View Poll Results: When using the installer, do you need to do additional tweak?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it runs perfectly

114 76.00%
  • Yes, I need to copy dll manually

16 10.67%
  • Yes, I need to copy dll and set dll overrides manually

20 13.33%
Page 32 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Install E-sword with wine

Beans

Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

David, I am new to Linux and Ubuntu, but I have been running e-Sword since version 6. I have just installed Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 2.0 for 64bit and I am very pleased with it. I want to install e-Sword too, but I would like to get your script. Where is it available? Thank you for your hard work in putting this all together. It is much appreciated. Ron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: About Installing E-sword with wine

Quote Originally Posted by cmckdub;
    It is quite an improvement in setting-out too. I can see the potential for what you are suggesting.
    I've forgotten which front end it is, but one of them is almost on a par with e-Sword 8.0.6,in terms of the feature set it offers.

I'll also point out that in terms of officially released resources, The Sword Project currently offers more than e-Sword.

When it comes to user-created content, e-Sword is the leader of the pack. However, the majority of user created resources for e-Sword can not be legally redistributed.

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by markdean;
    It appears that the owners of various works are afraid of what would happen if e-sword was opened up.
    Not "what would happen", but "what has happened".

More than one publisher has seriously considered filing "criminal conspiracy to violate copyright" against Rick, and the developers of the various utility programs for e-Sword.

As it is, at least two individuals are currently wanted, for criminal copyright distribution, of e-sword resources. Had e-Sword, or the utility programs been FLOSS, the developers would be co-defendants on both criminal copyright, and conspiracy to violate copyright.

Even though it is an unwarranted fear that reflects a lack of understanding that if e-sword was GPL'd, it would only apply to the program code and not content.
    If you know of a way to enforce DRM, such that it can not be coded around, in a FLOSS program, then the content owners would be more willing to tolerate distribution of their material in FLOSS format.

But think of how much better e-Sword would be if it was open to contributions of code from thousands of programmers.
    The "average" FLOSS project has under 50 contributors to the code base. (I saw this statistic in a discussion on the difference between OOo development, and Linux Kernel development.)

Note to self: Do an analysis of Sword Project utility program, and front end code contributions, and compare them to e-sword utility program development.

One option I would love to see would be a command line option where I can pass a verse as an argument, redirect to a file, etc.
    Rick has discussed offering a more comprehensive set of options for using e-Sword from the command line.

Try running
    Code:
    e-sword -b 31102
    Code:
    e-sword -b Gen 1:1
    and watch what happens.

The best choice when a developer doesn't see the value in OSS is to create our own.
    It isn't that Rick doesn't see the value of OSS. Rather, the issue comes down to copyright protection/enforcement of resource content.

So if gnome-sword or whatever can be brought up to at least most of the functionality of e-sword
    This is the kicker for the entire range of Sword Project front ends.

*and* I can import my content (without violation of copyrights, of course) then I'll switch.
    Currently, The Sword Project offers more tools to import content, for more different file formats, than any other Bible Study Program. However, documentation on using those tools is "lacking".

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    David, I am new to Linux and Ubuntu, but I have been running e-Sword since version 6. I have just installed Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 2.0 for 64bit and I am very pleased with it. I want to install e-Sword too, but I would like to get your script. Where is it available? Thank you for your hard work in putting this all together. It is much appreciated. Ron
    This is the link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...8&d=1230908760

Actually it is at the bottom of the first post of this thread, there are attachment section. There are other attachments there for other functions.

DK

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by david_kt View Post
    I have updated the installer script to e-Sword 8.0.6, and add Indonesian and Vietnamese bibles as well.

If you use the installer to install your e-sword before, you could use the new script to upgrade it to new version.

DK
    Hi David,

Is there any possibility please of including the TSK (Treasury of Scripture Knowledge) in your installer. However I try I cannot manually add the TSK after installing eSword (using your installer and instructions), although all the modules I've tried that you include in your installer list work.

Alternately would be simple for me to understand how you are installing the modules in your installer, so see if I can change the manual process I'm using (which I got from the forums) to get the TSK included that way.

I just find the TSK an invaluable resource and it's the only thing that keeps me reverting to the GnomeSword bible.

Many thanks.

Paul

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paeuk View Post
    Hi David,

Is there any possibility please of including the TSK (Treasury of Scripture Knowledge) in your installer. However I try I cannot manually add the TSK after installing eSword (using your installer and instructions), although all the modules I've tried that you include in your installer list work.

Alternately would be simple for me to understand how you are installing the modules in your installer, so see if I can change the manual process I'm using (which I got from the forums) to get the TSK included that way.
    I have updated the script to include TSK, I have tested the script and it works. Please download the script at the first post of this thread and try it and hopefully it also work for you. Here is the link.

Alternatively, to install add ons not in the installer, just download the exe (tsk.exe) file first, and remember the location you downloaded it.

Launch the installer script (e-Sword_installer), and choose manual. It will open a browser for you to locate the exe file (tsk.exe).

DK

Beans
    Distro

Hello...the text in the tabs is too small...

I just downloaded and installed e-sword from the webpage.

Please advise!

Thanks a lot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by razor7 View Post
    Hello...the text in the tabs is too small...

I just downloaded and installed e-sword from the webpage.

Please advise!

Thanks a lot
    Are you using the installer from the first post of this thread? If yes, what you could do is:

Code:
    Click option > bible font > select bigger font size (default is 11)
    You could select other font type as well.
    If you prefer, you could also change dictionary font, commentary font. etc.

To adjust menu font size, you could see the first post of this page.

DK

Beans
    Distro

Oh...sorry...just missed the DLL installation part

Now works OK!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by razor7 View Post
    Oh...sorry...just missed the DLL installation part

Now works OK!
    It is good that it works. I am sure you do it manually, and not using the installer.

That is the very reason I make the installer, to automate everything so that you would not miss any of the steps. The only problem with the installer is when you do not have internet connection, it would practically useless.

DK

Page 32 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast