Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Fliers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu Fliers

I am not sure how it will look, either. I am going to print out a page, when it is finished, so that I can really see what it looks like on paper.

dang those freedom toasters are cool...
    Last edited by JReagan1990; April 5th, 2007 at 12:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey folks! Thought I'd just let y'all know that shipit will be shipping free 7.04 CD's. We'll be able to put them in w/ the fliers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This is excellent news!

Beans

One other change I would suggest would be to change "Ubuntu dispels the myth that Linux is outdated and hard to use for the average joe." to something like "Ubuntu dispels the myth that good software is not free and easy to use."
    Basically, just remove any negative connotations regarding Ubuntu, and emphasize the positive points.

I live in the Buford area, and work in Norcross. I would be happy to help spread the word/fliers/disks anywhere I could.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by jhenager; April 5th, 2007 at 02:03 PM. Reason: formatting
    Google is your friend...Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 64 bit Foxconn WinFast 761GXK8MC-S AMD 64 3200+ 1 GB DDR2, nVidia 8500GT
    Production platform - Intrepid 64 bit 8.10 ASRock ALiveNF6P Phenom 9600 2GB DDR2 GeForce6x and Beryl/Compiz/Desktop Effects

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for looking at the fliers! I will change that one line to make it sound better. Also, thanks for wanting to post some fliers & CD's. In the Buford area, would you say that you live in a somewhat "suburb-ish" area of town? I was thinking that it would be good to see how it works out in areas that are residential, not just in the city. Thanks for wanting to help out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Met with the guys at LUG@GT last night. I got some good information on how to go about getting permission to place the flier boxes.

It was of a general consensus that it was not worth putting out 6.06 CDs as Feisty and even Edgy had made great strides in Out of the Box Functionality. This of course meant that we would have to Burn our own CDs (although 7.04 Ship-Its is very good news) for the fliers. I would prefer to do Edgy CDs as there is more support for it currently, but the Feisty Ship-Its would probably work fine.

Another thought brought up (in the face of having to Burn CDs ourselves) was that the Flier and CD be made separate with the Flier pointing people towards downloading the iso themselves and only taking a CD if they felt they would not be able to burn a disk.

This would be OK for the Tech locations because we are a mirror for Ubuntu and the on campus downstream is ri-dic-u-lous. There should be an equal CD:Flier ratio elsewhere though.

Another problem with starting this initiative now is that with Ship-It taking a while to arrive, the semester will be more or less over at the time of the deployment. It may be worth our while to wait until Fall semester to get enough CDs of Feisty. This wait will also give Feisty time to be fully supported. As an added bonus the Fall semester will allow us to get in early with the Freshman class.

An option suggested by the guys at LUG@GT was to put out these boxes during the FASET (orientation) sessions over the summer. There are 5 of these (I think) and will expose not only the students but the parents as well. There will also be students on campus for the Summer Semester.

The only problem I have with delaying is that I am moving back to MD mid-June so I will have to hand the reigns over to another person.
    2GHz AMD 939, 256MB GeForce 7600GT, 1GB DDR PC 2700 RAM, Feisty Fawn
    1.76GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel 950 GMA, 1GB DDR2 PC2 5300 RAM, Fiesty Fawn
    Registered Linux User #437675 | Registered Ubuntu User #10829

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

kevinf311, thanks for making the LUG meeting.

I think the point about school being out soon is valid. Most kids are going to be looking forward to going home, so it might not be worth it.

But summer session starts early mid-May. Even though there will not be enough students, it could be an opportunity for us to do a trial run. Plus maybe we could target putting them around the dorms since only a couple of dorms will be used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the info. I think that feisty would be good to include w/ the fliers, but for teck, like you said, it might be good to get them to download a cd. I'm glad someone brought up the idea of putting the fliers in college campuses.

As for areas outside places like Atlanta, in the suburbs, CD's and fliers might have to go together, since people may not want to go home and download a 700mb file. I also am trying to find someone to start placing the boxes outside of the city. Since there is also a large population of people who live outside of the city (about 1/2), there is a lot of opportunity to get Ubuntu out.

Waiting until fall is not necessarily bad, although I planned to get these boxes out earlier. At least then we will have the opportunity to bring the latest-and-greatest to people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I think we should do this as soon as possible, no need to rush it out the door, but no need to wait either. If we screw up a bit, thats ok, we'll learn and do better the next time.

The big thing is Feisty. We should probably wait a couple of weeks to make sure everything is ok and then start burning CDs (we'll order from shipit as well).

So, maybe we can start putting these out by the end of the month? What do you guys think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Sounds good. I'll finish the flier tonight so that we can have it ready for the first deployment.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast