Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: Howto: install Windows in Ubuntu Hoary for free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Howto: install Windows in Ubuntu Hoary for free

would that work for 98 as well? and where does it go in the command. I am using the command:

$qemu -boot d -cdrom /home/bassclarinetl2/New_Compilation.iso -hda /home/bassclarinetl2/Qemu/hd.img
    Last edited by wwitthoff1; April 12th, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
    -No one instrument is more important than the other. All are needed for the band to play.
    Registered Linux User #414385 | Registered Ubuntu User 3337

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

found answer to previous post. tried win2k hack but no dice. same error:

"Cannot create a temporary directory. This may be caused by too many files in the root directory"

any ideas?

BTW The actuall "Pressed" install CD is not bootable and came with a floppy disk. I created a bootable CD with the contents of the Pressed cd on it.
    Last edited by wwitthoff1; April 12th, 2006 at 10:18 PM.
    -No one instrument is more important than the other. All are needed for the band to play.
    Registered Linux User #414385 | Registered Ubuntu User 3337

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Last edited by monicams; April 27th, 2006 at 09:26 PM.

Beans

Im really new to Linux/Ubuntu... Every single tutorial I come across in reguards to Linux, you people start gloating in knowledge and failing to break things down, and explaining things to make them more simple for us noobs.... LINUX TUTORIALS ARE PUTTING A BAD TASTE IN MY MOUTH.... In other words, you need tutorials for your tutorials.

Tried to run a simple resize for formatting to dual boot the Hard Drive with Win. and Ubuntu.
    Its always nice when your thinkpad freezes during this.

I really want to sway from the big overtaker, but finding it to be very difficult to learn your O.S. Ive had to restrain myself from launching my computer through the wall in the past with UBUNTU....
    Last edited by Doctor DEA; September 15th, 2006 at 07:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Angry Re: Howto: install Windows in Ubuntu Hoary for free

Don't put all nerds in the same basket, DEA. Some of us do know how to talk human tongues. And the ones who talk gibberish, they might sound holier-than-thou (as a rule of thumb, the more evangelical and holier they sound, the more recent the convert) but they probably really do want to help you*.

And, if you've ever had to debug an error message like this one from Outlook:
    51 messages couldn’t be retrieved from the server. This usually happens when the connection to the server is lost due to network problems. Contact your administrator. Download error 0×80040403.
    which translates from MCSESpeke into:
    51 messages couldn't be downloaded because of a filesystem limitation in FAT32 (dude, you have a 2GB mailbox). But ... saying so would be bad marketing, so here's a red herring and a secret hexidecimal clue to spend your day chasing.
    you'll know that while O.S.S geeks sometimes talk nonsense with the best of intentions, the commercial geeks sometimes get paid to write stuff that is flat-out deliberately confusing

http://glo.dyndns.org/glob/2006/08/30/0x80040403-argh/

So ... you say your ThinkPad freezes during Ubuntu install?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/.../t-222077.html

This thread seems to suggest that the gPartEd Live CD does the trick (resizing an XP - NTFS partition) when the Ubuntu Live CD doesn't.

If this works for you, you might want to a bug to LaunchPad saying "Live CD doesn't correctly resize NTFS but gPartEd does" and give the full details of what did and didn't work, including your laptop specs - that might help someone fix the bug that's tripping you up.

Good luck!

* (OK, Some users from all camps are just idiots. No OS can protect against its users being fools. Can't be helped.)

Beans

Ok,

I was pretty aggrevated when I wrote that. Thank you for responding in kindness.

IBM ThinkPad R51 Model 1836: Intel(R)Pentium(R)M
    Processor 1.70GHz 1.70Ghz,
    768MB of RAM HardDrive 55.89GB
    81% free space.

Goal Has Changed To: To get Suse 10.1 with gnome + XGL to run along with current OS. Or Ubuntu 5.10 with XGL.
    Why: So I can utilize the tools I know to help further my knowledge into linux without the hassel of dual booting. And because it's cool as hell!

Current Status: VMware Workstation installed on current OS with 20GB allocated for SUSE.

Question: Am I going about this the correct way, or should it be vise versa with my base OS. In other words, should I make Linux my core OS to run VMware Workstation on? And then install "The Others" OS onto VMware? I would have no problem with doing this, but fear that alot of drivers for my thinkpad will be lost.

Thanks for your help, this is what ill be doing for the remainder of my night until the morning...
    Last edited by Doctor DEA; September 16th, 2006 at 01:33 AM.

Beans

Qemu and VirtualBox

A very good free and opensource alternative to using qemu is VirtualBox.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

I've tried it and now I'm running WinXP flawlessly inside linux, with native emulation speed.
    Cheers.

Beans

Ok this is my goal... I already have Ubuntu installed but I need to install windows XP too, then I don't want to delete my Ubuntu. I want to have both Ubuntu and windows. Can anybody tell me how to do it?

Thanks everybody.

Beans

hey, the easiest way to achieve this is by formatting the computer to have an NTFS partition and install windows there first, then install ubuntu onto another empty partition and have its bootloader allow you to boot to both OSes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hello.
    i'm having trouble with this step
    $ gedit configure
    where is this configure file located? I tried editing the configure file in the extracted qemu directory, but it has no line that says "kernel_path=..."

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849