Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy crap: Novell chooses naming scheme for Opensuse but...

Beans

Holy crap: Novell chooses naming scheme for Opensuse but...

They have done something that I am sure will cause contriversy.
    They have chosen to name Opensuse 11.2 Fichte, after Johann Gottlieb Fichte.
    This is disturbing, after warming up a little to opensue in Vbox they have to do something like this, Fichte was a known anti semite and well I am part Jewish.
    My grandparents on my fathers side were Jewish and barely escaped the Nazis.
    If this is true and they go ahead with this I am sure the boycott novell crowd will have a field day.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Re: Holy crap: Novell chooses naming scheme for Opensuse but...

No offense, but that's just what he thought. He was just a German philosopher. Newton was Christian, but weighing something in Newtons doesn't make you Christian, nor does it mean that the people weighing something in Newtons are Christian, for example.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandparents, but I don't really think that they chose him for the reasons that you seem to think. Keep in mind that he was a German Philosopher and not all of his teachings were about anti-semitism. Not to mention, SuSE is a german born distribution.

Note: A good portion of the people in Europe at that time period were known anti-semites.
    Last edited by Grant A.; March 29th, 2009 at 06:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No idea if this is true or not, but if it is that is very unfortunate. Can't imagine why they would want to potentially offend so many people. Could it be fichte as in German for spruce tree, not the person?
    -----

Community Manager @ DigitalOcean
    You're more likely to get answers from me over on AskUbuntu these days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    No offense, but that's just what he thought. He was just a German philosopher. Newton was Christian, but weighing something in Newtons doesn't make you Christian, nor does it mean that the people weighing something in Newtons are Christian, for example.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandparents, but I don't really think that they chose him for the reasons that you seem to think. Keep in mind that he was a German Philosopher and not all of his teachings were about anti-semitism. Not to mention, SuSE is a german born distribution.

Note: A good portion of the people in Europe at that time period were known anti-semites.
    Still there were quite a few things he did write in his early days that were quite anti semitic, sorry but being part jewish that came from a family that barely survived the Nazi's makes me sensitive to anti semitism.
    It might be minor to some of you but for me its quite a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewsomething View Post
    No idea if this is true or not, but if it is that is very unfortunate. Can't imagine why they would want to potentially offend so many people. Could it be fichte as in German for spruce tree, not the person?
    No the naming scheme is after Eurpean Philosophers.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

It's certainly not an ideal choice - but the guy was around in the 18th and 19th century. As wrong as it was, it's hardly a rare thing to hear people from those days being anti-semitic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

part Jewish? Um excuse me? How can you be a part of a religion but not fully?

Anyways, even if he was anti-semitic, so what? I'm against Zionists and Israel. Does that mean that nothing should be named after me or anything like that if I at least make the history books? Not at all.

He was against something. That doesn't mean if something is named after him you just give it up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Since when Semites are a religion?

Beans

Heh. I wouldn't have a problem with it even if they called it "Hitler is God".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    No the naming scheme is after Eurpean Philosophers.
    Then there is nothing to worry about. It's just a coincidence. Had they truly wanted to be anti-semitic, then they wouldn't have chose that particular naming scheme. I mean, it's not like they chose "known anti-semites" for the naming scheme.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

@SunnyRabbiera

My personal opinion, I think people should be careful not being too over-sensitive in such matter.

But that's me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast