View Poll Results: When using the installer, do you need to do additional tweak?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it runs perfectly

114 76.00%
  • Yes, I need to copy dll manually

16 10.67%
  • Yes, I need to copy dll and set dll overrides manually

20 13.33%
Page 53 of 85 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Install E-sword with wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

Quote Originally Posted by jonathonblake;
    If a live disk user can select a default language, then I selected _English (South Africa)_. Next time I reboot, I'll pay attention to what I actually do.
    It seems that the default for the live disk I use is "English (US)"

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans

I am getting a similar error to lukeelliot on Ubu 9.04. I tried the script w/o wine update (using standard repository wine) and found it didn't work (got that cp -f error). I uninstalled wine via the Add/Remove package manager and then RTFM for the script and installed wine from the link (http://www.winehq.org/download/deb). After this, the script finished install (I did note an error in the beginning of the terminal output about ALSA but script didn't seem to care and I don't know what it would be doing with sound anyway).

To my dismay, this new version of wine does not seem to put any links in the applications menu (very annoying). I dug through folders to /home/jason/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/e-sword and tried running the exe in a terminal. I got the following in return:

jason@x2x64:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/e-sword$ ./e-Sword.exe
    fixmele:OleLoadPictureEx (0xf4af1c,18910,0,{7bf80980-bf32-101a-8bbb-00aa00300cab},x=0,y=0,f=0,0x32f980), partially implemented.
    err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\tx4ole14.ocx") not found
    errle:COMPOBJ_DllList_Add couldn't load in-process dll L"C:\\windows\\system32\\tx4ole14.ocx"
    errle:CoGetClassObject no class object {15a32f01-b939-11dc-af58-0013d350667c} could be created for context 0x3
    err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\tx4ole14.ocx") not found
    errle:COMPOBJ_DllList_Add couldn't load in-process dll L"C:\\windows\\system32\\tx4ole14.ocx"
    errle:CoGetClassObject no class object {15a32f01-b939-11dc-af58-0013d350667c} could be created for context 0x3
    Seems as if it can't find MFC42.DLL, but I don't know what that file is (MS Foundation Class?) and I can't find it either when I search my filesystem.

P.S. I RTFM again and noticed that the script was trying to run winetricks, which I did not have. I did (from home directory):

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    chmod +x winetricks
    ./winetricks mfc42

it said 'Install of mfc42 done' but I still don't seem to be able to find the file (nor can e-sword... even after an uninstall/reinstall I get the same error quoted above).

P.P.S. lil' further digging makes me think that my launching problem might be due to the fact that I no longer have that 'desktop launcher' I was complaining about (I am not much better than a newb when it comes to WINE BTW). After un-installing WINE, I had removed its menu entries under Applications (to tidy up before the reinstall of current version)... how do I get them back? (it doesn't seem to appear where it was before in System->Preferences->Main Menu)
    Last edited by phoenix137; September 19th, 2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix137 View Post
    To my dismay, this new version of wine does not seem to put any links in the applications menu (very annoying). I dug through folders to /home/jason/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/e-sword and tried running the exe in a terminal. I got the following in return:

Seems as if it can't find MFC42.DLL, but I don't know what that file is (MS Foundation Class?) and I can't find it either when I search my filesystem.
    Open terminal and run below command:

Code:
    env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_Esword wine "C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe"
    DK

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by david_kt View Post
    Open terminal and run below command:

Code:
    env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_Esword wine "C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe"
    DK
    Thanks!! That gets it running for now... I'll have to figure out how to get that in my Applications menu later I guess.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix137 View Post
    Thanks!! That gets it running for now... I'll have to figure out how to get that in my Applications menu later I guess.
    Here is how to do it. Open gedit and copy and paste below:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/menu-1.0.dtd">
    <Menu>
      <Name>Applications</Name>
      <Menu>
        <Name>wine-wine</Name>
        <Directory>wine-wine.directory</Directory>
      <Menu>
        <Name>wine-Programs</Name>
        <Directory>wine-Programs.directory</Directory>
      <Menu>
        <Name>wine-Programs-e-Sword</Name>
        <Directory>wine-Programs-e-Sword.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
          <Filename>wine-Programs-e-Sword-e-Sword.desktop</Filename>
        </Include>
      </Menu>
      </Menu>
      </Menu>
    </Menu>
    Save it as /home/username/.config/menus/applications-merged/wine-Programs-e-Sword-e-Sword.menu

Open new document in gedit and copy and paste below:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=e-Sword
    Exec=env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine_Esword" wine "C:\\Program Files\\e-Sword\\e-Sword.exe" 
    Type=Application
    StartupNotify=true
    Path=$HOME/.wine_Esword/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/e-Sword/
    Icon=$HOME/.local/share/icons/check_some_icon_here.png
    Save it as /home/david/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/e-Sword/e-Sword.desktop

Please replace Icon=$HOME/.local/share/icons/check_some_icon_here.png with a valid icon file.

DK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Maybe a new thread should be started. The current thread is getting too long.

Beans

I am trying to install on Kubuntu 9.04 on an Eee PC. The automatic method did not work. It kept trying to install to C: rather than under Program Files, and when I tried to click the button to change that, the installer crashed. So I ended up installing manually. I followed every step. Whenever I run via:

env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_eSword wine "C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe"

I get this output:

err:listview:LISTVIEW_WindowProc unknown msg 2210 wp=00000001 lp=00010034
    err:listview:LISTVIEW_WindowProc unknown msg 2210 wp=00000001 lp=00010038

Any ideas on where to start debugging? This happened to me when I was running Xandros. I finally got sick of Xandros, installed Kubuntu, and this same thing is still happening.

Thanks.

Beans

BTW, I should have mentioned, I am using wine version 1.0.1. I just installed it tonight from freshly-updated repos.

Beans

Well, that was shortlived. I did some googling and found this:

http://mattrudge.wordpress.com/2009/...r-wine-step-1/

Followed the instructions there, and it's working great now.

I definitely used winetricks to install mfc42. It gave me a success message. I feel like maybe that was supposed to copy the dll I was missing.

BTW, I'm not sure if you ever found the issue everyone was having with copying riched20.dll, but I'm pretty sure their installation was going in to C: just like mine was. I got that error too. It was because riched20.dll was in drive_c, not drive_c/Program Files/e-Sword. I could be wrong, but I know that's what was causing the same error in my case.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyg View Post
    Well, that was shortlived. I did some googling and found this:

http://mattrudge.wordpress.com/2009/...r-wine-step-1/

Followed the instructions there, and it's working great now.

I definitely used winetricks to install mfc42. It gave me a success message. I feel like maybe that was supposed to copy the dll I was missing.

BTW, I'm not sure if you ever found the issue everyone was having with copying riched20.dll, but I'm pretty sure their installation was going in to C: just like mine was.
    Please follow the steps on the first post of this thread (upgrade to latest wine), and the script should run without problem, installing e-Sword on the correct folder.

DK

Page 53 of 85 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast