Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: install Windows in Ubuntu Hoary for free

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Howto: install Windows in Ubuntu Hoary for free

I'm wondering if anyone else has managed to do this from a "recovery" or "restore" CD, like the ones that often come with pre-built computers. I'm trying to use my laptop's recovery CD with this, but I get a little error...

Everything loads fine, the recovery agent (by PCAngel) pops up, does a few things, but suddenly tells me to "Please Insert System Restore DVD #1 now." Well... it is in. Any ideas?

It could be that this is the result of check to see if the computer it is being used on is the correct one (it may think it's not because the disk size appears much smaller), but I'd hope it would give a more informative message.
    Want an invite to Gmail? Email or PM me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by traherom
    I'm wondering if anyone else has managed to do this from a "recovery" or "restore" CD, like the ones that often come with pre-built computers. I'm trying to use my laptop's recovery CD with this, but I get a little error...

Everything loads fine, the recovery agent (by PCAngel) pops up, does a few things, but suddenly tells me to "Please Insert System Restore DVD #1 now." Well... it is in. Any ideas?

It could be that this is the result of check to see if the computer it is being used on is the correct one (it may think it's not because the disk size appears much smaller), but I'd hope it would give a more informative message.
    I did it with a HP recovery CD form a Laptop, worked fine. But, the problem is that if your recovery CD expects to find spesific hardware. Qemu emulates the hardware so it's nothing like the original hardware even tho it's the same laptop. The disk is now an image in a folder, the screen card is an emulated Cirrus Logic, the Sound is an emulated SB16, Network is viritual etc..

I suggest, if you are able to boot Normal or in Safe mode, to remove PC angel and all the software that came with your recovery CD. If not, at which stange of the installation does it stop?
    Fredrik Lunde | Vergic AB
    www.vergic.com

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Lunde
    I suggest, if you are able to boot Normal or in Safe mode, to remove PC angel and all the software that came with your recovery CD. If not, at which stange of the installation does it stop?
    It doesn't even begin to install files. It goes through the pre-recovery steps, but as soon as it gets to the step where it actually copies stuff, it tells me to insert the DVD...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

It doesn't even begin to install files. It goes through the pre-recovery steps, but as soon as it gets to the step where it actually copies stuff, it tells me to insert the DVD...
    Thats a problem with the recovery CD's.. if you have enought disk space, there's an option that might work. Keep in mind that I've never done this and don't know the result.

Experimental

There's a possibuility that it might work to dd (image copy) the partition you already have installed XP to. The reason I think this might work is that you may just as well make a disk image with dd, then the qemu option used in this howto.

Hardware problem:
    If you try this, you most likely have to boot with safemode and delete drivers for your Screen card, sound card, etc.

Disk space:
    with dd the image can be made so that it expands with the size of the disk, this meens that your result of the dd image copy may be smaller then the actual disk / partition you are copying from. At least it works like that when you create an empty image.

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/home/username/location_of_diskimage.img

More detailed description of dd here:
    http://www.cpqlinux.com/ddbackup.html
    www.vergic.com

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Would it work to use someone else's XP install CD, but use the CD key on my laptop? It would be legal, because I do own it, I just can't get it to install.

Worth a try, anyway. I know someone who has their CD where I'll be tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Would it work to use someone else's XP install CD, but use the CD key on my laptop? It would be legal, because I do own it, I just can't get it to install.

Worth a try, anyway. I know someone who has their CD where I'll be tomorrow.
    I afraid it might not work, different registration keys. Most recovery cd's have a seperate range of keys. And there also may be problems with the activation.
    www.vergic.com

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I got Windows installed by borrowing a friend's disk. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I got Windows installed by borrowing a friend's disk. Thanks!
    Glad it worked out for you
    www.vergic.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lunde
    Glad it worked out for you
    Hi everybody just a quick question:
    How to remove an earlyer installation that was done with make install?

I have tried make uninstall but it did not work
    I am just asking as i have to reinstall it.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by edemark
    Hi everybody just a quick question:
    How to remove an earlyer installation that was done with make install?

I have tried make uninstall but it did not work
    I am just asking as i have to reinstall it.

Thanks
    I suppose you used:
    $sudo make uninstall

I was pretty sure that would work, but I had the same problem after a kernel upgrade (Silly me), and I thought that was the reason it did'nt work.

I posted a question to the user forum of Qemu and will let you know as soon as i get an answere.

What's the reason for the reinstall? It may not be the best solution, but I thnk it's a possibuility to run another on top if it's not working.
    www.vergic.com

Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast