Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Free internet. As in, "Free Beer" AND "Freedom"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Free internet. As in, "Free Beer" AND "Freedom"

Quote Originally Posted by argie View Post
    I had the same idea (well, on the 'hey, is this possible?' level) for some time after I was inspired by a digg post that showed how to make an antenna out of a Wok. I don't know where that post is, but a search for Wok antenna brought this up:
    http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
    You know, it probably wouldn't take much of anything to mass produce wireless Woks for a reasonable price, if you could find a way to make perfect use of them. The upside of the Wok is that it can participate in long range communication. The downside is that, that communication is unidirectional...right?

Beans

I believe the internet will be replaced by something along those lines, most likely not in the next 10-20 years, but for sure in, say, 50. Not so much for technical, but for political and economical reasons.
    There'll be a bunch of people who won't like the idea at all, either for the lack of control it implicates or for the money they'll loose, so a development in that direction would/will be delayed.
    But at least there's hope that whatever restrictions will be laid upon the internet in the future won't remain forever.
    Thank you for sharing the idea.

Beans
    Hidden!

Did somebody say free beer? ...oh yea, the future is uncertain

Beans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_community_network

Perhaps not for as distant a future as I had thought.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

That's a great idea but, at least in the UK, it would not be feasable.
    Where would the gateway between the 'access network' and the intranet be? Who would be willing to pay for a connection capable of supporting that many users? Do you even know just how much that connection would cost???

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by moffatt666 View Post
    Where would the gateway between the 'access network' and the intranet be? Who would be willing to pay for a connection capable of supporting that many users? Do you even know just how much that connection would cost???
    Well the gateways could be everywhere. And keep in mind that the wireless network itself would also be a live network, serving up its own collection of servers with content ready to be directly accessed from other ad-hoc wireless devices.

The end goal would be to completely rebuild the whole internet from scratch using nothing but wireless devices, and a decentralized mesh topology. This is a hypothetical goal, mind you, and isn't actually necessary.

As far as gaining access to the "real" Internet, and "who would pay for it?" Well, why not the government? Or better yet, Google. Rumor has it they're about to take the cellular phone market by surprise with a new network based on fiber optics and wireless frequencies they're in talks with the FCC to bid on later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is very interesting topic and lattley i've been reading some stuff about this, but i sm still lacking a lot of technical knowledge to get into it as much as i would like.

I think this is perfectly possible. And i don't even think you need to have a wirelless device, any conection device would do it if you could speak the same network protocol.
    The whole thing with this kind of stuff is the development it would take. It would need A LOT of people working on it and a huge user base that would ensure good QoS.

Now, if we look at ubuntu and what it achived, we have to be aware that there's a company that put effort ont this project. An alternative mesh network would also need some heavy weight suport like that.

i think right now, effort should be put on stuff like freenet or i2p, it's not exactly the same concept as they work over the internet we know, but i belive right now it's the way to go before we go for a completly distributed self-manteined network.

Beans

Id be interesting to start it as a VPN within current connections then as it grows considering it as an alternate network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by moffatt666 View Post
    It's already being done in the UK. Don't believe it? have a read for yourself
    ... in myself i am nothing exactly no thing i am only a mirror in which others see aspects of themselves and attribute the resulting concepts to me but i am also an other to my self

Beans
    Distro

It shouldn't need to me mentioned in here, but this is one of the enemies:

Someone at techguy.org once told me that China would be the first place in the world to achieve the first widespread "Darknet" as is being discussed in this thread. He never explained why. I was thinking about this earlier, a few nights ago, and had a bit of revelation as to why this might be.

China is notorious for internet censorship. It is also notorious for having a high population density. Now, I'm not from China, nor do I know anyone who is from there originally, but I do know that finding ways around internet censorship in China is something that has been going on since the Internet first reached that country. With the same sort of drive to find weaknesses in systems that modern hackers from the states have, so do some of the Chinese. I think of it a natural reaction, a human reaction, to the forced condition of living in a society that bids it to be illegal to read about your own countries history, or to be banned from information which other citizens of different countries are free to access with no punishment attached. Again, I'm not from China, nor to I know what it's like to live in such a society that has so much control over access to information. But I think it's a natural human impulse to resist such controls.
    Last edited by diablo75; September 29th, 2007 at 02:03 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast