Thread: The Official Mission Statement Thread

Beans

The Official Mission Statement Thread

Ok guys, lets get down exactly what everyone's individual goals are. Here are mine:
    • Spread Ubuntu to more consumers
    • Spread Ubuntu to small/medium businesses
    • Help people understand Linux is NOT just for geeks
    • Fix bug #1

those are my goals for this loco. I really just want to spread Ubuntu. The OS and the concept.

Beans

Mission Statement?

Do we have to call it a "mission statement"? As an engineer, I'm unable to participate in discussions about mission statements. In fact, I have never known the mission statements of any of my employers. I don't even know if some of them had mission statements.

I think it's obvious what we want to do: encourage people to try Ubuntu and support those who do. The real topic of discussion is how to do this.

Beans

Re: The Official Mission Statement Thread

well not everyone in this LoCo has the same goal, I know a lot of people in here are really into like, getting old computers, putting *buntu on them, and giving them to low income families and things like that, my person goals have to do with spreading to home users more than anything else. Getting and idea of everyone's personal goals will give us a better way to reach our group goals. I mean if everyone thinks this is a dumb idea then i guess just ignore my thread eh?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Iamalex View Post
    well not everyone in this LoCo has the same goal, I know a lot of people in here are really into like, getting old computers, putting *buntu on them, and giving them to low income families and things like that, my person goals have to do with spreading to home users more than anything else. Getting and idea of everyone's personal goals will give us a better way to reach our group goals. I mean if everyone thinks this is a dumb idea then i guess just ignore my thread eh?
    No, its definitely not a dumb idea. Why do we exist?

Call it a "Mission Statement" or "Roadmap" or "Agenda" or whatever, we need a purpose.

Here's some links to get started:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamHowto
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamRunning
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoGettingApproved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

True, but I suppose the question (at least mine) is, "Is the PA LoCo team's mission/roadmap/agenda/etc. any different than the general community's?" In my own opinion, there's little reason for us to flesh out something like this here in such broad strokes.

If we want to talk specifics about how to apply the Ubuntu Code of Conduct and etc. in our neck of the woods, that seems like a great way to get some local discussion going. How we can connect in our various cities and regions, how we can bring the online community to our locales, etc.
    Last edited by andrewski; April 6th, 2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: missed a quotation mark
    I love this smiley!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK.... I think that andrewski has this right. Our mission statement/goal/etc. has already been dictated by the Ubuntu Community and Canonical. I think whatever our individual methods for this are we need to discuss and coordinate. Once again the broadstrokes are there... Spread the word about Ubuntu and increase market share.

I believe that our goals are all the same: to increase Ubuntu users. The way we do this vary. The way we do this needs to be discussed, planned, and coordinated.

I want to do this in a united non-confrontation discussion. There will be some bumps I am sure. But we are in this together.
    - Bret
    Pennsylvania LoCo Team Contact
    http://breadthofreality.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It seems that we are all from walks of life that could benefit from open source and Ubuntu. Some of us are working in IT or engineers, some of us are students and others are enthusiasts. Each of us has an audience of users, friends, family and co-workers that can be influenced to try something different, and I/we believe better. The OS market is at a major precipice right now. 64 bit architecture is becoming standard and Microsoft just released Vista. Linux has embraced 64 bit for years where as Microsoft took it as an opportunity to enforce greater control over vendors' drivers and apps. Vista is similar in that it isn't compatible with apps that do not play ball well or drivers for hardware that isn't cutting edge. I think there are a lot of people who will find Ubuntu easier to use than Vista, especially if they bought a 64 bit processor. With the Live CD, we can show people how it will run on their system before they commit to anything. I for one use my work as an opportunity to showcase Linux. When they need a new web server, they budget for a server running Windows and IIS. We save over $700 with Linux and more when you consider the fact that you do not have to purchase additional software such as VirusScan and a patching platform. Why not use free (and better I'd say) software? Just my thoughts. I like the grass roots approach, but let me know if you are thinking something higher than grass roots.

Cheers