Thread: E-Sword 10.3 and Ubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

E-Sword 10.3 and Ubuntu 14.04

I have used E-Sword for several years. At about 12.04 I had to use winetricks to install several dll files to get the search function to work, and the greek modules to work (SBLGNT, WH+TVM,IGrNT+).

I recently installed Kubuntu 14.04 with wine 1.6. I used winecfg to load oleaut32.dll. I did not install any of the dll files that were recommended earlier. I installed E-Sword 10.3 by right clicking and using wine windows program loader.

I keep a backup of all my bible and commentary modules. I put them in ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/e-Sword.

E-Sword works great including the search function and those Greek modules.

Those dll files may be required for other functions in E-Sword that I do not use, but installing E-Sword has never been easier.
    No doubt that this will work for all flavors of 14.04.

Your experience may vary.
    Last edited by ubume2; August 11th, 2014 at 01:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: E-Sword 10.3 and Ubuntu 14.04

i've use e-swords for years on linux and find it to be very good.
    you may also want to give xiphos at try it's in the repository.
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 14.04.1 /Xubuntu 14.04.1/Ubuntu-Gnome 14.04/UbuntuMate 14.04

Beans

I am new to using wine though I know e-Sword well. What are the basic steps to the e-Sword install, which dll files are essential and can winetricks fetch them all, or should I get them from MS?

thanks, Roger Levy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Hi,

If you have wine 1.6 installed, from the terminal do
    $ winecfg
    go to libraries and add oleaut32.dll

right click on the e-Sword.exe file and choose install from wine windows program loader.

It should install into /home/user/.wine/drive_c/ProgramFiles (x86)/e-Sword

If you have an older version of wine, or are using 12.04, or Ubuntu CE (which I think is based on 12.04)

start winetricks from the command line and

Edit: install msls31 msxml3 vbrun 6 vcrun6 and wsh57. A couple of them are downloaded from download.com and you would need to place them in /home/user/.cache/winetricks/ .

see
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post11673552
    Last edited by ubume2; September 2nd, 2014 at 02:48 PM.

Beans

the suggestion that fireandsalt mentions over at http://e-sword-users...sers/node/223

Sun, 08/02/2009 - 16:29

mostly works for me. The only thing that i did differently is i did not follow step 14. "Click on the Libraries Tab, and in the “New override for Library” drop down box, fine Riched20, click add, apply, and ok. Close out of Configure Wine." this did not work for me. I also noticed that I had to use Esword version 10.00 and not 10.2, 3 0r 4.

I have NET Bible Premium from bible.org but the verses do not show up. (It works fine in Windows.) however, the NET commentary works fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Beans

E-sword fully works under Ubuntu 14.04 including search functions, graphics viewer and the module downloader. There may still be quirks here and there and one known issue is Indian languages are not rendered properly because E-Sword does not have any configuration options for Sanskrit languages and cannot rely on the capabilities you can get by on a Windows box. The Bible text still can be pasted into an external word processor though. The Code2000 font supposedly solves this kind of problem on a different Bible programme running under Wine but it sadly did not work with E-Sword.

You have to follow these instructions in the right order to get it working properly. If you don't you can end up with with E-sword not displaying any text or the module downloader not adding modules to the download queue and neither allowing you to download any.

1. Requirements: Ubuntu (and other flavours) 14.04, Linux Mint 17 (make sure all the dependencies are installed as Mint sometimes fails to install them), Wine 1.7.31 via PPA (at the time of writing 1.7.32 or later), Windows libraries installed via Winetricks, E-Sword 10.4.0 (at the time of writing), a terminal to run several commands

2. The first step is to install the latest version of Wine if you do not have it already installed:

user@pc:~$ sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    user@pc:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wine1.7

3. Next you have to install some libraries with Winetricks which also registers them. Pasting them into /home/user/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 might not work properly unless you register some of the DLLs.

user@pc:~$ winetricks mfc42
    <-- requires you to click on 'Yes' on a dialogue box that appears after downloading to agree with installing it
    user@pc:~$ winetricks msls31
    user@pc:~$ winetricks msxml3
    <-- automatically opens a URL to download msxml3.msi and a file manager window for you to paste the installer in, execute the command again once the file has been moved into that folder, at the installer wizard click Next and accept the License Agreement and click Next again, you might also have to enter your name and organization if you have not already done so in the Wine configuration applet, click Next , Install and Finish
    user@pc:~$ winetricks vb6run
    <-- requires you to click on 'Yes' on a dialogue box that appears after downloading to agree with installing ituser@pc:~$ winetricks vcrun6
    user@pc:~$ winetricks wsh57
    <-- registers some DLLs

4. Now you must download and install E-Sword.

The following link has the latest version: http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html and download as you would with any other file and make sure you know where it is saved.

Locate the downloaded E-Sword installer for Windows with your file manager. Right-click on it and click on Open With Wine Windows Program Loader. Your system might already be set up to open .exe files with Wine in that case you can just double-click. The E-Sword InstallShield wizard will open. Click next, accept the license agreement, click next, next again at the release notes, choose your installation directory (default one is fine) and click next and finally Install and Finish. You will be redirected to an informational E-Sword confirmation web page that includes a donate button.

Your E-Sword launcher will be on the Desktop on most distros. Xubuntu allows launching E-Sword by searching for it or by browsing in the XFCE menu.
    Last edited by djh-compnet; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:34 PM.

Beans

Your instructions djh-compnet worked! But I have NET Bible Premium from bible.org but the verses do not show up. (It works fine in Windows.) however, the NET commentary works fine. any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by djh-compnet View Post
    E-sword fully works under Ubuntu 14.04 including search functions, graphics viewer and the module downloader. There may still be quirks here and there. . . .

Yes, It all (mostly) works. With 14.04 and wine 1.6 I no longer have to add anything with libraries such as oleaut32.dll or install the dll's through winetricks.

One thing that does not work in module KJV+: hovering mouse pointer over Strong's number does not reveal the Greek word information. I have also tried this with wine 1.7, and this feature does not work.