Thread: Vim as an IDE, help please.

Beans
    Hidden!

Vim as an IDE, help please.

I bought an old laptop to amuse myself, and eclipse is just too memory intensive for it. I used to use vi a long time ago so I figured I'll try vim as an IDE... but now I'm having trouble setting up the command completion in vim.

I apt-got the latest vim-full, and I compiled exuberant-ctags 5.6 from their site (apparently the version in the repo's is one that needs a patch). Then I added this to my vimrc
    Code:
    filetype plugin indent on
    set tags+=~/.vim/systags
    and ran the ctags command
    Code:
    ctags -R -f ~/.vim/systags /usr/include/qt3/
    Then in a hello world program I declare
    Code:
    int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
            QApplication app(argc, argv);
            app.
    So when I hit CTRL X CTRL O after app it should give me a list of functions in QApplication, right? All it tells me is that Omni "pattern not found".

If I type :tag <tab> it cycles me through thousands of random words (ditto CTRL X CTRL ] . I thought I followed the documentation to a T (vimdocs.sourceforge.net)... Can anybody tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong?
    It's all about people

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Vim as an IDE, help please.

I just began trying out Vim, but Ctrl X Ctrl P is what I use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

There is currently no built in omni-completion (vims term for the kind of completion you are after) for C++. There is built in support for plain C and the other languages listed by using :help compl-omni-filetypes

Have a look at the omnicppcomplete script on vim.org (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1520), which adds this functionality for C++. If I remember correctly the help file even uses an example of generating and using tags for Qt. I found it reasonable after a quick play a while ago, though I couldn't manage to create and/or use tags for the standard library.

FYI to WiseElben, I'm pretty sure Ctrl-X Ctrl-P is the same as just Ctrl-P. This function is for general purpose word completion and does not restrict available results based on context. e.g. doing Ctrl-P after typing myStruct-> in a C program file will not restrict the results offered to only members of the myStruct structure. It's still damn useful though .
    Last edited by Keffin; April 5th, 2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Fixed misplaced url tag

Beans
    Hidden!

SWEET
    It worked. The link you posted has an extra ")" so at first it doesn't find it. then I copied the files of the script into ~/.vim/ and followed the instructinos in the doc file (adding 2 lines to .vimrc bascly) and BANG! it worked.

THANKS!
    Last edited by Hendrixski; April 5th, 2007 at 03:06 AM.
    It's all about people

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey, when I hosed my computer recently, I tried re-installing and I had some problems getting this all set up, when I started to edit a file and tried to run omnicomplete I'd get an error
    Code:
    "E713: Cannot use empty key for Dictionary"
    turns out this is a known bug. http://www.mail-archive.com/vim@vim.org/msg13302.html
    Basically, just save the file once before onmicompleting stuff on it.
    It's all about people