Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 192

Thread: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Beans
    67
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

    have you thought of submitting your HOWTO to the linux documentation project?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Binary Land, Maryland
    Beans
    632

    Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

    This is by far one of the best guides...great job!
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Beans
    48
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

    does this server read ldap directory?
    ShagzModo
    Reg. linux user #38442
    STOP CORRUPTION IN AFRICA!!!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    1

    Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

    i got everything up and running. my only problem is, when i add users, squirrelmail says that the home directory doesn't exist. but when i add the folder in the /var/spool/mail/virtual directory, squirrelmail gives me an error saying "ERROR : Could not complete request. Query: SELECT "INBOX" Reason Given: Unable to open this mailbox." my default user (the user i always use when logging in to my box) seems to work fine. i don't even remember adding a folder in to the maildir. did courier imap create it automatically? if so, how did this happen and why won't it happen again? thanks in advance for the replies.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    7

    Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

    This is an ecellent guide. However I did encounter a problem with Amavis not creating the lock file with the proper permissions.

    I still have not figured it out without manually setting them and resarting Amavis.

    Anyone have a suggestion?

    Since the lock file resides in /var/run/amavis/amavis.lock which needs to be chown'ed virtual:virtual and is amavis:amavis.

    I have not found a way to change it's behavior without it changing itself back upon reboot.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Beans
    2

    Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

    I also thought this was a great guide, though I do not really need multiple domains or antivirus or spam. I am just trying to set up an intranet webmail/email server on a closed (no internet access) LAN...

    I also have had a lot of problems with it not recognizing a user, even though I created several via phpmyadmin, and I am pretty fluent with it as I deal with osCommerce, phpbb, coppermine, as well as other php scripts.

    You would think there would be a simple way to configure email, as long as it has been around. Photo galleries suprise me with their ease of install and configuration, considering all of the features they have. Why can't email be as simple?

    My main user account, mail as well as my other account, thomas, are not being recognized by the squirrelmail or IMAP, as I configured my outlook on a windows box to log in and access it, tried many username/pw combinations to no use. I tried the debug part of the guide, but maybe my version of ubunu has things in different spots, the first time i try:

    /etc/init.d/courier stop

    it errors out.. and there is no listing for courier in that directory, so wtf? did i screw something up on the install?

    I am only thinking of uninstalling the whole mess and starting over.

    anybody else have a similar prob?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Beans
    63
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

    Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by djtric
    i got everything up and running. my only problem is, when i add users, squirrelmail says that the home directory doesn't exist. but when i add the folder in the /var/spool/mail/virtual directory, squirrelmail gives me an error saying "ERROR : Could not complete request. Query: SELECT "INBOX" Reason Given: Unable to open this mailbox." my default user (the user i always use when logging in to my box) seems to work fine. i don't even remember adding a folder in to the maildir. did courier imap create it automatically? if so, how did this happen and why won't it happen again? thanks in advance for the replies.
    I have the same problem... I tried "maildirmake' and no change. How are the maildirs made? It does not seem to be automatic. Thanks again for the howto.

    -oberon

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Beans
    63
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

    Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by cllsr
    This is an ecellent guide. However I did encounter a problem with Amavis not creating the lock file with the proper permissions.

    I still have not figured it out without manually setting them and resarting Amavis.

    Anyone have a suggestion?

    Since the lock file resides in /var/run/amavis/amavis.lock which needs to be chown'ed virtual:virtual and is amavis:amavis.

    I have not found a way to change it's behavior without it changing itself back upon reboot.
    I am working on it and will post it.


    -oberon
    Last edited by oberon; September 8th, 2005 at 09:27 PM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oslo
    Beans
    121

    Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

    Going to try and answer a few questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad wilkinson
    have you thought of submitting your HOWTO to the linux documentation project?
    Nah, there are many howtos out there which are excellent. This one is a bit Ubuntu specific in some cases.

    Quote Originally Posted by anthonysales
    whenever i try to start postfix... i get this in my mail.info log

    localhost postfix/qmgr[9914]: 199703AC50F: to=<root@localhost.localdomain>, orig_to=<root>, relay=none, delay=55163, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: address resolver failure)

    i haven't added spamassasin,amavisd or clamav yet..i'm just testing my mail server to see if it works.. any suggestions?! hehe..=)

    This still a problem? check that your postfix doesnt think the machine is called localhost.localdomain.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShagzModo
    does this server read ldap directory?
    Postfix does yes, however there is no details of this in this howto.

    Quote Originally Posted by djtric
    i got everything up and running. my only problem is, when i add users, squirrelmail says that the home directory doesn't exist. but when i add the folder in the /var/spool/mail/virtual directory, squirrelmail gives me an error saying "ERROR : Could not complete request. Query: SELECT "INBOX" Reason Given: Unable to open this mailbox." my default user (the user i always use when logging in to my box) seems to work fine. i don't even remember adding a folder in to the maildir. did courier imap create it automatically? if so, how did this happen and why won't it happen again? thanks in advance for the replies.
    Dont create folders in /var/spool/mail/virtual .
    Postfix creates these properly when it receives the first mail intended for that user.

    Quote Originally Posted by cllsr
    This is an ecellent guide. However I did encounter a problem with Amavis not creating the lock file with the proper permissions.

    I still have not figured it out without manually setting them and resarting Amavis.

    Anyone have a suggestion?

    Since the lock file resides in /var/run/amavis/amavis.lock which needs to be chown'ed virtual:virtual and is amavis:amavis.

    I have not found a way to change it's behavior without it changing itself back upon reboot.
    Yes, a problem I encountered as well. Hope i remembered to include it in the howto.
    Since the lock file is removed and added etc, amavis needs write access to the parent folder. So /var/run/amavis needs to be owned by virtual:virtual .
    Also check that $daemon_user = 'virtual'; and $daemon_group = 'virtual';
    in the /etc/amavis/amavisd.conf.
    Cheers,
    Ivar (flurdy.com)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oslo
    Beans
    121

    Thumbs up Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by thomask
    I also thought this was a great guide, though I do not really need multiple domains or antivirus or spam. I am just trying to set up an intranet webmail/email server on a closed (no internet access) LAN...

    I also have had a lot of problems with it not recognizing a user, even though I created several via phpmyadmin, and I am pretty fluent with it as I deal with osCommerce, phpbb, coppermine, as well as other php scripts.

    You would think there would be a simple way to configure email, as long as it has been around. Photo galleries suprise me with their ease of install and configuration, considering all of the features they have. Why can't email be as simple?
    For simple one domain and couple of users, email servers on linux is simple.

    Postfix withouth virtual domains will just use the users on the box as users with the address as username@machinename.

    The default set up works, quickly and easily, however that is not enough for many people so thats why this howto extends this simple setup by adding limtless domains, users, aliases, spam, virus scan etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by thomask
    My main user account, mail as well as my other account, thomas, are not being recognized by the squirrelmail or IMAP, as I configured my outlook on a windows box to log in and access it, tried many username/pw combinations to no use. I tried the debug part of the guide, but maybe my version of ubunu has things in different spots, the first time i try:

    /etc/init.d/courier stop

    it errors out.. and there is no listing for courier in that directory, so wtf? did i screw something up on the install?

    I am only thinking of uninstalling the whole mess and starting over.

    anybody else have a similar prob?

    Ah its nothing is easy
    If you have followed this howto, which may not be needed in your case if you just want a simple server, then check if mail dirs exits in virtual spool folder. next check the sql querries if that is where it goes wrong, etc..

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon
    I have the same problem... I tried "maildirmake' and no change. How are the maildirs made? It does not seem to be automatic. Thanks again for the howto.

    -oberon
    AS mentioned just above, Postfix creates these folders. If they are not created, then your postfix config is wrong. Simple way to check if things are okay.
    Cheers,
    Ivar (flurdy.com)

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •