View Poll Results: When using the installer, do you need to do additional tweak?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it runs perfectly

    114 76.00%
  • Yes, I need to copy dll manually

    16 10.67%
  • Yes, I need to copy dll and set dll overrides manually

    20 13.33%
Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 849

Thread: How To Install E-sword with wine

  1. #541
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    12

    Lost my e-sword navigation tree

    Everything running smooth at last! thanks alot for all your help. But, there still one weird. My Navigation Trees has lost, dont know how to bring it back. Its usually place at the very left of esword view.

    Im still can using the look scripture reference that available at top-left. But its still uncomfortable using e-sword without navigations tree. please help me to solve it

    Im using wine -1.1.32 and esword 9.03

  2. #542
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Beans
    101
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Lost my e-sword navigation tree

    Quote Originally Posted by n36atr0n View Post
    Everything running smooth at last! thanks alot for all your help. But, there still one weird. My Navigation Trees has lost, dont know how to bring it back. Its usually place at the very left of esword view.

    Im still can using the look scripture reference that available at top-left. But its still uncomfortable using e-sword without navigations tree. please help me to solve it

    Im using wine -1.1.32 and esword 9.03
    The installer needs to be updated to get the latest version of e-sword to fix the problem. According to e-sword web site:

    e-Sword version 9.5 changes from 9.0

    A fully dockable user interface enables you to completely customize the layout in hundreds of different ways! Display what you want, where you want it by dragging the views into position with their titlebar.

    Back by popular demand, the Bible Browser! The new dockable interface allows you to place it wherever you want, or not display it at all.

  3. #543
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    12

    Re: Lost my e-sword navigation tree

    Quote Originally Posted by zeroandone View Post
    The installer needs to be updated to get the latest version of e-sword to fix the problem. According to e-sword web site:

    e-Sword version 9.5 changes from 9.0

    A fully dockable user interface enables you to completely customize the layout in hundreds of different ways! Display what you want, where you want it by dragging the views into position with their titlebar.

    Back by popular demand, the Bible Browser! The new dockable interface allows you to place it wherever you want, or not display it at all.
    Its so amazing! Thank you all!!! after im upgrading this, its normal again.
    Im waiting this for so long time. Thanks for all friends here that so much helping me. Thanks

  4. #544
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    276

    Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

    Quote Originally Posted by kneewax View Post
    Hi folks,

    I just had a to re-install Ubuntu and as part of the process upgraded to version 9 of e-sword using David's fabulous script.

    BUT I have to say I really hate the new version of the software - none of my modules work (I know other found this) including versions I bought. The strange 'script' (for alt+1 etc) icons are a mess and the loss of the scripture navigation tool (I got it back once, but now it's gone again) is a real loss. Added to that it keeps locking up and freezig on my x64 machine.

    This is not the script or David's fault, I am really grateful forr all the help David has given me getting revious versions working - and the script is just fantastic. Does anyone have a copy of version 8 setup.exe they could mail me as it's no longer available on Rick's site? I think I'll do a manual install of that rather than struggle with this. Not sure what it's like under windows but if it's as bad as it is under Wine then I fear Rick may have made a mistake with this latest version.....
    Hi Kneewax:

    I have a copy of 8.0 I paid for. After using it for years I figure I should contribute.
    I regret trying to upgrade because everything worked but the maps and the text was fuzzy but I am now pretty sure i could at least have fixed the text.
    I have a lot of the plug ins as well as well.
    There is another program called TheWord that is supposed to be very Linux friendly and I may try running it on puppy which I like.

    I can send you a copy since it is share ware. If you give me your address , or I can send it general delivery . I would not be offended.

    If anyone can help me get the maps to work in 8 would be most grateful.

  5. #545
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Solo, Indonesia
    Beans
    1,316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

    Quote Originally Posted by frank cox View Post
    I regret trying to upgrade because everything worked but the maps and the text was fuzzy but I am now pretty sure i could at least have fixed the text.
    If anyone can help me get the maps to work in 8 would be most grateful.
    Last time the 8 version work very well, including the maps and text. Below is my notes on winehq:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=34011

    Code:
    Need to add msls31.dll from windows, copy riched20.dll from e-Sword directory to system32 directory, and add dlloverrides for riched20.dll and oleaut32.dll.
    If you could find my older script for this purpose is the best (e-Sword_installer_211108.tar.gz).

    DK

  6. #546
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    20

    Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

    For some reason, I could never get E-sword to work on Jaunty. A few days ago though, I upgraded to Karmic, and now it works great (not sure if it uses an upgraded version of Wine?). Even the modules can be added now simply by downloading and double clicking them (just like on Windows).

    Before, using E-Sword was one of the few times that I rebooted my computer into Windows. The other main reason is when I need to do recording because I haven't been able to get that to work in Ubuntu. But, I'm happy to say that I am finding fewer and fewer reasons to ever boot into Windows (the fact that I have Vista dissuades me even more)!

    Anyway, E-Sword is the first Bible software I have ever used and definitely the best free Bible software I have ever come across. I have Xiphos, and while that has some good resources, it doesn't come close to E-Sword. I really think that free Bible software is a good idea, and I would like to see more things become available for free through agreements with publishing companies, etc. It's nice to know that the ESV, one of the best modern translations, has been made available on this and other programs for free.

    Also, I really think E-Sword should be made open source so that it can be developed natively for Mac and Linux and improved by the community.

  7. #547
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Solo, Indonesia
    Beans
    1,316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

    Quote Originally Posted by rgroene View Post
    For some reason, I could never get E-sword to work on Jaunty. A few days ago though, I upgraded to Karmic, and now it works great (not sure if it uses an upgraded version of Wine?). Even the modules can be added now simply by downloading and double clicking them (just like on Windows).
    That is because newer wine. Check wine --version. I notice karmic repository has 2 wine, stable version (1.0.1) and beta version (1.1.32). Whereas in Jaunty only 1.0.1. So, it might be you use 1.1.32 in karmic.

    Anyhow, I doubt it would run perfectly. You still need msls31 to enable pop up when pointing to reference number, and dlloverride to show map properly. That is the reason I still maintain the installer.

    DK

  8. #548
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    20

    Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

    If you are talking about the pop-ups that come up when you hover over the reference numbers in KJV+Strong's reference numbers, that seems to be working OK. I haven't tried displaying maps. I think I may have installed some add-ons a while back through winetricks, but I don't remember if that was on my current installation. The only other programs I have running through Wine are Notepad++ (for programming), iTunes+QuickTime (for listening to *.m4a and other formats not supported), and ies4linux (for those very rare occasions in which I actually need to use Internet Explorer, such as testing)

    In any case, it doesn't run *perfectly*. The one thing I have found that wasn't perfect was the rendering. While most of the text on the screen is easily readable, some of the smaller text at the very bottom of the application is barely readable and the text in the pop-ups is sort of hard to read. But, anyway, it's been running well enough that it doesn't justify booting into Windows.

    Also, my current version number of Wine is 1.1.31.

  9. #549
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    2

    Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

    Friends, when after the install with the script I get the same message than chzumbrunnen but with the spanish variation: instead of Program files, I have Archivos de programa; this is my directory:

    /home/erwin/.wine_Esword/drive_c/Archivos de programa/e-Sword

    instead of the default in the script (I guess):

    /home/erwin/.wine_Esword/drive_c/Program Files/e-Sword/

    Some suggestions, please. I'm here after few hours fighting against my machine

    I'm using wine 1.1.32 under Xubuntu 9.10.

    (Sorry my english, I just speak spanish, from Chile)
    --------------------------------------------------------------

    Edit:

    I have final solution for the "returned status 1. Aborting." message: I create a /Program Files/e-Sword/ folder in /.wine_Esword/drive_c/ and make the install there. Problem solved. Hope this help other people!

    (again, sorry my english)
    Last edited by saquerocl; November 11th, 2009 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Final solution!

  10. #550
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Solo, Indonesia
    Beans
    1,316
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

    Quote Originally Posted by saquerocl View Post
    Friends, when after the install with the script I get the same message than chzumbrunnen but with the spanish variation: instead of Program files, I have Archivos de programa; this is my directory:

    /home/erwin/.wine_Esword/drive_c/Archivos de programa/e-Sword

    instead of the default in the script (I guess):

    /home/erwin/.wine_Esword/drive_c/Program Files/e-Sword/

    Some suggestions, please. I'm here after few hours fighting against my machine

    I'm using wine 1.1.32 under Xubuntu 9.10.

    (Sorry my english, I just speak spanish, from Chile)
    --------------------------------------------------------------

    Edit:

    I have final solution for the "returned status 1. Aborting." message: I create a /Program Files/e-Sword/ folder in /.wine_Esword/drive_c/ and make the install there. Problem solved. Hope this help other people!

    (again, sorry my english)
    I will think of a way to suit other languages version other than English, hopefully I could find solution soon.

    DK

Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •