Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

Hey guys

I'm hoping someone pretty familiar with this can help me out. I followed the guide the best I could, and have been working on it for five hours now, but am left with a little trouble.

Wherever the part was toward the beginning (can't seem to find it now) where you test sending an email CLI, I could do. The MAILTO: blah.com part. I emailed my gmail account fine.

However, when trying to login squirrelmail I get (edit: got, now I'm getting told wrong username and password) the "Connection dropped by IMAP" message, and also when trying the test to connect to IMAP with the CLI test (can't find where I found that, now), I get some sort of 'error, terminating'.

I will try to find the references to these ^^ and will edit them into this post when I find them. I'm sorry I'm just so scatterbrained right now, been at this long time.

I can't figure out how to run /usr/share/squirrelmail/src/configtest.php ...even as root I get permission denied. I tried to open it with FF and that didn't work, tried to make +x, that didn't work.

My syslog, when I try to connect either way, says 1 of 2 things:

If i try to log in with phases@superstickphase.com I get told supplied password doesn't match encrypted password. I've tried combos galore to get them to match.

If I try to log in with just my username, phases, I get told zero rows returned, no password to compare.

I've been all over this, and google, for almost six hours now.. Hope someone can help. Thanks.
    Last edited by Phases; November 16th, 2008 at 04:06 PM.
    Every forum should have a Phases.

Beans

Puh-lease?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

eBox makes it really easy but it doesn't have webmail.

http://ebox-platform.com/

Beans

I only glanced but that seems to be an entire content management system.. I'm just lookin for lightweight email system, and prefer to fix what I've got mostly going..

Thanks for the reply!

Beans

I have spent many a more hour on this.

So far using the test section, I do good. Every part of the test section I pass except at the end it says "try testing from outside server" but doesn't tell how to do that, so I haven't. But, I can send mail to my gmail account, however my state email account won't get it. Is this because I need to have it relayed?

Secondly, when I try to reply to said email, my server logs pop up with "relay access denied".

Third problem, I can't log into squirrelmail. The logs show it pulling my record out of sql, but it says the passwords don't match and I get wrong username/pass from squirrel.

Any ideas where to start? I've been all up and down the testing page, squirrel and postfix's websites..

Thanks..
    Last edited by Phases; November 18th, 2008 at 05:36 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Phases View Post
    I have spent many a more hour on this.

So far using the test section, I do good. Every part of the test section I pass except at the end it says "try testing from outside server" but doesn't tell how to do that, so I haven't. But, I can send mail to my gmail account, however my state email account won't get it. Is this because I need to have it relayed?

Secondly, when I try to reply to said email, my server logs pop up with "relay access denied".

Third problem, I can't log into squirrelmail. The logs show it pulling my record out of sql, but it says the passwords don't match and I get wrong username/pass from squirrel.

Any ideas where to start? I've been all up and down the testing page, squirrel and postfix's websites..

Thanks..
    OK, I got send and receive FINALLY working with gmail accounts. I can receive from my work but not send to my work, I guess residential blocks are blocked for spam precaution.

However, I still can't log into squirrelmail. Any advice appreciated.

Beans

Got mail to work with work account, and yahoo, and everyone else that was blocking it.

Residential IP's are mostly on spamhaus PBL, due to the amount of spam sent out of residential blocks - so I had to relay it.

I first tried through gmail, which worked but then put my gmail account in the from field to the final destination, which isn't what I wanted.

Then I found out after digging deeper that comcast provides a relay (free of charge, without having to upgrade to a business account! Holy whack!) that solves all the problems. I can send and receive (so far) to/from anyone.

Still having trouble with squirrelmail authenticating me, and now getting this error after playing with it a little:

Warning: include_once(DB.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/db_prefs.php on line 40

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening 'DB.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/db_prefs.php on line 40
    ERROR:

Could not include PEAR database functions required for the database backend.
    Is PEAR installed, and is the include path set correctly to find DB.php?
    Please contact your system administrator and report this error.

So. We'll see. If ya have any ideas feel free to post em.
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Phases View Post
    Got mail to work with work account, and yahoo, and everyone else that was blocking it.
    -----snip ----
    Then I found out after digging deeper that comcast provides a relay (free of charge, without having to upgrade to a business account! Holy whack!) that solves all the problems. I can send and receive (so far) to/from anyone.
    --snip-----
    Been watching your posts, sorry I could not help...congrats on getting it working...but I do have a question...

How did you find out Comcast provides a relay? and how can I use it? (e.g.address?)

I also have comcast, but I also have a relay set up at dyndns.org
    (well, what I think is a relay....we shall see).
    Thanks
    John

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by three_jeeps View Post
    Been watching your posts, sorry I could not help...congrats on getting it working...but I do have a question...

How did you find out Comcast provides a relay? and how can I use it? (e.g.address?)

I also have comcast, but I also have a relay set up at dyndns.org
    (well, what I think is a relay....we shall see).
    Thanks
    John
    Hey John,
    Sorry - I shoulda' posted the links here too, but see my last post on this thread, should get ya on your way:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=987371

If you need help hollar. I'm no guru by any means but I've spent a lot of time on this and just helped a friend get through his kinks too so, I'm at least somewhat familiar.

Beans

Arg, this is killin' me.

With the configtest.php for squirrel mail I get:

Code:
    ERROR: Required PHP PEAR DB support is not available. Is PEAR installed and is the include path set correctly to find DB.php? The include path is now: ".:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear".
    I can't find DB.php anywhere with locate, nor where to set that include path. I've got, and reinstalled, php5-pear.. and am all up in it's directory looking for clues..

Ideas?

Edit: nevermind! turns out I needed two more packages that weren't listed. I wish I remembered what they were called, I just did a search for PEAR and dug through the php stuff. I think php-files and php-db.

------------

So I'm past THAT error. Moving on.. Still can't log in. "Unknown user or password incorrect.

mysql.log shows this:

081119 18:50:46 613 Query SELECT id, crypt, "", uid, gid, home, concat(home,'/',maildir), "", name, "" FROM users WHERE id = "phases@superstickphase.com" AND (enabled=1)

my mail.log shows this:

Nov 19 18:52:38 phases78s1 imapd: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Nov 19 18:52:38 phases78s1 authdaemond: received auth request, service=imap, authtype=login
    Nov 19 18:52:38 phases78s1 authdaemond: authmysql: trying this module
    Nov 19 18:52:38 phases78s1 authdaemond: SQL query: SELECT id, crypt, "", uid, gid, home, concat(home,'/',maildir), "", name, "" FROM users WHERE id = "phases@superstickphase.com" AND (enabled=1)
    Nov 19 18:52:38 phases78s1 authdaemond: supplied password '[[my password]]' does not match encrypted password '[[garbly gook]]' (<-- no, they don't match, but i can try the garbly gook and make them match, and still fail)
    Nov 19 18:52:38 phases78s1 authdaemond: authmysql: REJECT - try next module
    Nov 19 18:52:38 phases78s1 authdaemond: FAIL, all modules rejected
    Nov 19 18:52:38 phases78s1 imapd: LOGIN FAILED, user=phases, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Nov 19 18:52:43 phases78s1 imapd: LOGOUT, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], rcvd=53, sent=332
    Last edited by Phases; November 20th, 2008 at 01:59 AM.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast