Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zenwalk experiences?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Zenwalk experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post
    Bonzodog, how does a minimal install of Ubuntu, adding whatever one needs, compare to a core install of Zenwalk, adding the exact same things, in terms of time and difficulty? I am not really interested in speed issues of the finished product (how fast and responsive the system is), but am wondering if doing a Zenwalk core install would take me longer and/or give me more headaches.

I'm mainly used to the debian way of doing things, though I have played very little before with rpm based distros and a tiny bit with zenwalk (until I broke my package management system -- don't ask )
    I find it easier personally - it took me two hours to custom build this system (45 minutes for install), the netpkg system is really easy to use from the CLI.

I started by adding X, which fetched all deps, then Openbox,obconf - now packaged for zenwalk - then got SLiM to handle login management, and then conky (no longer dependant on Audacious -yay!), and a few other apps as I went along. I then edited the inittab to boot into X, and I was flying. The network conf has a CLI curses front end, which is useful.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

Thank you, bonzodog. I might give it a go next time I need to reinstall on a particular computer I have. Does Zenwalk have a decent graphical package manager (ala Synaptic)? I've used Zenwalk in the past (about 1 year ago), but its graphical package manager was pretty bad. CL is fine, but I like a GUI if I am searching for some package/application.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Netpkg has a GUI front end xnetpkg. It is simple and reliable. It's also easy to search with xnetpkg and read dependencies. Xnetpkg does not look as fancy as synaptic, but it gets the job done.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans

I put ZW5 beta on my older IBM X41subnotebook with 512mb ram and it's running like a champ so far. I love the fact that they include Wicd now. Wireless control is much better as a result.

I also put it on my main desktop dual booted with WinXP. I installed the Nvidia drivers and copied my xorg.conf from my working install of OpenSuse and all is fine so far. I'm going to test it out for awhile and see how it plays with wine, virtualbox and some other tools.

So far so good.

Beans

Zenwalk seems to be able to find the right balance between the best of performance and enough comfort for those not having the time or knowledge to build there system on Slackware.
    Great dist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Just a reminder to everyone;
    Zenwalk has it's own channel on IRC, called #zenwalk.
    to join it, simply type, in the client,
    Code:
    /join #zenwalk
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

I just upgraded my Zen to 5.0, and all I can say is wow. Best OS I've ever used! Too bad there aren't more packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The Zenwalk repos have grown a lot over the past year. When I first started with Zenwalk over a year ago there were very few extra packages beyond what came on the install disk. Now Zenwalk users have a choice between xfce, kde, gnome, and enlightenment desktop enviornments. There are packages available for just about anything you would ever want to with Zenwalk. There will never be anything near the 20,000+ packages available in the Debian/Ubuntu repos; but I really think the package list is adequate for most users. The Zenwalk packages, although fewer in number, are generally more up to date and less buggy than what is available in the Ubuntu repos. I think it is a question of quality over quantity.
    Compiling programs from source also tends to work better in Zenwalk than it does in Ubuntu.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tommcd View Post
    Compiling programs from source also tends to work better in Zenwalk than it does in Ubuntu.
    True that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think Zenwalk is better than Xubuntu in performance and use.
    "Demasiada animalidad desfigura al hombre cultural, demasiada cultura crea animales enfermos."

-- Carl Gustav Jung

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast