Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me make a free 'buntu emag...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Help me make a free 'buntu emag...

I think that it would be a good idea to have a section for new users, which covers some of the basics of Ubuntu etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    Yeah I looked up Latex... in a few words ; screw that.

I managed to print out some documentation on Scribus so i'll give that a read over and hopefully I can pick that up. I wasn't a total whizz with InDesign but know enough to produce good layouts.
    I was going to suggest Scribus, I think it's quite nice.
    But you are already on it I see.

I liked the old Pagemaker and I also liked Indesign.
    But Adobe is trying to tie in too much with only other Adobe products.
    Kind of like Microsoft, and I don't like that one bit, so I try not to use Adobe products anymore.

If you don't know it already, you might want to try Inkscape for illustrations or Xara Xtreme.

I really like the idea of an Ubuntu magazine, I just read the one for PC-Linux, the idea is really nice, good info in a nice format. Nice for a pleasent relaxing read and to stay informed.

Maybe I'll even write an article for it, could be fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloX View Post
    I was going to suggest Scribus, I think it's quite nice.
    But you are already on it I see.

Maybe I'll even write an article for it, could be fun.
    Having read through the Scribus documentation I think i'll give it a shot. It'll take me a little while to get used to where the options are but most of the things I used in InDesign are in Scribus (somewhere).

BuffaloX : Yes, please do write an article or ten

Everyone seems to want a 'buntu magazine but very few so far are actually willing to write... Even beginners can write SOMEthing! Even just an article on how you found Linux, what made you dump Windows that kinda thing... it's always interesting to read how someone moved from The Dark Side...
    Ronnie
    Editor, Full Circle - The FREE Independent Magazine for the Ubuntu Community
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

What a great ideia!!

Although my english isn't perfect i can give it a shot (or two). I'm a Linux noob so, the only things i can write about are my wrong stereotypes prior to actually using ubuntu/linux and why i left windows and some more "propaganda-type-article" lol will this kind of thing be of your interest?

Again, great initiative! keep it up!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by el mariachi View Post
    What a great ideia!!

Although my english isn't perfect i can give it a shot (or two). I'm a Linux noob so, the only things i can write about are my wrong stereotypes prior to actually using ubuntu/linux and why i left windows and some more "propaganda-type-article" lol will this kind of thing be of your interest?

Again, great initiative! keep it up!
    Absolutely!

If anyone is not a native speaker then let me know when you submit your article and i'll proof read it for you, and i'll let you know of any corrections needed before adding it. Could even be useful for people who are trying to improve their English skills! (although i'm no English teacher )

Another magazine feature could be 'My Desktop' where people send in screens of their desktop and explain how they got that desktop; what fonts, images, widgets or whatever did you need to install to get such an impressive desktop...?

I'll try and get a logo or something made up over the weekend for people give a yay or nay.

Once I get a logo made up, i'll try and get a few pages made up in Scribus and hopefully a PDF file for people to download, look over and yay/nay the layout...

Come on people... hands up, who else wants to help out??
    Last edited by ronniet; March 30th, 2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: had another idea
    Ronnie
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thanks ronniet. Although not an English teacher one can always learn from a native speaker!

I'm eager to see that logo and, of course, the layout! Are you thinking about making it printable or just for online viewing? I could use it to "linuxize" some of my windows-fan friends hehe

Beans
    Hidden!

I'd be willing to write at least 1 article. It's an article on elinks that I wrote for my blog. I will, of course, expand it to be longer and such.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by el mariachi View Post
    Thanks ronniet. Although not an English teacher one can always learn from a native speaker!

I'm eager to see that logo and, of course, the layout! Are you thinking about making it printable or just for online viewing? I could use it to "linuxize" some of my windows-fan friends hehe
    It'd be a PDF file that you can download and read offline, or print out to read later if you wish
    Ronnie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    I'd be willing to write at least 1 article. It's an article on elinks that I wrote for my blog. I will, of course, expand it to be longer and such.
    Only one article? Why only one...??

Surely you could squeeze out another few... hmmmm???

Oh go on...
    Ronnie

Beans
    Hidden!

Well I say one because it's already written, although I would expand it quite a bit. I just say that because I don't want to commit to doing it monthly. That doesn't mean I won't, it just means I don't want the commitment.

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast