Thread: DotA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking DotA

Has anyone here played DotA?

I also wanted to ask if DotA runs on Reign of Chaos or only on Frozen Chaos.

Beans

Re: DotA

Yes and I don't know. But I do know that both run very well in Wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=897

Beans

I'm thinking switching to ubuntu. Right now I am running windows XP but recently I have been using only open source/shareware programs on it (OpenOffice, opera, pidgin). And right now looking at all the games that are possible to play on linux-gamer.net has kind of pushed me to the linux side.

I was wondering if I could run Dota (or any other game for that matter) if I dont actually have a CD of it, but just an image. Do i just burn the image on an ext HD and copy it into the linux OS, then mount it and install, and then run in wine? Does the image have to be for linux to work or can i be for windows? Does the installation take place in wine?

How is wine's performance compared to running on the windows os? Is the framerate considerably slower?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

It runs well for me on a pc with 3 ghz p4, 2 gb ram, geforce 6800. Altough I do own a legal copy of the game, I use a nocd patch, but I am still able to log on to and play on battlenet.

Use the howtos on appdb.winehq.org (link above) for installation instructions.

Beans

Last edited by sunv; December 9th, 2007 at 10:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

please follow this guide to play dota on linux http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45407