Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zenwalk experiences?

Beans

Zenwalk experiences?

I gave Zenwalk a try before but was frustrated by a very slow boot (once I had installed madwifi), failure to ever get wireless up and running, and a buggy XFCE that crashed my apps when I moved windows.

I know that everyone else seems to love the distro...have you been able to overcome these problems and make Zenwalk a truly day-to-day machine?

I'm curious about typical tasks like...organizing photos, music, using an iPod, ripping CDs, creating documents for work, playing games, etc.

Beans

Re: Zenwalk experiences?

Very easily. I would admit that Zenwalk does not make having of other window managers or certain things as easily as Ubuntu or pclinuxos. I loved it for a while and still consider it one of the fastest distros that is feature rich. I am back to trying out Ubuntu feisty and pclinuxos2007. These are very easy to use distro. Sam linux is nice as well and like Zenwalk is xfce 4.4 based. However, Zenwalk just flies much faster.

Granted you have to install flash, and any other thing you may need.

If you've never used Zenwalk much before, you may be blown away once you get familiar to its simplistic way of functioning.

It also has a great gui and cli package manager for installing softwares similar to apt-get or synaptic from Ubuntu or other debian-based distros.

It is slackware made very simple. I can do samba, amarok, burn dvd or CDs, create documents. Playing games., and everything.

The system is not bloated. However, you may complain on things like auto-mounting. When I put a DVD, I expect it to pop open a prompt like in windows or ubuntu or many others that a media has been detected. Zenwalk just waits for you to click on the media icon to launch it. No real big deal though.

Beryl ran beautifully on it last time I used it. Beryl runs faster on Zenwalk than on Ubuntu. Give it a try. But Ubuntu makes having apps ridiculously easier.
    My favorite distros: Archbang / Manjaro / Sabayon
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, ZorinOS, Vectorlinux

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Agreed. Insanely fast and if you don´t mind it keeping it simple (like forget about that ¨vast as an ocean¨ ubuntu repo in favour of the ¨one tool for every task¨ philosophy) and doing some things manually (perhaps even ¨reading¨ something, after all it wasn´t that long ago when ubuntu required reading too) it´s the kind of distro that makes your machine... well... enjoy being yours - no resource consumption beyond the absolute necessary, everything you need and a tight community (thought still not as vast as the ubuntu or gentoo ones I guess).
    I currently am double-booting Zenwalk and Ubuntu, so believe me - I am talking first hand here.
    Peace to you friend.
    Burn.

Oh, and sorry if I sounded a bit like some guy from a TV commercial. It´s just a satisfied guy talking.
    Ubuntu linux - not only for humans but for women too...
    Everyone possesses the divine spark. From there on it just takes an ounce of faith and the ego of a true god.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I don't use wireless, so I can't comment on that. I have found zen to be fast and rock solid stable. It has never crashed for me. Updating from zen 4.2 to zen 4.4.1 was problem free as well. As others have said, zen does not have a vast ocean of software in their netpkg repos, but what they have is up to date and works well. Zen uses lilo, which I have yet to figure out. I boot zen with grub from ubuntu. Also gaming is excellent. I play quake4, sauerbraten, and nexuiz just fine on my nvidia 6200.
    Last edited by tommcd; April 2nd, 2007 at 02:04 AM.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: Zenwalk experiences?

I had Zen 3 running on several machines for a while last year, and really loved the OS. Lightning fast & after you get used to the "SlackWay" of doing things, pretty straightforward for the most part.

I gave up using it though, mainly because WiFi support wasn't that great at the time (Although it's probably improved now). I have since had a go (Several times) at installing 4.4.1 on my new laptop (Zepto 6615WD) but although it installs OK, it's soooo time-consuming to get it setup how i'd like it. The screen display is a basic 1024x768 when the Zepto has the ability to go 1680x1050, and there are a few other problems.

