View Poll Results: When using the installer, do you need to do additional tweak?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it runs perfectly

114 76.00%
  • Yes, I need to copy dll manually

16 10.67%
  • Yes, I need to copy dll and set dll overrides manually

20 13.33%
Page 82 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Install E-sword with wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuel111 View Post
    I've tried to follow the various threads for installation but still have having no success with the search function. I'm using the current edition of Wine as I have not been able to install Wine 1.0.1. Any help much appreciated.
    What version of Ubuntu are you using?

I don't think Wine 1.0.1 is available anymore. It looks like 1.0.4 is the default install for Ubuntu 12.04.

I think maybe the original solution in Post 1 is outdated. See posts 804,805, and Post 809 above.

I recommend deleting E-Sword if you used the installer script. Make sure all instances of E-Sword are deleted in /home/user. If not, manually delete them. I also recommend deleting all instances of wine in /home/user. Then remove Wine.

1. Reinstall Wine (Probably Wine 1.4)
    2. Set up winecfg and winetricks as recommended in post 804. Winetricks can be tricky. You may have to do it twice.

3. Then manually install E-Sword which is available from the e-Sword website.
    Last edited by ubume2; August 13th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Beans

Well, I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with Wine 1.5 . I have installed a few windows programs via Wine with no problems including Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise business suite and the programs run fine.

I have used E-Sword for years, and LOVED the search function. Well I downloaded the new e-sword 10.1 from the main e-sword website, and installed it. Everything worked great EXCEPT the search function. I even wrote RICK, and he replied I just needed to register my dlls. Well, I did not know which ones or how to go about that....so...

I came to this topic, and I have tried it BOTH ways with the auto installer and the method where someone installed from RICK's site and just reconfigured wine / wine tricks, etc. by installing the add-ons, and followed to the Microsoft site, etc. I even did the wine config TWICE.

Results: Now I can not even get e-sword to launch and though I have the files, the icon will not launch, nor is it recognized in Dash. I have uninstalled it using BOTH methods and tried to reinstall it. E-sword will say it is installed, but never launches. So now I am in worst shape than I was.

Thing is most of the posts on this thread in the beginning were made like 5 years ago, so I can't help thinking that may be the problem.

Now I have the task of BACK-TRACKING to see which .dll or add on that I installed or changed. CURRENTLY I have UNINSTALLED the e-sword program until I can figure things out.

~CT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

@CT

Have you read posts 804, 805 and 809?

I would try to install wine 1.4.

Completely remove all instances of E-Sword, then remove wine using synaptic or the command line. Check your /home/user file for any instances of the hidden files .wine .wine-esword. If they are present delete them.

Install wine then configure it per this url:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post11673552

Then manually install E-Sword.

Worked fine for me, but your results may vary.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubume2 View Post
    @CT

Completely remove all instances of E-Sword, then remove wine using synaptic or the command line. Check your /home/user file for any instances of the hidden files .wine .wine-esword. If they are present delete them.

Yes. Following those posts is what caused my e-sword that was launching to no longer launch. As for going back to Wine 1.4, I realize that was the last stable, but I moved to 1.5 because some suggestions before I installed my other windows programs - which by the way all work fine. I just don't want to keep fooling around and mess those up too.

I will let you know if I get things fixed.

~CT

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubume2 View Post
    @CT

OK, it looks like things are working great now!

ubume2, I had followed the posts (804, 805 and 809) numerous times and even added the extra fixes, add-ons, etc. I took YOUR ADVICE, and installed Wine 1.4.

I had been hesitant to remove my wine 1.5 (developer version) but finally out of frustration I thought - "Well, I can always re-install the other software if they get screwed up".

When I looked into uninstalling the wine 1.5, it wanted to remove all my wine installed programs so I did not go that route. Instead I used the ubuntu software center and searched for Wine. It came up as 1.4 (stable version) so I chose to INSTALL it. It warned me that in doing so it would have to remove (2) versions of wine 1.5, so I clicked INSTALL anyway. It went through the process, installing 1.4 with add-ons.

I then UNINSTALLED e-sword via the official website exe, and also ran the auto-installer that Dave created and chose to remove the version it had installed. I then searched a few folders and removed the rest of e-sword directories under some hidden directories.

Next, (knowing I had already installed the dlls in the past) I decided just to RIGHT click on the esword 10 exe (downloaded right from Rick's website), which I had retained in my downloads folder, and chose to open with Wine. I followed the typical installer process with the wizard that comes up as you would any windows program.

It installed. It launched!

My SEARCH function WORKS!

SPECIAL NOTE: when the search box comes up and you enter a word, the "ok" button at the bottom right still appears greyed out. Do not worry, all you do it click the BINOCULARS icon in the top right, and a full SEARCH is performed, rendering your results!

THANKS guys!

It seemed my main problem was Wine 1.5 was not fully compatible with the files I had installed. Once I returned to 1.4 all WORKS.

~CT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Fantastic!

And Good Luck.

Beans

ok... all went well following the instructions in posts 804, 805 and 809.

e-Sword installed, runs, and searches just fine. I'm using 10.1.0 under Ubuntu 12.04 with Wine 1.4.

One annoyance though, the verses in the left pane do not highlight when I click on them, and most (maybe even all) of the verse links clicked in the right pane commentaries do not cause the left pane to go to the verse -it goes to the book and chapter, but not to the verse.

If I click a verse and then switch translations the left pane does not stay on the verse.

If I click a verse, the icons in the commentary tabs change (indicating available content) as they should, but the open commentary won't scroll to the text pertaining to the verse.

It's as if the little "chain" icon were not clicked.

Any ideas anyone?

George

Beans

Really? No one? not even a commiserate??

Beans

E-Sword is great but The Word under Wine is idiot proof and very close.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hi there,
    i have installed esword in ubuntu 12.04. systems are working fine, the only issue i had was the NET bible not showing any font etc. following the advice below (which i already had the DLLs) i only had to add it in the dll overrides!
    great stuff!
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david_kt View Post
    Last time the 8 version work very well, including the maps and text. Below is my notes on winehq:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=34011

Code:
    Need to add msls31.dll from windows, copy riched20.dll from e-Sword directory to system32 directory, and add dlloverrides for riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll.
    If you could find my older script for this purpose is the best (e-Sword_installer_211108.tar.gz).

DK

Page 82 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast