Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Fliers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ubuntu Fliers

Hey guys!

I have moved the Ubuntu fliers discussion to the forums, so that people's inboxes wont get flooded.

Anyways, the current state of the project is that the flier is in the works, and there has been a file change. More importantly, we will need a volunteer to test this project's effectiveness. We will need one ore more people to test out the ubuntu box idea for a week. I will be unable to participate, because I live on a street corner where it is near impossible to stop.

For those of you who don't know what this project is, I'll explain it in a nutshell:

Basically, this project is just one of the many supplementary ways of spreading Ubuntu to the general population, while possibly being one of the most effective ways (we'll see ). The Ubuntu box will consist of a box, like the kind that home ads are placed in when your selling a house, with fliers (with CD's attached) placed inside. The stand is then placed on a street corner, out in front of your home, or any other place that it is convenient for people to stop and grab a copy.

We are also looking for input on the flier so we can get it to be as user-friendly as possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Ubuntu Fliers

A couple of things. First, I think there need to be several fliers of different colors. I don't think white will attract attention. I'm not suggesting we use orange and brown from the Human theme, but some different colors.

I'm not sure we should use a stand. Its almost asking to get stolen or kicked down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It might be well received in Homepark just off of Georgia Techs campus. I'd be willing to put up something on McMillan St. next to my house. I'd just need to order some Cds. Let me know if you want me to try and work something up.
    2GHz AMD 939, 256MB GeForce 7600GT, 1GB DDR PC 2700 RAM, Feisty Fawn
    1.76GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel 950 GMA, 1GB DDR2 PC2 5300 RAM, Fiesty Fawn
    Registered Linux User #437675 | Registered Ubuntu User #10829

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

kevin, that would be awesome! Maybe put some around the Tech campus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Yeah, no problem. Like I said, it'd just be the length of time to receive the CDs and print out the fliers.

I could probably put a stand up in the Student Center and the Library. I'd probably have to talk to the SGA or something about it but I'll have some time on Thursday so I'll stop in at their office.

At the very least I will be able to set some up in HomePark.
    2GHz AMD 939, 256MB GeForce 7600GT, 1GB DDR PC 2700 RAM, Feisty Fawn
    1.76GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel 950 GMA, 1GB DDR2 PC2 5300 RAM, Fiesty Fawn
    Registered Linux User #437675 | Registered Ubuntu User #10829

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

@ BoredandBlogging: I was actually thinking of using the same kind of stand that is used for placing home ad's in, you know, like in front of someone's house that is for sale. The kind that is like a rectangular box.

I do not believe a stand would work, like you were saying, it would get stolen quick, especially here near Atlanta. I believe if we use a home ad box, it wont get stolen, and it also will attract attention. It's also the perfect size - the fliers would fit perfectly inside it.

People will see that it is free, and says "take one", so that anyone who wants to steal one will think that it is actually not worth stealing. Besides, who wants to steal a home ad box anyways? I hope this clarifies what I was attempting to create.

As for ads of different colors, (thanks for bringing it up!), OpenOffice.org has this spiffy feature of allowing backgrounds on their documents that are not just solid colors. Since the image that I pasted into the flier is transparent around the letters and logo, I can add say, the Edgy desktop background to the document, to make it more Ubuntu-ish.

@ Kevin: That would be GREAT! The fliers are nearing completion. I will upload an improved version tonight. Thanks for volunteering!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Alright folks, I have the new version of the flier out and ready for your review. This should be much closer to what we are looking for.

You can find it at: wiki.ubuntu.com/GeorgiaUSTeam/Marketing

There's a link at the bottom of the page. (thanks nick!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by JReagan1990 View Post
    Alright folks, I have the new version of the flier out and ready for your review. This should be much closer to what we are looking for.

You can find it at: wiki.ubuntu.com/GeorgiaUSTeam/Marketing

There's a link at the bottom of the page. (thanks nick!)
    Hey guys, I know I am not a member of your team, but just wanted to wish you luck with this.

Can I make a suggestion? I think you should cut down the text on your flier and be more to the point. Many people do not even know what Linux is and won't have heard of the applications you mention. Perhaps just mention that Ubuntu can offer a better computer experience and then let them know about using the Live CD. Be sure to mention that they don't have to install anything and can try it with no risk.

Anyway, feel free to ignore me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for looking over the document, swab.

I needed someone to come along and tell me what they see needs to be changed. I will take a look at the document, maybe print it out, and see what I can do with it.

Also, I have uploaded some more updated files. I have added a .pdf file so that we can print it out at a fed-ex kinko's, just in case they do not support .odf files. Anyways, take a look at the pdf and tell me what you think.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ah, the PDF looks great with the background!

My only concern is that the logo may be too near the top of the page to print on most printers. I don't know anything about kinkos, so perhaps that's not an issue.

I would also suggest that you could improve the formatting by justifying the text. Perhaps you could put the paragraph at the bottom in a frame so that you don't need to format it with carriage returns. Does that make sense?

Anway, like I said it is looking good. Your team seems to be doing some good work.

How does one go about setting up a LoCo team?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast