Installing UT2004 from the Unreal Anthology by Midway
(thanks to type98 and coffeeadikt for their posts)
NOTE: This How to takes notes from this guide.
NOTE: This installation was undertaken on a 32 bit machine running Ubuntu Edgy Eft, but might be applicable for other versions.
NOTE: Unshield might not work properly on your installation, especially if running the 64bit version. This might help. (See caveat)
NOTE: This worked for me but might not for you, if you have helpful additions then I would be grateful.
Preparation for Installation
The Midway Anthology DVD does not have an installer script. The files on the DVD are in an Installshield CAB format files that needs to be extracted. This cannot be done using cabextract as that is for Microsoft CAB files, instead we need a copy of "unshield".
1) Obtain a copy of "unshield" using your package manager or from SynCE - Unshield
2) Next, obtain the latest linux ut2004 patch (v3369 as of this writing) http://treefort.icculus.org/ut2004/u...ch3369.tar.bz2
3) Free up roughly 16GB of space for the install process, about 5.3GB for CAB files and 11GB for extracted files.
4) Mount the DVD if not already loaded/mounted (For example, if the DVD drive is /dev/hdb and the mount point is /mnt): # mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt
5) Copy CAB files to a temporary location, this can be done by going into the 10 directories named Disk 1 to 10 and copying the CAB files using your favourite file manager or by;
# mkdir junk; cd junk
/junk# cp /mnt/Disk?/data?.* .
/junk# cp /mnt/Disk10/data??.* .
[OPTIONAL METHOD IF UNSHIELD FAILS
5a - 6a) If unsheild is not working for you at all. svtfmook suggests extracting the CAB files using Wine and the windows version of Unshield, or just installing using the windows installer and copying the directories over afterward.]
6) Decompress the copied CAB files to the installation directory of choice (here using the following command in the temporary directory; unshield -d /install/directory -D3 x data1.cab
(Note: -D 3 turns debugging on)
(Note: make sure you have all 11 CAB files otherwise extraction will not work properly)
You should have now all four games in the one installation directory.
Note: It is probably possible to play the other games from this DVD but this guide is currently for UT2004
The other games are not needed, nor is windows executable, the directory called OCXFiles and any files starting with _ and Launcher
7) Delete all directories beginning with _, 1_, 2_ and 3_ and the executable
# rm -rf _* 1_* 2_* 3_* Launcher* All_UT2004.EXE OCXFiles
You should now have a directory looking like this
Note if you are not planning on playing in German, Spanish or French then remove any directories relating to those languages, this will save disk space
8) Remove other language options
# rm -rf *French *German* *Spanish *Italian
9) Remove UT2004 executable, again.
# rm -rf 4_UT2004_EXE
10) Move any files in the English appended directory to corresponding directory, e.g. 4_UT2004_Help_English to 4_UT2004_Help. And rename any directories ending with _All to its root e.g. Sounds_All to Sounds
11) Rename all directories so that the 4_UT2004_ is removed
This can be done in your favourite file browser by using the following bash script
for file in 4_UT2004_*
newname=`echo $file | sed -e 's/4_UT2004_//'`
mv $file $newname
Directory should now look like this
12) Now to get the Linux executables and other required files that are provided by the patch. Move the patch to the isntall directory and extract it.
Unpack the ut2004 linux patch
/install/directory# tar -jxf ut2004-lnxpatch3369.tar.bz2
Copy the all files+dir under UT2004-Patch into the top level
# cd UT2004-Patch
UT2004-Patch# tar cf - . |( cd .. ; tar xvf -)
13) Copy System files to the games system folder, the game requires, OpenAL and SDL
Make sure that the /install/directory/System has a local copy
of libSDL-1.2.so.0 and openal.so.
/install/directory/System# cp /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 ./libSDL-1.2.so.0
/install/directory/System# cp /usr/lib/libopenal.so.0.0.0 openal.so
14) Create text file called CDkey and insert your CD key into the first line
15 Run and enjoy
16) If you want MODs then follow
a) If you are wanting any mods, the easiest way to install them is to use the Loki installers. However the Loki installer will error on, "Game not installed" if you follow the above instructions. This is due to the installer looking for a file in a hidden directory. To solve this, copy the following text into a text document, rename file to ut2004.xml and place in "~/.loki/installed"
<product name="ut2004" desc="Unreal Tournament 2004" xmlversion="1.6"
<component name="__CDKEY__" version="3369" default="yes">
<option name="__CDKEY__" tag="__CDKEY__"></option>
Replace INSTALL_DIR with the installation directory used above.
b) The Loki installed mods have their own play scripts. They will look for an executable file called "ut2004" in the root of the install directory. Simply copy the following code into a file called ut2004, place it in the installation directory chmod +x it and presto!
while [ -L "$script" ]
script=`perl -e "print readlink(\"$script\"), \"\n\""`
count=`expr $count + 1`
if [ $count -gt 100 ]
echo "Too many symbolic links"