Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

I am getting ready to set up a server that is going to require a windows environment for a particular software suite. However, we need a mail server, and I'm not particularly wanting to pay for Exchange. Anyone see a problem with running this setup in a VMWare virtual machine running ubuntu hardy heron server edition?

or... even better... i could run the Windows Server in a virtual machine on the Ubuntu server...
    Last edited by Wd2048; July 18th, 2008 at 06:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

Is this guide geared towards setting up a server which can bring down mail from my ISP's POP3 boxes. I need something like this:

ISP'S POP3 SERVER ==> OFFICE POP3 SERVER (UBUNTU) ==> OUTLOOK

Beans

I Need A GUI,I NEED A GUI!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Lightbulb Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by flurdy View Post
    I have rewritten my How to set up a mail server on a GNU / Linux system , which is now based on Ubuntu Hoary.

(Used to be Mandrake, but is now completely rewritten from scratch to use apt-get, The old one was listed on postfix.org)

It is a complete step by step guide to install, configure and run these packages:
    Ubuntu + Postfix + Courier IMAP + MySQL + Amavisd-new + SpamAssassin + ClamAV + SASL + TLS + SquirrelMail

Not sure whether this should be in the server forum, but it is a howto hence the tips forum.
    I must be wrong, but I could not see any other mail server howtos for ubuntu mentioned in the forums.

Feel free to send me comments.

All the installation and configuration sections are complete. Some of the later testing and appendix needs padding out, but as any other document it will forever be in development.
    does this apply to hardy too?

appreciate an updated how-to. thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster_ph View Post
    does this apply to hardy too?

appreciate an updated how-to. thanks!
    The link, How to set up a mail server on a GNU / Linux system, actually points to the 7th edition guide which is aimed at Hardy.

You'd be better off following this thread, though I believe Flurdy has stopped maintaining it. Being a novice I found the guide very heavy going what with the typos and the difficulty in being able to cut and paste from the guide - I ended up following a simpler one.

Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yaztromo View Post
    Is this guide geared towards setting up a server which can bring down mail from my ISP's POP3 boxes. I need something like this:

ISP'S POP3 SERVER ==> OFFICE POP3 SERVER (UBUNTU) ==> OUTLOOK
    I think the tool for this is fetchmail. I am looking for the resolution too.

Beans

i am a it confused on the sectio of the how to guide courier imap. it say to vi /etc/courier/authmysql, i dont have a authmysql file i do have a authmysqlrc file
    i have tried to retrace my steps to see if i left something out but havent been able to find anything. am i suppose to vi /etc/courier/authmysqlrc instead and make the changes.

Beans

Red face Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

Yes, use /etc/courier/authmysqlrc.
    It is a typo by me, that I keep forgetting to change.
    Cheers,
    Ivar (flurdy.com)

Beans

This is a great how-to, but is there some sort of gui for this?

Beans

A thank-you to flurdy for updating this approach based on Hardy Heron!
    I am running Hardy Heron as a basic web server using Apache 2. I am using a service that allows me to create a hostname that points to my dynamic IP, issued by my ISP. In the course of setting up my hostname and domain, I have the option of enabling email routing by specifying my MX hostname as my primary mail relay.
    My question is: will the mail server setup described by flurdy work, as configured, using my email relaying? If I need to change something with the server setup or, with my mail routing, please let me know.

Thanks for your help
    -J

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast