Thread: Upgrading Webmin can break existing

Beans

Upgrading Webmin can break existing

This is about the 1.21 version of Webmin that's currently in staging.

A few weeks ago, I used the Upgrade Webmin module that's built into Webmin to upgrade it from 1.08 to 1.20. The upgrade went perfectly.

A few days ago, I tried to upgrade Webmin to the 1.21 version currently in the Backports staging. The result was that Webmin was no longer usable - I couldn't log in, and I couldn't uninstall it with apt-get. I ended up restoring my system from a backup.

If you already upgraded Webmin from inside it - be warned! Don't upgrade it a second time from the repositories.

I haven't tried uninstalling my 1.20 Webmin, but I suppose that's probably the best thing to do before upgrading from the repository.

EDIT - I did manage to uninstall webmin by using the uninstall.sh command suggested on the webmin FAQ. This left broken packages from the initial install from the respositories; a few dpkg -r --force-remove attempts didn't fully clear them out. But installing and then removing from Synaptec seems to have cleared everything out nicely.

Thanks.
    Last edited by emendelson; June 9th, 2005 at 09:24 PM.

Beans

Re: Upgrading Webmin can break existing

Quote Originally Posted by emendelson
    This is about the 1.21 version of Webmin that's currently in staging.

A few weeks ago, I used the Upgrade Webmin module that's built into Webmin to upgrade it from 1.08 to 1.20. The upgrade went perfectly.

A few days ago, I tried to upgrade Webmin to the 1.21 version currently in the Backports staging. The result was that Webmin was no longer usable - I couldn't log in, and I couldn't uninstall it with apt-get. I ended up restoring my system from a backup.

If you already upgraded Webmin from inside it - be warned! Don't upgrade it a second time from the repositories.

I haven't tried uninstalling my 1.20 Webmin, but I suppose that's probably the best thing to do before upgrading from the repository.

EDIT - I did manage to uninstall webmin by using the uninstall.sh command suggested on the webmin FAQ. This left broken packages from the initial install from the respositories; a few dpkg -r --force-remove attempts didn't fully clear them out. But installing and then removing from Synaptec seems to have cleared everything out nicely.

Thanks.
    Hello,

I have got the same problem ; but i am not able to find the uninstall.sh script ; could you say me where to find it on the web ?

Thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

This should be normally under /etc/webmin/uninstall.sh. If you don't find it there, you can search for it with either:
    Code:
    sudo updatedb; locate unintall.sh
    or:
    Code:
    sudo find / -name uninstall.sh

I might leave myself, out in the desert's land
    Like the serpent glides from its skin, with gentle moves on floors of sin

Coroner "Serpent Moves"

Beans

I can't understand why ubuntu version of webmin is so old, I'm not able to install any additional modules because they're all available only with the newest version (1.250)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I've written a howto, see here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=120533

I might leave myself, out in the desert's land
    Like the serpent glides from its skin, with gentle moves on floors of sin

Coroner "Serpent Moves"

Beans

Thanks! I've had this same problem though I never touched the backports packages.