Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any good alternative to Origin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Any good alternative to Origin

Quote Originally Posted by in_flu_ence View Post
    Does R be able to extract data from an excel/OOo spreadsheet and process the data from there on?
    Don't know, but it can handle .csv files just fine and both excel and OOo can save in that format. Otherwise, text files are well supported generally. You can write custom files and tell R how to read them in fact. See the "read" function in the R documentation.

R will basically take the columns of your file as variables and go from there treating each variable as a vector and forming a data frame by associating a set of variables to a common object and index. It works out nicely because it also establishes a standard order to the variables as well, so you can still treat the data frame as a matrix.
    Euler_fan
    Ubuntu User # 15369 at the Ubuntu Counter Project
    Woot for GPG

Beans

Question Re: Any good alternative to Origin

I tried out GRACE but it requires command line for examlpe for smoothning of curve I could not fin what to do?? dO U HAVE ANY IDEA??
    LABPLOT OF NO USE!
    sCIGRAPHICA HAS LOTS OF BUGS!

DID U FIND ANY SOFTWARE WHICH CAN B USED FOR GRPAHING LIKE ORIGIN AND IMOPRT ASCII????
    Quote Originally Posted by in_flu_ence View Post
    As title, any good alternative that you find to be user-friendly and can work much like Origin?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by mrsurf View Post
    I tried out GRACE but it requires command line for examlpe for smoothning of curve I could not fin what to do?? dO U HAVE ANY IDEA??
    LABPLOT OF NO USE!
    sCIGRAPHICA HAS LOTS OF BUGS!

DID U FIND ANY SOFTWARE WHICH CAN B USED FOR GRPAHING LIKE ORIGIN AND IMOPRT ASCII????
    maybe try "extrema"? http://exsitewebware.com/extrema/

Beans

My favourite right now is pylab (matplotlib). More matlab-like, easier to get to know that R I think, and great quality graphics.

Ages ago I tried grace and really liked it at first. But then I often have data with gaps, and grace won't plot gaps (e.g. NaN), so gave up on it.

Beans

QTIPLOT works well. Also Origin-7.5 works perfectly in wine...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12