If it would install & configure as easily as Ubuntu then i'd probably run it as well as Ubuntu on this machine. I'm currently using Feisty though, and it's just soooo damn good i can't see me using anything else for a while.

But yeah, on the whole, i'd say that Zenwalk is "Wonderful" OS & well worth a try.
    Registered Linux user: #413753 | Ubuntu user: #7595
    | Tiny Me | antiX | Zenwalk |

Beans

Same as Djinn. I have been using Feisty and it just rocks. Granted Zenwalk is faster in performance, I just find Ubuntu a bit easier with the upgrade path and ease of installing new softwares. Look for example at the ease of getting e17 on Ubuntu versus with Zenwalk or most other non-debian-based distributions.
    My favorite distros: Archbang / Manjaro / Sabayon
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, ZorinOS, Vectorlinux

Beans

I love Zenwalk! At times I'm frustrated by my own ignorance, but never the less it's on my ThinkPad right now...Thunar and everything else is very fast, Abiword does everything I need etc...But I'm using my MacBook with )SX as both my internet machine and productivity machine until I can work out the following:

* Real wireless support (boots on launch, auto-connect to open networks, WEP and WPA support, and no root login to get into Wifi Radar)
    * Ethernet card up: the last couple times around with the distro, I haven't even been able to get my eth0 up and running. ifonfig etho up gets it to show up with a vanilla "iconfig" command, but it doesn't work and on quitting the terminal, it appears to be back down. (Frustrating as hell)
    * Laptop settings: Suspend on lid close, most importantly. In fact, I have no sleep modes...

Beyond that, I can handle everything on my own. Building apps from source, etc. is no problem, nor is retrieving dependencies as long as I have enough time (I became experienced in this when building and installing games like Super Tux).

If I only I knew what I were doing...

P.S. XFCE, in my opinion, is much better than GNOME and KDE. I have yet to find anything in GNOME that XFCE lacks, only XFCE is much faster and better looking. I'd like to make the buttons smaller, but I'll figure that out later. If I had to rank 'em, I'd say that XFCE just edges KDE and blows away GNOME. KDE is needlessly slow.

Beans

Talking Re: Zenwalk experiences?

Zenwalk is really amazing dirstro i have ever used till now. Its stable very classy look and very trouble free to use. I always work on it, even though i have Ubuntu and Suse and crappy installed on my system.

Crappy=Windows.
    My linux registered number-438221
    Use Zenwalk, its SMALL and SEXY and VERY SLIM distro. Its very fast. I love it.
    Zenwalk.org

Beans

I've recently switched to Zen, wanted to try anoter distro before moving on to feisty.

Getting a few problems where my laptop brightness shortcut would restart my xserver, finding info and installing additional alternatives doesn't feel as easy without synaptic and apt-get and ubuntuforums large database.
    I've jut barely started using so I don't really know yet how good or bad the package installer is, took me quite a while to find out where to get the necessary packages and dependencies for beryl, install it but it end up crashing often, and a few problems where it keep me from logging back in, I'll try to find out what's going on when I have the time, but it certainly isn't as easy as just doing apt-get update to get the latest svns like in ubuntu =)

So far it's a really fast and responsive os but getting what I need working and actually finding info and the solutions is harder than ubuntu, I found 100% of my problems and the solutions through just searching on ubuntuforum but I find it harder with zen, and google doesn't help that much, but I haven't really spent too much time with it so maybe I'm just not looking at the right place (wanted to jump right in so I kind of skipped a lot of texts)

Hopefully I'll solve the tiny problems since I'd really want to use zen for a bit, I really like how slim it is and I've liked xfce for a while, however I didn't feel it being that much faster than xubuntu other than the super fast boot time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have installed once, on my other partition, when Ubuntu abandoned me (yes, it did twice), but I couldn't figure out how to get my wireless dongle to work (and had no internet to get some info) and I eventually gave up on that distro. It looked nice, though, I might come back and try it in the future...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast