-do list although definitely not for this year.

While I live in Tennessee, recently I have been in Pennsylvania a lot. I know I81 well and often stop at the Flying J in Wytheville.

Maybe I can help with a Fiddlers Convention and InstallFest in Galax some year!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Just posting a hello from down here in Norton VA. Been to Galax once or twice. Nice to see some people on here from close by.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I haven't been to galax for a loooong time, but I had played at a few back in the 80's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello from Roanoke, the Star City in SW VA! My father's side of the family is all around Galax, mostly around Fancy Gap. The Fiddler's Convention is a big thing for my family every year.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jcjones View Post
    Hello from Roanoke, the Star City in SW VA! My father's side of the family is all around Galax, mostly around Fancy Gap. The Fiddler's Convention is a big thing for my family every year.
    Thats good to hear. Maybe we can visit during the convention this year. Thanks to all for the posts and it would be great to hear from some more Virginians.
    Eddie
    Iguana

Registered Linux User #490719

Beans
    Distro

I'm here in Roanoke, VA. Grew up in Salem, recently returned to the area and am working in the great metropolis of Burnt Chimney, VA.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by JPorter View Post
    Burnt Chimney, VA.
    Is that really the name of the town?

EDIT: nevermind, I googled it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nice!

MyDLL URTH is in downtown Galax. If you are walking W. Grayson St during one of the street festivals, drop in at MyDLL URTH (and LS Net) to share coffee with our Ubuntu users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast