Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: install Windows in Ubuntu Hoary for free

Beans

Re: Howto: install Windows in Ubuntu Hoary for free

When I first tried to compile it, I receive an error about 'GENERAL_REG', which can be found here.

I fixed it by installing gcc-3.3 (3.4 could be fine), and editing the configure script as follows:
    Code:
    cc="gcc-3.3"
    host_cc="gcc-3-3"
    It suddently worked. Apparently it won't compile on GCC4.

Thank you for the HOWTO, I have read it and it seems pretty accurate. Thanks!

Beans

Okay, compilation is done, installation is completed. However when I run qemu I have this error:
    Code:
    qemu: could not open hard disk image 'hd.img'
    The command I ran was: qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda hd.img -user-net

Yes I created the disk image, and I'm in it's directory. I have to mention I'm installing QEMU on a free FAT32 partition newly created (it is totally empty).

Thanks!

[EDIT]

Okay, I figured out that FAT32 file system cannot handle large files.. and obviously 4 GB was a large file. That's why it didn't create the .img at first. I reformated the partition at ext2, and now it works.
    Last edited by oxEz; October 8th, 2005 at 02:01 AM.

Beans

Hallo, guys.
    I have at last win2k running with Qemu.
    When installing windows 2000, the correct option is -win2k-hack.
    It is mentioned in the qemu man.
    Win2k runs a bit slower than I expected, but I like it even this way.
    Thank you, Lunde for the guide, and geearf and Zenbob96 for your advices.
    Great community.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AgenT
    One thing you may want to add. Instead of using "make install", you could use checkinstall (apt-get install checkinstall or use Synaptic). checkinstall is the best way to install compiled programs because it will make and install deb's instead of just installing the program! This means that you will have QEMU installed as if it were installed via apt-get or Synaptic! Neat stuff! To remove all you would have to do is apt-get remove qemu or removie via Synaptic. That is, everything would be done the same way as if you were to install a deb.

Quick rundown for any source code package using configure:
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    checkinstall
    In other words, just replace the step "make install" with "checkinstall". That's it!

WARNING: make sure you are not running anything that touches your apt database. This means that you should not have Synaptic open or have apt-get running while using checkinstall. This will screw up checkinstall because it will be unable to install the deb files that it makes since the resources will be used by apt-get/Synaptic.

Awsome post, I am going to go try it!! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Kudos for a great howto!

Before I try installing Qemu myself I have some (probably silly) question to ask.

How much hardware can you access from within the guest OS (would be Windows 2000 in my case)? Can you for instance communicate with USB peripherals?

I have a Palm m505 PDA and I would be really nice if I could sync my PDA with my Palm Desktop manager (in Windows 2000 over Qemu over Ubuntu).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael
    How much hardware can you access from within the guest OS (would be Windows 2000 in my case)? Can you for instance communicate with USB peripherals?
    Could someone please answer? I want to use qemu->windows to transfer files to my netMD...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

im using vmware 5 and ive set it up correctly according to the directions on their website, when i try to boot grub gives me error 17 anyone know how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael
    Kudos for a great howto!

Before I try installing Qemu myself I have some (probably silly) question to ask.

I have a Palm m505 PDA and I would be really nice if I could sync my PDA with my Palm Desktop manager (in Windows 2000 over Qemu over Ubuntu).
    I figured I'd answer my own inquiries in the unlikely case that anyone cares.

No, you can't use USB in a Qemu guest OS. Maybe in the future...

However, if you have a PDA with a network sync function like I have you can still flawlessly sync between your PDA and PDA desktop software in the Qemu guest OS.

After a day of investigating, I arranged it like this:

On the Palm m505:
    1) In the main menu choose "HotSync" > "Options" > "LANSync Prefs" > "LANSync".
    2) Open "HotSync" > "options" > "Primary PC Setup" and enter as "Primary PC Name" the same name you use in Windows on Qemu and enter as "Primary PC Address" 10.0.2.15 and enter as "Subnet Mask" 255.255.255.0.

In Ubuntu
    1)sudo apt-get install pilot-link
    2)gedit /path/to/where-ever/you/want/your/shell/script.sh
    3)Enter this:
    #!/bin/sh
    sudo iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -d 10.0.2.15 -j DNAT --to-destination 127.0.0.1
    sleep 2s
    sudo pi-nredir -p /dev/ttyUSB1
    sleep 40s
    sudo iptables -t nat -D OUTPUT -d 10.0.2.15 -j DNAT --to-destination 127.0.0.1
    #iptables are being (ab)used because after every sync the Palm resets the IP address
    #it uses to the IP of the of the OS in which Palm Desktop runs, which in this case is the
    #Qemu guest OS, which more or less needs to have 10.0.2.15 as its IP address.
    4)chmod 755 /path/to/where-ever/you/want/your/shell/script.sh
    5)sudo gedit /etc/udev/udev.rules
    6)Change the line:
    BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SYSFS{product}=="Palm Handheld*", \
    SYMLINK+="pilot"
    To:
    BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="ttyUSB1", SYSFS{product}=="Palm Handheld*", \
    SYMLINK+="pilot", RUN="/path/to/where-ever/you/want/your/shell/script.sh"
    7)Run Qemu with the options "-user-net" and "-redir tcp:14238::14238".

In Windows on Qemu:
    1)Open "Palm Desktop" and "HotSync Manager".
    2)Right-click the HotSync Manager icon in the systray and check (only) "Network".
    3)Right-click the HotSync Manager icon in the systray and click "Setup" and set the correct user if necessary and set "Subnet Mask" to 255.255.255.0.

Syncing with the Palm Desktop should now happen automagically whenever you press the HotSync button on the Palm cradle.
    Last edited by Azrael; October 17th, 2005 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Because I need to fight for my right to party.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by geearf
    Hello,

I am writing a mini OS, and I use bochs a lot to try it, but I cannot run it on Qemu, it tells me there is no bootable media, where my image is one of a floppy that works fine on bochs and on real hardware.

I'd like to try it on Qemu, to see if it's faster.

Thanks.
    still wondering if anyone know anything about that

Beans

if "make" show the follow error : "(...)/qemu-0.7.2/target-i386/ops_sse.h:574:
    confused by earlier errors, bailing out" then probally you use a gcc4.
    Please this form :
    ./configure --cc=gcc-3.4
    make
    (continue the article)

Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast