Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Former posts don't show my signature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Former posts don't show my signature

Sorry for the delay in answering. ubuntu-geek is out this week on personal business, and I just didn't see the revived thread.

I also apologize that we never got around to answering this question. I am guessing this is being caused by page caching on our local server.

If I look at an old thread that I contributed to, and then change my signature, then reload the thread, it shows my old signature for a period of time, and then eventually it changes to the new one.

If I change my signature and then look at an old thread that I contributed to, which I know has not been viewed in a very long time, my new signature appears immediately.

So, I'm going to say it is a feature, resulting from the page caching that is turned on to help reduce database queries and server loads.

Can you confirm that your signature exists correctly on old threads after a long time?
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro

Um...never mind. I just looked at your oldest post, that I'm sure hasn't been viewed in a long time. Hmm, no signature there at all.

Okay, I'm now going to adjust my guess and say that mine gets updated as an admin because of some special feature in my user permissions that I can't find, but that isn't set the same for you.

When ubuntu-geek is back, I'll ask him and see if he has any other ideas on this.

Ultimately, I think it is a software feature, an expected action, but I can't give a good rationale at the moment. If I were to make something up on the spot, I would say it has something to do with database optimization/pruning of posts older than a certain age, but I'm just pulling that out of the air.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Matthew, thanks for your response. Also, no apology needed, I can appreciate the volume of traffic on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Um...never mind. I just looked at your oldest post, that I'm sure hasn't been viewed in a long time. Hmm, no signature there at all.

Okay, I'm now going to adjust my guess and say that...
    Let me be more precise here, to help you diagnose the issue.

There are two separate cases.

1) A user has previously used a signature when posting, and then changes it.
    - In this case, as far as I have seen, the existing signature is updated correctly. This may require a delay, as you have described ( = the issue of a cache).
    - This has nothing to do with admin status or, as far as I can tell, any other user account specifics (as long as a signature is used).

2) And then there's what we have here. This is a case where a user has previously not used a signature at all, and then adds one.
    - In this case, the user's posts that have been posted during the time when no signature was used do not get the new signature (or, to be more precise, do not get a signature at all). So, the posts that have been posted without a signature remain "unsigned".

- Further, if I understood correctly what ubu-for has posted above, and looking at post #5 (that carries no signature) in the middle of this thread, he has been able to get these "unsigned" posts also when subsequently deactivating his signature, then posting an "unsigned" message, and afterwards reactivating his signature. (I have not tried this.) His post #7 also gives some insight into the issue.

3) Oh, and a third, related, case. I don't know (have not tried) if the showing of signatures in existing messages is disabled if one disables using signatures, i.e. whether the signature is then hidden for all messages. (If not, though, almost the same could, I assume, be achieved by using a blank but activated signature.)

kko1
    Last edited by kko1; February 27th, 2008 at 04:44 PM.
    Please mark your thread solved when it is. Click Thread Tools, then Mark this thread as solved. It's fast and helps others! If appropriate, also post and tell what solution worked for you.

Beans
    Distro

Interesting. I've sent ubuntu-geek a note. When he is back and has some time, I'm sure this will interest him.

We may concentrate more on the overall forum software upgrade that is in the works (to vBulletin 3.7) before we look at this further, to see if this issue even remains once that has occurred.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123