Thread: Python help

Beans

Python help

Well, i installed IDLE as i can save my programs with that. Once i have a programmed saved i go under properties and make the file an executable one but when i try to run it nothing happens. Am i doing something wrong? Thanks in advanced.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Python help

Quote Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
    Well, i installed IDLE as i can save my programs with that. Once i have a programmed saved i go under properties and make the file an executable one but when i try to run it nothing happens. Am i doing something wrong? Thanks in advanced.
    I did not understand your problem.

may be you wanted to add #!/usr/bin/python
    or
    you desire a development environment: in this case install Eric

sorry
    msn : mas_dero@hotmail.com; skype: masdero

Beans

Basically, i have my program all layed out. I save it as a .py and make it an executable file. When i open it a dialog box comes up and gives me the options to "run in terminal", "Display", "Cancel", or "Run". I've tried both Run in Terminal and Run and neither seem to work. Am i doing something wrong here?

Beans
    Distro

Basically, i have my program all layed out. I save it as a .py and make it an executable file. When i open it a dialog box comes up and gives me the options to "run in terminal", "Display", "Cancel", or "Run". I've tried both Run in Terminal and Run and neither seem to work. Am i doing something wrong here?
    Code:
    cat prog.py
    #!/usr/bin/python

print "ciao"
    Code:
    chmod +x prog.py

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

You open it in file manager?

To run it like that, you need the shebang line as first line of your script: "#!/usr/python" or wherever your python lives, to tell bash which program should interpret that script.

But you can open your file in IDLE and run it from there too (Run, or F5), even without making it executable. Check "Instant Hacking" and "IDLE toying" links here: http://learnpython.pbwiki.com/HowToStart

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

After you set the permissions run the app in the same term

./prog.py

The dot slash are important to tell the shell where the script is located.

Beans

Alright, thanks guys. I'm pretty new to the world of linux and ubuntu so i'm still learning.

Beans
    Distro

You are welcome