Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

A few suggestions:

server side mail rules , configurable via squirrelmail (this requires maildrop i think, i'm still strugling with maildrop on ubuntu) - this is the feature i'm really trying hard to get working.

postfixadmin - really comes in handy when administration is required

mysql change - move from mysql tcp access to the the sock , this is fairly easy to do, and safer.

Question : what are the tables for when setting up squirellmail ?

I dindn't follow you're guide, but it's very good. I followed similar one's, but i guessed you already read them, since the similarities are remarkable

Anyways, great job. If you need help on the proposed addons, talk to me, i can lend you some words and steps to configure.

Beans

Thank you for great howto! I did everything by the howto and everything worked fine until I checked mail.info for the first time. it is full of

localhost postfix/qmgr[9255]: warning: connect to transport smtp: Connection refused

warnings. Any idea how to fix this?

I get connection with telnet localhost 25. Squirrelmail is working (but of course not the sending/recieving thing) so I pretty much think that it is only a postfix problem.
    Last edited by olpe; September 10th, 2005 at 11:19 PM.

Beans

Hello everyone,

I am a nub when it comes to linux or mail servers . I have a question about the mailserver. When you set up the mailserver you can create e-mail adresses for use within your lan. But can other external people also mail to you? Because my pc has a dynamic ip.

thanx in advance

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flurdy
    Going to try and answer a few questions.

Yes, a problem I encountered as well. Hope i remembered to include it in the howto.
    Since the lock file is removed and added etc, amavis needs write access to the parent folder. So /var/run/amavis needs to be owned by virtual:virtual .
    Also check that $daemon_user = 'virtual'; and $daemon_group = 'virtual';
    in the /etc/amavis/amavisd.conf.

I have already done that the problem is when Amavis starts it checks permissions on the directory and automatically changes uid and gid back to amavis:amavis. I am still looking for an answer.

Here is the log entry I keep getting.
    root@scorpion:/home/chris # /etc/init.d/amavis stop
    Stopping amavisd: amavisd-new.
    root@scorpion:/home/chris # /etc/init.d/amavis start
    Starting amavisd: mode of `/var/run/amavis' changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
    Pid_file "/var/run/amavis/amavisd.pid" already exists. Overwriting!
    amavisd-new.

Here is the lock file error.

Sep 17 11:41:54 localhost amavis[9842]: Net::Server: 2005/09/17-11:41:54 Couldn't open lock file "/var/run/amavis/amavisd.lock" [Permission denied]\n at line 239 in file /usr/share/perl5/Net/Server/PreForkSimple.pm

Anyone have an idea what to do from here.

help is appreciated

Beans

Maybe it sounds stupid and nubish but in the howto you say
    Then edit the same in the pop and ssl options, if you are going to use them.
    but I dont find those in courrier folder! Must I create them? What to write inside? Should I just copy & paste from IMAPD file?

I also dont have authmysqlrc file so I just create new one and paste in the content you supplied. Is this correct?

Sorry for my poor English.

Beans

Hi,
    I am following this guide and I skipped to the testing step. When I try to telnet into my machine (from an ssh prompt btw) on port 25, I get a connection refused error. What is wrong? I don't have a firewall on the machine I don't think.

Beans

I set everything up and it seems to be mostly working (I've omitted virus and spam checking for the moment). There seems to be an error in the authentication stage though. In both the mail.log and the sys.log, I get
    Code:
    Sep 22 08:36:36 localhost authdaemond.mysql: authmysql: mysql_select_db(maildb ) error: Incorrect database name 'maildb '
    Is it because IMAP is looking for 'maildb ' instead of 'maildb'? Should I enquote the postfix configuration files that refer to maildb?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

OK, so I just wanna be forwarding my mail to other external accounts like gmail and hotmail. My main concern is that I don't become an open relay.
    I've followed the howto up to the amavisd part and things are working great. Is it safe for me to stop here? Or is there further things that should be done to ensure I'm safe? I've got a firewall in place too.
    I've ran this test http://www.antispam-ufrj.pads.ufrj.br/test-relay.html and all tests came up clean. Is this a good/trustworthy thing?

Can I then assume that my server is just a mail forwarding server safe from open relay?

<EDIT> Typo!

Great howto btw, I've been dying to try it out and in 30 mins, its doing what I want!
    Last edited by Avicus; September 23rd, 2005 at 08:34 PM.

Beans

I've got a strange problem. I'm messing around w/converting my home mail server from Windows (running Mercury) to Linux. Ivar's HOWTO was a great find and it got me up and running with virtual domains in virtually no time.

But then out of nowhere postfix suddenly started to complain that it couldn't connect to mysql -- I'd get persistent "trivial-rewrite" errors. I wiped the machine, reinstalled, got everything running again and then -- BOOM -- same problem. I had changed NOTHING in the various configuration files for postfix/courier/amavis/mysql between the last time things were working and when everything came crashing down.

I suspect (although I'm not 100% sure) that this is coming about because of some package that I installed after the mail server stuff -- I was messing about with webmin and also (high on my list of suspects) trying to set up a firewall. Even the second time, I wasn't as careful as I should have been about checking after each change I made to see how things were working. So I really can't say exactly when things went south.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, if anybody else has experienced similar problems I'd love to know about them.

Thanks,

Seth Green

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by majikstreet
    When I try to telnet into my machine (from an ssh prompt btw) on port 25, I get a connection refused error. What is wrong? I don't have a firewall on the machine I don't think.
    I think I am having the same issue. I can send mail fine if I am on the mail server, using telnet or squirrelmail. But if I try to send mail to the mail server from another machine, it never arrives. When I telnet to port 25 on the mail server (from another machine) I get a connection refused. I am not running a firewall at this point.
    Anyone have any thoughts?
    dm

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast